Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, everyone.

I was waitlisted at OSU last year and remained on the waitlist until June when I was informed of my rejection :(
As a reapplicant, are my chances of getting in higher?

IS, 3.5 cumulative, 3.3 science, 24 MCAT (taking the MCAT2015 in September)
I would be sure to notify them of your MCAT date for your retake since they start interviewing in October. If you haven't obtained anything new since you were rejected, then your chances are lower. When you are a re-applicant schools want to know what you did to improve your application from the previous year. If you took steps to do this, then you should be okay with a little higher MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard anything since submitting? The online portal shows I am complete, but I still haven't heard anything.

They probably won't be handing out interview invitations for a few weeks. Interviews usually start in mid-October and about 2-3 weeks of notice are given. Of course, things could always change from previous years.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looking forward to hearing about everyone getting interviews and acceptances for the class of 2020! I am doing the DO/MPH right now so I'll be one of your classmates when we start next year. Great luck with your applications!

This is my school of choice, but I'm late to the party. Going to hustle to get a deadline application put in... The first of February is still a ways out, but I need every second I can get. Wish me luck!

Just curious, but for those of you who have received a secondary, how long did it take to get a secondary after being verified by AACOMAS?

Just curious, but for those of you who have received a secondary, how long did it take to get a secondary after being verified by AACOMAS?

I received it the day after I was verified

Is there an alternative for the required letters of recommendation for non-trad students? Would multiple (minimum 4) physician letters (MD and DO) suffice if the applicant has a non-science member letter of recommendation (political figure such as a State Representative or Senator)

-Have a scheduled visit to discuss with the admissions. just trying to get as much info as possible

Is there an alternative for the required letters of recommendation for non-trad students? Would multiple (minimum 4) physician letters (MD and DO) suffice if the applicant has a non-science member letter of recommendation (political figure such as a State Representative or Senator)

-Have a scheduled visit to discuss with the admissions. just trying to get as much info as possible
I've read that schools do not like recommendations from politicians and celebrities. You run the risk of seeming to suggest, from an admissions committee perspective, that you believe you should be accepted based upon who you are and who you know, rather than your own abilities, accomplishments, and personal characteristics.

not a show of clout or connections. worked with him during an interim study.

Can we submit the secondary without being invited first? Does anyone have the link?

OSU emailed me the link right after my aacomas received, less than 3 days my mcat score was released. You can always email their admissions dept for guidance.

Hey Everyone I wanted to ask if I might be in the right path for OSU. I graduated with a 2.9c and a 2.7s, so I decoded to retake classes to improve my GPA. I haven't taken the MCAT but I'm taking it in Jan. I've done shadowing and research but I will also continue it until I get accepted. I will be classified as a resident by this year so I wanted to know the chances I have or what I should do to make myself more appealing to the admission board.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone I wanted to ask if I might be in the right path for OSU. I graduated with a 2.9c and a 2.7s, so I decoded to retake classes to improve my GPA. I haven't taken the MCAT but I'm taking it in Jan. I've done shadowing and research but I will also continue it until I get accepted. I will be classified as a resident by this year so I wanted to know the chances I have or what I should do to make myself more appealing to the admission board.
Step 1. Score highly on the MCAT
Step 2. Get your GPAs over 3.25
Step 3. Become an OK resident
Step 4. Gain clinical experience if you haven't yet
Step 5. Get accepted

Step 1. Score highly on the MCAT
Step 2. Get your GPAs over 3.25
Step 3. Become an OK resident
Step 4. Gain clinical experience if you haven't yet
Step 5. Get accepted
Thanks for the info but right now I'm taking classes over and I also taken classes over at the school I graduated from. I wanted to know how do osteopathic school calculate a student GPA after he finish retaking the class

Replace the old grade with the new grade. Voila.

Yep get on it. You can call the school and they can provide physicians to shadow
I called the school and they had no clue what I was talking about. Do they really have a list of physicians to shadow? Was I supposed to contact admissions or someone else?

Hopefully IIs go out next week...

How long after your submitting your primary application did you receive your secondary invite?

Still haven't heard anything and my application has been completed for a while. Good Luck to everyone!

If we are currently in school, do we need to answer the first secondary app question about other things we are doing while in school (i.e., work, EC's)? Also, is anybody actually using 500 words for the "Is there any additional information you would like the college to know about you?" question because I feel like they will have plenty to go off with the AACOMAS and Why OSU essay?

Got an II today. OOS applicant. They called me and I scheduled it for the end of october. I'm excited! Complete somewhere around 7/20 and LizzyM score ~65

II today. In state applicant. Date: October 30th.

Good luck to everyone who has gotten interviews!

Last edited:
Good job everyone. OSU is an excellent school. Best of luck during your interview!

Submitted primary just now. OOS but ~65 LM.

Good luck to everyone with interviews, so far!

As an oos resident (TX), I'm curious as to the amount of oos students OSU takes, versus is students. Does anyone know the percentage of in-state students OSU takes? I can't find anything in my research about the school itself.

Also, on the "application information" page of the secondary, in the space titled "legal residency," what did everyone put for that? City, State or just State?

If we're interested in a dual degree, like DO/MBA or DO/MPH, and we submit the secondary, will our application be looked at and reviewed, or will we have to submit the corresponding "/[additional degree]" documentation before OSU starts reviewing? I might want to go the MBA route, but if it means my application won't be looked at until additional MBA documentation is turned in, then I have second thoughts.

Last edited:
Their website says 86% of the class are OK residents.

Good luck to everyone with interviews, so far!

As an oos resident (TX), I'm curious as to the amount of oos students OSU takes, versus is students. Does anyone know the percentage of in-state students OSU takes? I can't find anything in my research about the school itself.

Also, on the "application information" page of the secondary, in the space titled "legal residency," what did everyone put for that? City, State or just State?

If we're interested in a dual degree, like DO/MBA or DO/MPH, and we submit the secondary, will our application be looked at and reviewed, or will we have to submit the corresponding "/[additional degree]" documentation before OSU starts reviewing? I might want to go the MBA route, but if it means my application won't be looked at until additional MBA documentation is turned in, then I have second thoughts.
Your application will be reviewed if you select a dual-degree interest box just like any applicant. You need to first have a successful interview to the med school before you can be in the dual-degree programs with a deferred acceptance. As an OOS applicant, you might want to call and ask what are your chances of getting in a dual-degree program. I guess you could always do a 2-1-2 track once you're already in med school if you don't get the 1-4.

Their website says 86% of the class are OK residents.

Hmm, not liking that number. Thanks!

Your application will be reviewed if you select a dual-degree interest box just like any applicant. You need to first have a successful interview to the med school before you can be in the dual-degree programs with a deferred acceptance. As an OOS applicant, you might want to call and ask what are your chances of getting in a dual-degree program. I guess you could always do a 2-1-2 track once you're already in med school if you don't get the 1-4.

Thanks! Yeah, the 2-1-2 might be the better way to go about doing a dual-degree program.

Thanks! Yeah, the 2-1-2 might be the better way to go about doing a dual-degree program.

Oklahoma State is one of the very few public Osteopathic schools. They are very biased towards in-state applicants and I believe they only take between 10-18 oos applicants a year out of around 120 seats, give or take.

If you had to estimate... What do you think the avg. stats are for accepted OOS'ers?

If you had to estimate... What do you think the avg. stats are for accepted OOS'ers?
You don't have to guess, you can find the exact stats online. But, OOS applicants are going to be exceptional applicants I would assume. OSU has as average cGPA and sGPA of 3.65 and 27 MCAT so I would assume an OOS applicant would be much higher than that. OSU also has the largest Teaching hospital in the nation in downtown Tulsa. It is pretty amazing.

Good luck applying everyone! I'm a first year student but I used the OSU thread a lot last year to keep up with what was going on interview/application wise, etc. OSU is seriously the best. If you get an interview here, it will be a great experience. Everyone treats everyone like family and everyone helps you out if you are struggling. Med school is tough, but being in such a positive environment with great people makes it so much better.

Also for those of you wondering, my class is 115 and I would say maybe 8-10 are from out of state. My best advice is to apply early and get your secondary in as soon as possible, since it gets "harder" to get accepted as time goes on since it is on rolling admissions.

Good luck applying everyone! I'm a first year student but I used the OSU thread a lot last year to keep up with what was going on interview/application wise, etc. OSU is seriously the best. If you get an interview here, it will be a great experience. Everyone treats everyone like family and everyone helps you out if you are struggling. Med school is tough, but being in such a positive environment with great people makes it so much better.

Also for those of you wondering, my class is 115 and I would say maybe 8-10 are from out of state. My best advice is to apply early and get your secondary in as soon as possible, since it gets "harder" to get accepted as time goes on since it is on rolling admissions.
I have a friend who is MS4 here. All of the osteopathic physicians I have shadowed are from OSU. It is a great school. I live down the road from OSU-CHS.

You don't have to guess, you can find the exact stats online. But, OOS applicants are going to be exceptional applicants I would assume. OSU has as average cGPA and sGPA of 3.65 and 27 MCAT so I would assume an OOS applicant would be much higher than that. OSU also has the largest Teaching hospital in the nation in downtown Tulsa. It is pretty amazing.

Right.... Hence the question. I doubt any school publishes OOS matriculant stats. Doesn't matter anyway, I've already applied, just asking out of curiosity.

Right.... Hence the question. I doubt any school publishes OOS matriculant stats. Doesn't matter anyway, I've already applied, just asking out of curiosity.
I didn't mean to come off the wrong way, I was just sort of "thinking out loud." OSU is an amazing school with a mission to provide physicians to Oklahoma based on need, do you by any chance have strong ties or obligations to oklahoma?

Can we exceed four LOR's if we have one extra that would be very good from someone not related to school?

I didn't mean to come off the wrong way, I was just sort of "thinking out loud." OSU is an amazing school with a mission to provide physicians to Oklahoma based on need, do you by any chance have strong ties or obligations to oklahoma?

It's all good! No ties to Oklahoma, other than living an hour from the TX-OK border

It's all good! No ties to Oklahoma, other than living an hour from the TX-OK border
I am kind of in the same boat being an hour from the border, though I am north of Oklahoma. I am hoping that plays a factor because this is my top choice!

No ties here either, but personally, I think I would stay in OK if I'm going to be a medical student / intern / resident / practicing physician for X years.

Off topic: I wonder how many students leave their medical school's state once they're a licensed physician. I can't imagine it'd be too many.

I am kind of in the same boat being an hour from the border, though I am north of Oklahoma. I am hoping that plays a factor because this is my top choice!

No ties here either, but personally, I think I would stay in OK if I'm going to be a medical student / intern / resident / practicing physician for X years.

Off topic: I wonder how many students leave their medical school's state once they're a licensed physician. I can't imagine it'd be too many.

I wish you all the best of luck this cycle and I do think they do a good job screening for interviews, however I don't think OSU puts anymore emphasis on a studend just because they live on the boarder. I have talked to Sara (adm. coord.) and she says if you have any questions it is a good idea to call the bursars office to talk about ties or relativity to your close living situation. I love OSU. I grew up right down the road from it, my mentors are alumni from this university and i have 3 friends in OSMS4 here. It is a fantastic facility, don't give up.

I wish you all the best of luck this cycle and I do think they do a good job screening for interviews, however I don't think OSU puts anymore emphasis on a studend just because they live on the boarder. I have talked to Sara (adm. coord.) and she says if you have any questions it is a good idea to call the bursars office to talk about ties or relativity to your close living situation. I love OSU. I grew up right down the road from it, my mentors are alumni from this university and i have 3 friends in OSMS4 here. It is a fantastic facility, don't give up.

Hmm, not sure why I was quoted, but I definitely agree with the IS status actually having to be IS. Nothing wrong with that policy. OrdinaryDO, are you looking to get in OSU as well?

Hmm, not sure why I was quoted, but I definitely agree with the IS status actually having to be IS. Nothing wrong with that policy. OrdinaryDO, are you looking to get in OSU as well?
Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention the comment I quoted you for. I was just going to say that as Osteopathic physicians I could imagine the rate of students leaving their D.O. schools would much higher than M.D. schools for the simple fact that their are many D.O. schools that are privately funded and have no preference for IS vs OOS, therefor I could see there being a lot of OOS students coming for medical school, then returning back home. But, this may not be the case. Many students form a sense of loyalty for the region that has taken them in and treated them well. I plan on staying wherever I get accepted. Oklahoma State is my home University and 20 minutes from my house. I would have free transportation, rent, food, etc. If I got in to OSU. I am also an IS resident, so I have better shot at getting a look here than elsewhere. But, I am open to whoever gives me the time of day. Burrell is looking very nice, also.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention the comment I quoted you for. I was just going to say that as Osteopathic physicians I could imagine the rate of students leaving their D.O. schools would much higher than M.D. schools for the simple fact that their are many D.O. schools that are privately funded and have no preference for IS vs OOS, therefor I could see there being a lot of OOS students coming for medical school, then returning back home. But, this may not be the case. Many students form a sense of loyalty for the region that has taken them in and treated them well. I plan on staying wherever I get accepted. Oklahoma State is my home University and 20 minutes from my house. I would have free transportation, rent, food, etc. If I got in to OSU. I am also an IS resident, so I have better shot at getting a look here than elsewhere. But, I am open to whoever gives me the time of day. Burrell is looking very nice, also.
The # who leave the state where they went to medical school is very high. There are lot of variables at play, but the availability of residencies is a big one. For instance, graduates from U of Chicago are a lot more likely to stay in Chicago than Creighton's graduates are to stay in Omaha. Nevertheless a high portion of each will still leave. Far more docs stay where they finish residency as you are ready to go into practice at that point and many are not anxious to move yet again.