Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So on the portal, it says letters not complete, but if i click on that it shows all of my letters...is this just a portal entry thing once they confirm that they have the DO, science x2, and conscience letters specifically?

Members don't see this ad.

So on the portal, it says letters not complete, but if i click on that it shows all of my letters...is this just a portal entry thing once they confirm that they have the DO, science x2, and conscience letters specifically?
That's my guess. They check them in and actually read them separately. Probably by seperate people.

Reactions: 1 user
Mavs88, Ive got a similar situation. AACOMAS shows my Committee letter and other Professor letter are received (still waiting on the DO one, but soon), but on my secondary application on OSU-CHS it does not show either of them received yet and application still incomplete. Im just waiting until have DO letter than if still not showing was going to look into more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone with interviews, so far!

As an oos resident (TX), I'm curious as to the amount of oos students OSU takes, versus is students. Does anyone know the percentage of in-state students OSU takes? I can't find anything in my research about the school itself.

Also, on the "application information" page of the secondary, in the space titled "legal residency," what did everyone put for that? City, State or just State?

If we're interested in a dual degree, like DO/MBA or DO/MPH, and we submit the secondary, will our application be looked at and reviewed, or will we have to submit the corresponding "/[additional degree]" documentation before OSU starts reviewing? I might want to go the MBA route, but if it means my application won't be looked at until additional MBA documentation is turned in, then I have second thoughts.
I know for OU Med State Reagents mandate 75% of class must be in-state; I would 'assume' then too that OSU Med would have same 75% requirement, although I did see that historically it is even higher like 80-90% instate at OSU Med.

No ties here either, but personally, I think I would stay in OK if I'm going to be a medical student / intern / resident / practicing physician for X years.

Off topic: I wonder how many students leave their medical school's state once they're a licensed physician. I can't imagine it'd be too many.
What I found when I asked was that about 40-50% of Oklahoma medical school graduates match during the fourth year with a residency program in Oklahoma. I know that doesnt tell you how many stay after residency but gives some idea I'd say.

I know for OU Med State Reagents mandate 75% of class must be in-state; I would 'assume' then too that OSU Med would have same 75% requirement, although I did see that historically it is even higher like 80-90% instate at OSU Med.
They quote it directly on the OSU-CHS website that they take a major percentage of IS vs OOS. Now, I don't want to just throw out random numbers but I thought it was somewhere between 80%-90% of IS. You can go look it up if you want the actual number, but I do remember seeing this along with their quoted "Strong preference for in-state students."

I had a similar situation. I just called And they said it was in a different system and that my application was complete. They fixed it all and everything was fine so I would call them if I were you.

I had a similar situation. I just called And they said it was in a different system and that my application was complete. They fixed it all and everything was fine so I would call them if I were you.
Thanks for letting me know!!

Once your app is complete, where can you see possible decisions made on the app or possible II? Will it show up under your status on the app?

Once your app is complete, where can you see possible decisions made on the app or possible II? Will it show up under your status on the app?
No, they will call you if you were accepted, but I don't think they say anything else on the portal. I am not 100% sure, though. Did you interview?

I
No, they will call you if you were accepted, but I don't think they say anything else on the portal. I am not 100% sure, though. Did you interview?
I haven't interviewed yet. I was just wondering because some schools list interview status on the portal as well.

Hey guys quick question, my application was completed on Oct.19th, I was wondering when should I expect to hear back from them? any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks lot!

Hey guys quick question, my application was completed on Oct.19th, I was wondering when should I expect to hear back from them? any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks lot!
After your 'file complete' notification, it's a waiting game. Interviews conclude in March. As of today, there have been no interviews for this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
They start interviewing in October, so it is a bit later than some of the other schools' tracks. Also, they heavily favorin-state, so if you are OOS then expect to wait a little longer than usual.

After your 'file complete' notification, it's a waiting game. Interviews conclude in March. As of today, there have been no interviews for this cycle.
This process has already begun.

Got an interiew today. Instate and LizzyM 69
I am jealous. OSU is such an amazing college. But, don't worry folks I have a friend who is OMS4 and he told me he received his interview in January and didn't hear a single word from them until March when they accepted him (I would assume he was taken from the wait list.) I hear that OSU takes almost half their class from the wait list, but this is unconfirmed. I hope so! ;) Good luck with the interview, you will rock it!

Instate interview offered today (don't ask about my username lol). Lizzy M ~65, URM, a lot of clinical experience. Hope to see some of you there!

congrats

jealous im instate too and pretty good scores, no invite yet

Instate interview today as well! So freaking excited :)

Got a II today. In-state resident. Grew up 2 miles from the school. MCAT-505 and GPA-3.91. Interview is on November 6th. SUPER EXCITED!!!

congrats

jealous im instate too and pretty good scores, no invite yet
Don't worry, this is their very first round of interviews and it is in their nature to interview/accept students well beyond January and more into the March time zone. We have time! :) keep your head up. *fingers crossed*

IS. Reapplicant. not sure what a 'LizzyM' score is... (if I am being honest). undergrad sGPA ~3.3 cGPA ~3.1. Current graduate student-- gGPA 4.0. 2+ years research exp, 8 years working in the medical field. Im really hoping to interview at OSU this cycle!

@Expo1776 LizzyM is just your GPA multiplied by 10, added to your MCAT score converted to the old scale -1. For example, 3.5 x10 =35 + 25(old mcat) = 60-1= 59

hope that wasn't too confusing

oh okay. do you add combined GPA or is just undergrad, just science, etc.? and what exactly does that tell you?? I assume a relative competitiveness?

oh okay. do you add combined GPA or is just undergrad, just science, etc.? and what exactly does that tell you?? I assume a relative competitiveness?
its different at each school how they calculate. The one from oklahoma I spoke to called it a 'cognitive score' and it was what they use to offer interview. In their case they use the undergraduate 'science' BPCM GPA and the MCAT score. However each is not weighted the same.

its different at each school how they calculate. The one from oklahoma I spoke to called it a 'cognitive score' and it was what they use to offer interview. In their case they use the undergraduate 'science' BPCM GPA and the MCAT score. However each is not weighted the same.
They don't factor in math in AACOMAS.

Got an II today for OSU! Interview is next week!

Reactions: 3 users
Got an II today for OSU! Interview is next week!
Embrace it, own it, and you'll get it. I can't speak highly enough for OSU-CHS--they are EXTRAORDINARY and anyone who attends is lucky to be there. Best of luck with your interview and I hope all goes well! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to the people that got II, can yall tell us how long after your file was complete that you received the II? Thanks and best of luck!

Congrats to the people that got II, can yall tell us how long after your file was complete that you received the II? Thanks and best of luck!

They JUST started sending out interviews, so I don't think completion times are important for this school.

GO POKES!

ive heard a lot of negative back-lash from the students there (1st -3rd years) about the new curriculum. Can anyone testify to this? ive been hearing stories that the step 1 scores were dramatically lower for the current 3rd years, issues with professors being cold/standoff-ish/generally unavailable for help, disorganization, bad board prep, etc. I have many friends there in all 3 of those classes and many of them have said that the new curriculum is causing a lot of people to be "left behind" so to speak, and the overall attitude among students has been becoming more increasingly negative because of it. kinda scary to hear good friends of mine, who are extremely gifted students, tell me that they hate med school and that they kinda wish they went somewhere else... any current students have thoughts on this?

ive heard a lot of negative back-lash from the students there (1st -3rd years) about the new curriculum. Can anyone testify to this? ive been hearing stories that the step 1 scores were dramatically lower for the current 3rd years, issues with professors being cold/standoff-ish/generally unavailable for help, disorganization, bad board prep, etc. I have many friends there in all 3 of those classes and many of them have said that the new curriculum is causing a lot of people to be "left behind" so to speak, and the overall attitude among students has been becoming more increasingly negative because of it. kinda scary to hear good friends of mine, who are extremely gifted students, tell me that they hate med school and that they kinda wish they went somewhere else... any current students have thoughts on this?
My friend is a 4th year. I'm not aware of a recent curriculum change, but I've heard nothing but good about OSU.

There has been a curriculum change going on the last few years. I can't speak a whole lot to this as I am a current 4th year and the change did not affect my class at all. I haven't heard great things about the new curriculum, but I don't know details on that. I never had a problem with any of the professors, some are more friendly than others, and some are definitely more standoff-ish, but it never bothered me. I think since Goljan left the school has been having a hard time with board prep and from what I can tell the new curriculum doesn't really teach with a focus on boards. There are still plenty of people doing very well on boards, but I have heard that the last years average went down quite a bit. 3rd and 4th year education is great, it's so convenient having OSUMC in Tulsa and not having to move around for many rotations. After doing audition rotations, you realize how fortunate you are to have quality rotations without having to move all over the country during 3rd year. Some of the office staff is pretty terrible to work with and are not very helpful in setting stuff up for rotations, but that seems to be the complaint at every school.

Med students in general love to complain. Especially during years 1-2 when life sucks, and during your core rotations during third year. So take everything you hear with a grain of salt. No matter what school you go to you will have to work hard if you want to do well in class and on boards, so don't think if you go to X school you will automatically do better on boards. You can go wherever do great in school, crush boards, and match just about whatever you want, but that's up to you, not your school.

The COMLEX I pass rate for this past year was lower than expected, even for being the first class through the new curriculum. Of course there will be a drop right after a significant change. Those in charge are actively making adjustments to move in the right direction. They've already eliminated a course for the M2 second semester and put a semester-long board prep class in its place, as well as making the semester end earlier so we have more dedicated study time. The M2 spring semester is not finalized yet for this year.

Many (most?) schools have a policy in place that you can't take step 1 until you make some minimum score on the COMSAE (COMLEX version of NBME). Last year, OSU did not have this policy (this is important to realize) and several students went ahead and took the real thing without doing well on the COMSAE. Not sure what they thought would happen, but the results weren't good. Although that can't be blamed on the school, OSU has now placed a minimum COMSAE score of 451 before you can take step 1. Along those lines, every class has its own personality makeup and, for whatever reason, apparently some in the 2017 class did not realize the gravity of the COMLEX and did not study for it like they should have.

When you get to med school, you'll realize very quickly that the thing med students do best is complain. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt. Not a single one of the professors wants to see a student fail. Will you like every professor's lecture style? No. But they give you the info you need to know. No matter what school you go to, there will be things you are expected to know for step 1 that you will not have gotten in class. It's still your responsibility to know it. That's what UFAP and Googlepedia are for. Don't complain about it, just do it.

I don't know how a new curriculum could have people 'left behind' vs the old curriculum, I really don't know what to say to that. If anything, they are annoyingly adamant about students not being left behind. I'd be wary of listening to the current MS1 class--first thing they hear when the get to campus at the beginning of med school is how bad the COMLEX pass rate was so everything they do here must be wrong. Not exactly starting off on the right foot. They actually booed a professor last week when he explained how they were slightly rearranging their schedule that actually makes things much better for them. That's not acceptable behavior towards our professors.

The curriculum committee is extremely open to listening to students' concerns and actually making changes to address them. They've made many already and will continue to. There's a risk of being the first class through a new curriculum, the members of the class of 2017 took that risk and, believe it or not, most are doing just fine.
/shots fired

Current MS1 here. I completely agree with everything DoctorKrieger said. I was in Dunlap for the meeting where the professor was booed, but I did leave just before it happened and heard about it later. It was embarrassing for our class and I know it doesn't represent the feelings of the class as a whole. It's medical school, it's difficult, but certainly not impossible and the faculty here are very concerned with our success. I haven't had anything but good experiences since classes started. It's a small number of people that complain loudly who are getting this unfortunate attention. Bottom line, it's a great school with great faculty!
The COMLEX I pass rate for this past year was lower than expected, even for being the first class through the new curriculum. Of course there will be a drop right after a significant change. Those in charge are actively making adjustments to move in the right direction. They've already eliminated a course for the M2 second semester and put a semester-long board prep class in its place, as well as making the semester end earlier so we have more dedicated study time. The M2 spring semester is not finalized yet for this year.

Many (most?) schools have a policy in place that you can't take step 1 until you make some minimum score on the COMSAE (COMLEX version of NBME). Last year, OSU did not have this policy (this is important to realize) and several students went ahead and took the real thing without doing well on the COMSAE. Not sure what they thought would happen, but the results weren't good. Although that can't be blamed on the school, OSU has now placed a minimum COMSAE score of 451 before you can take step 1. Along those lines, every class has its own personality makeup and, for whatever reason, apparently some in the 2017 class did not realize the gravity of the COMLEX and did not study for it like they should have.

When you get to med school, you'll realize very quickly that the thing med students do best is complain. Take everything you hear with a grain of salt. Not a single one of the professors wants to see a student fail. Will you like every professor's lecture style? No. But they give you the info you need to know. No matter what school you go to, there will be things you are expected to know for step 1 that you will not have gotten in class. It's still your responsibility to know it. That's what UFAP and Googlepedia are for. Don't complain about it, just do it.

I don't know how a new curriculum could have people 'left behind' vs the old curriculum, I really don't know what to say to that. If anything, they are annoyingly adamant about students not being left behind. I'd be wary of listening to the current MS1 class--first thing they hear when the get to campus at the beginning of med school is how bad the COMLEX pass rate was so everything they do here must be wrong. Not exactly starting off on the right foot. They actually booed a professor last week when he explained how they were slightly rearranging their schedule that actually makes things much better for them. That's not acceptable behavior towards our professors.

The curriculum committee is extremely open to listening to students' concerns and actually making changes to address them. They've made many already and will continue to. There's a risk of being the first class through a new curriculum, the members of the class of 2017 took that risk and, believe it or not, most are doing just fine.
/shots fired

i appreciate the responses. Often times you hear people rant and rave about how great a certain school is, and these threads are clearly geared towards conversation about the process of getting in, etc. I think it is just as important to hear what students don't like about their school, or what they wish they knew about the program before hand. I am a re-applicant (3rd time) and I feel blessed that I am in a situation now with multiple acceptances already, and this time I get to be the one to tell some schools, "no, thank-you." That being said, I feel like the criticism, whether warranted or not, still plays into the decision. OSU is still a top choice of mine (fingers crossed for an interview there) since I am a resident of OK, instate tuition, the teaching hospital, all my family is there, etc. Thank you guys for your input. It is helpful!

Wow acceptances already! Congrats.

I'm kinda starting to get frustrated with no interview invite from either school yet. 4.00 science gpa*. 29 MCAT

*okat technically 3.76 due to 1 friggin F in astronomy from 20 years ago but all A 4.00 since then

Wow acceptances already! Congrats.

I'm kinda starting to get frustrated with no interview invite from either school yet. 4.00 science gpa*. 29 MCAT

*okat technically 3.76 due to 1 friggin F in astronomy from 20 years ago but all A 4.00 since then

Don't stress. If it's meant to be, it'll happen.

It was great.
For you all who interviewed on the 30th how did it go?
I am OOS and everyone was super welcoming. Some students stood and talked to us for like 2 hours just because they were really nice (and procrastinating studying). The admissions staff was really nice, the interviews were low stress. I really loved it there.

For you all who interviewed on the 30th how did it go?

It was really good. The students really make you feel at home and help you dissolve some stress you may have. The interview is really relaxed, they are just wanting to get to know you. Best of luck.

Thats very good to hear. I have been studying healthcare reform and 100 medical interview questions and it has been stressing me out more than it should.

Thats very good to hear. I have been studying healthcare reform and 100 medical interview questions and it has been stressing me out more than it should.
You definitely don't need to do those things to prepare for the OSU interview.

Don't trouble yourself with that stuff. Interviewers want to know who YOU are and not how much you know about healthcare or whatever it may be. If interviewers ask a question there is usually no right or wrong answer, they are trying to see HOW you answer. If you don't know an answer then just be honest.

Have they sent out any rejections yet? I know most people don't say they got a rejection, but I'm curious
A friend of mine said he interviewed in January and didn't hear a single word back until March. He was accepted, but I suppose this may be a regular thing they do.

Have they sent out any rejections yet? I know most people don't say they got a rejection, but I'm curious
Since they just had the first interviews last week, no there have not been any rejections.

Does anyone know much about deferring for a year after being accepted? Hedging my bets since last committee letter Took so long to get and application. Officially complete so late and no interview invite yet. Just finishing up application for 1 yr MPH and 1 yr MS micro degree. So if accepted to med school late how likely they would let defer another year to start if I accept one of these and start in spring?