Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know Dylan interviewed with Dr. Rouch but I am curious as to the other Ph.Ds that took part in the interviews yesterday. If anyone that interviewed this week still has their interview list would you all mind posting up the professors? I'm just curious. I thought I knew all of the teaching staff last year but was interviewed by a member of the forensics faculty instead of a biomedical sciences faculty member which I though was odd. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard of any interview invites for December?
I know Dylan interviewed with Dr. Rouch but I am curious as to the other Ph.Ds that took part in the interviews yesterday. If anyone that interviewed this week still has their interview list would you all mind posting up the professors? I'm just curious. I thought I knew all of the teaching staff last year but was interviewed by a member of the forensics faculty instead of a biomedical sciences faculty member which I though was odd. Thanks!

Who from the forensics faculty interviewed you??

I interviewed on Tuesday. It was very relaxed and very conversational. Questions just seemed to arise out of normal conversation. Obviously know why you want to be a physician, especially go into the DO route. My interviewers were Dr. Eddy and a clinical psychologist.. I want to say Dr. Redwood, but I know that's probably wrong. Anyways, they were both super sweet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this school more inclined to accept in state applicants vs oos?

Very much so. I can't remember the exact stats but I think it is somewhere around 80% in state 20% OOS. Students from OOS tend to have very impressive/elite stats. By comparison, I know some in state students that were accepted with 22 MCATs and 3.0 GPAs.

Very much so. I can't remember the exact stats but I think it is somewhere around 80% in state 20% OOS. Students from OOS tend to have very impressive/elite stats. By comparison, I know some in state students that were accepted with 22 MCATs and 3.0 GPAs.
Thank you for your reply! I have a 3.8s/3.85c gpa and 30 mcat but oos. I have well over 500 clinical hours and have about 50 shadowing hours. Do you thing that this is competitive enough being oos?

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps some of the OOS folks that have already interviewed could post up their stats for you. I would think that it would at least be worth a shot. Those stats are higher than the class average as a whole, but I am not sure of the OOS average stats. You gotta figure all the OOS'ers that are being considered are really competitive and will have similar stats, hours and experience. Do you have any family or other personal ties to Oklahoma? Do you have a specific reason for wanting to go to school in Oklahoma?

Thank you for your reply! I have a 3.8s/3.85c gpa and 30 mcat but oos. I have well over 500 clinical hours and have about 50 shadowing hours. Do you thing that this is competitive enough being oos?
Yes, by all means apply and the sooner the better.

Has anyone heard of any interview invites for December?

Who from the forensics faculty interviewed you??

I just got a call this afternoon... for an interview next Thursday!! It's short notice, but I'm still excited to interview. From what everyone is saying, it should be a pretty laid back interview. I'll soon see!

I just got a call this afternoon... for an interview next Thursday!! It's short notice, but I'm still excited to interview. From what everyone is saying, it should be a pretty laid back interview. I'll soon see!

Congratulations! Yeah, I hear the same. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Curious about the username...are you from Costa Rica?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait listed today... :(
That was fast. It hasn't even been a week since you interviewed, has it?

And yeah, while it's not an acceptance, being waitlisted at this school is not as bad as it is at a lot of other schools. A very significant portion of the class comes off the waitlist.

That was fast. It hasn't even been a week since you interviewed, has it?

And yeah, while it's not an acceptance, being waitlisted at this school is not as bad as it is at a lot of other schools. A very significant portion of the class comes off the waitlist.
Yeah, it wasn't even a week ago. They told us that half of last year's class was waitlisted, so I am not as worried as I could be. Just thought the interview went a lot better, but it probably has more to do with my science GPA.

Got the call yesterday, I've been accepted! Interview was exactly one week previously. Super excited about it, and anxious to meet all the new students!

Reactions: 2 users
Have you been there? Not many people pick up on that
My dad was born there.

Hey, do you speak fluently? I'm afraid that my Spanish skills will deteriorate after college and was looking for opportunities to practice in Tulsa. If you get in, you should come find me. My name is Michael, and I assume you're a fellow OU student since I went to Arezzo with your friend in your picture, haha.

Got the call yesterday, I've been accepted! Interview was exactly one week previously. Super excited about it, and anxious to meet all the new students!
Congratulations! Are you IS or OOS

Hey guys! I'm currently a first year student at OSU-COM. Feel free to seed me a PM with any questions that you have and I'll give ya some advice! I love this school by the way. I choose my acceptance here even though I had an acceptance at OU first.

I got the call Tuesday, accepted! Excited to meet the new students! Anyone know anything about the Facebook group yet?

Reactions: 1 users
All of my information is uploaded on the portal but it still says I am incomplete. Should I contact the school?

I'm just curious... Does OSU send out acceptance letters through the mail? I've already paid my deposit and everything, and its been a week since I got the acceptance call. I was just wondering if they also sent letters through mail. It would be nice to have a paper copy.

I'm just curious... Does OSU send out acceptance letters through the mail? I've already paid my deposit and everything, and its been a week since I got the acceptance call. I was just wondering if they also sent letters through mail. It would be nice to have a paper copy.

You should have received a UPS Next Day Air package the day after you got the phone call with all the forms you need to sign. But you said you paid the deposit, and the deposit form is in there too, so did yours not have the letter in that?

All the forms I received, including the acceptance letter, were on the secondary application site. I didn't get a packet either, so I'm guessing they're going paperless this year.

I agree there's nothing better than a nice clean hard copy of something like this. I downloaded the PDF and printed off for keepsakes.

Excited!

Paperless acceptance letters? You guys were robbed!

It doesn't look so good for OOS people so far

Interview today was everything I expected and more. Nicest faculty, staff and students. I was the only person from OOS, but I felt right at home.

Okay, I was just basing things off of last years thread where people got letters in the mail. I just figured mine had gotten lost haha. I wish we did get a paper copy, but I suppose now I can find some of that nice linen paper and print the PDF and make it look fancy ;)

Has anyone waitlisted been accepted off the wait list yet?

Does anyone have an idea of how full the class is for august?

Does anyone know if the DO letter requirement is a deal breaker for this school? I'm unsure if I'll be able to acquire one for next year's cycle, and if I can't and they require it then obviously I wouldn't be able to get accepted so why bother applying.

Does anyone know if the DO letter requirement is a deal breaker for this school? I'm unsure if I'll be able to acquire one for next year's cycle, and if I can't and they require it then obviously I wouldn't be able to get accepted so why bother applying.
I'm pretty sure it's a deal breaker for this school. You can always call and ask. You have at least six months to get a letter, are there no DOs anywhere around you?

I'm pretty sure it's a deal breaker for this school. You can always call and ask. You have at least six months to get a letter, are there no DOs anywhere around you?

there are some DOs but not sure they're comfortable handing out letters unless they know the person quite well

there are some DOs but not sure they're comfortable handing out letters unless they know the person quite well
Just approach some of them, or even one of them, and inquire about shadowing. I cold called people as many were very willing to accommodate a prospective student. They have been in your shoes and remember when it was necessary for them to stand on another's shoulders. You've got so much time to get the letter, there really isn't any reason you can't obtain one if you are entirely serious about pursuing this.

Will anyone else be attending the Feb admitted student day?

Have there been any OOS acceptances yet?

Have there been any OOS acceptances yet?

I received my letter in November so I know there have been at least a few OOS acceptance given. I'm not sure what the class make up is thus far, but I am confident that there will be quite a few more OOS to be accepted.

Got an interview invite! So excited!

Reactions: 1 users
Those of you who are waitlisted....how have you been contacting the office to update them of your activities, etc? Through phone or email? And how often?