Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stats don't matter once you get into medical school. Now you just have to pass your boards and love up to the oath.

They sure do matter depending on your goals/aspirations. I have too much respect for my future patients and the 200k I am going to spend on my medical education at OSU to just simply have the goal to "just pass". Could be just me tho.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I am going to do firecracker to stay on top of things (unfortunately if I don't re-review information I lose a lot of it), I also am going to use first aide to study with class material. I have talked to a lot of people and they say if you wanna do really well on boards this helps (n=10ish). I really wanna do exceptional on boards because I tend to like a different area of medicine every week so I just wanna make sure I am not limited when I finally decide lol. I think if we all did this and worked together we would do really well! (Plus we all need to stay at nickel creek so we can have pool parties after we bust some test curves).

I have been trying to decide if I wanted to do first aide from the beginning as well. I figured it couldn't hurt if I'm just studying the same lecture subjects and not getting into full "study mode" for boards.

Reactions: 1 user
They sure do matter depending on your goals/aspirations. I have too much respect for my future patients and the 200k I am going to spend on my medical education at OSU to just simply have the goal to "just pass". Could be just me tho.

You are reading too deep into what I am saying..I wasn't saying to "just pass" your boards with any score, I was implying that is the next obstacle as far as scores are concerned in medical school. Are you an out of state student attending OSU? Just curious, because my total loan expense if I am accepted will be less than $100k. OSU has so much to offer, as do other schools, but this school has a special place in my heart =)

Members don't see this ad :)
You are reading too deep into what I am saying..I wasn't saying to "just pass" your boards with any score, I was implying that is the next obstacle as far as scores are concerned in medical school. Are you an out of state student attending OSU? Just curious, because my total loan expense if I am accepted will be less than $100k. OSU has so much to offer, as do other schools, but this school has a special place in my heart =)

Ya I am OOS! I am jelly of all the in staters getting that cheap school. My SO got accepted to OSU's undergrad and she will pay almost the same price as you guys per year for her undergrad lol...

The tuition for residents is great but the biggest advantage to OSU is the large teaching hospital, more residencies available than students, (if you go family/PCp) and the alumni network/support. In my eyes, this justifies the cost whether your instate or OOS. As long as you make it through, you'll have the means to take care of any accrued debt in med school. From my perspective, they don't just hand you a degree and start acting like bill collectors. They want you to succeed, they want to guide you to utilize your full potential, and they give you the tools and resources to do this for the people in your community.

-this isn't meant to undermine your statement, but add to the list that sets OSU apart from other med schools

Last edited:
The tuition for residents is great but the biggest advantage to OSU is the large teaching hospital, more residencies available than students, (if you go family/PCp) and the alumni network/support. In my eyes, this justifies the cost whether your instate or OOS. As long as you make it through, you'll have the means to take care of any accrued debt in med school. From my perspective, they don't just hand you a degree and start acting like bill collectors. They want you to succeed, they want to guide you to utilize your full potential, and they give you the tools and resources to do this for the people in your community.

-this isn't meant to undermine your statement, but add to the list that sets OSU apart from other med schools

I completely agree. I have grown up in the Tulsa area my entire life and I have had the opportunity to be a part of the OSU hospital itself, also, nearly every single mentor of mine has graduated from OSU-CHS which makes me even more excited and proud to be given an opportunity to interview here. OSU has the LARGEST osteopathic training hospital in the nation. The residency options available to OSU students is vast and plentiful if you are willing to travel a little distance and/or do well on your exams. I know they have partnerships with Hilcrest hospital and some Tulsa Regional hospitals as well as facilities in OKC and Muskogee that I am aware of. There are surely a whole lot more, but this is just what I know off the top of my head. Anyone who graduates from OSU can be sure they are getting some of the best education a school can offer.

@OrdinaryDO @IntheClouds4ever I agree! Thats why OSU was my #1 from the start because I knew it provided an A+ clinical education, as well as almost 100% chance of getting a residency in OK. I am so excited to start.

If there is one thing this thread has taught me, its that the upperclassmen and my soon-to-be classmates don't put up with BS hahaha. We're gana have some fun.

Speaking of fun, are the lakes around Tulsa good quality? Meaning you can camp/fish/ect ? My parents gave me a smoker for easter that can be plugged into a car cigarette lighter so we can smoke some BBQ out of the back of a truck and I really would dig a lake day BBQ this summer before classes start.

If there is one thing this thread has taught me, its that the upperclassmen and my soon-to-be classmates don't put up with BS hahaha. We're gana have some fun.

Speaking of fun, are the lakes around Tulsa good quality? Meaning you can camp/fish/ect ? My parents gave me a smoker for easter that can be plugged into a car cigarette lighter so we can smoke some BBQ out of the back of a truck and I really would dig a lake day BBQ this summer before classes start.
Yeah. Grand is pretty nice.

If there is one thing this thread has taught me, its that the upperclassmen and my soon-to-be classmates don't put up with BS hahaha.

Oh don't worry. I'm sure most of us with be stopping by the interview room on April 15th to judge silently. :eyebrow:

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh don't worry. I'm sure most of us with be stopping by the interview room on April 15th to judge silently. :eyebrow:
You'll know him because he'll be decked out in OSU gear

Oh hot dang haha. Thats a way to make somebody sweat bricks hahahah savage lol. :corny:

Looking at @LMR88 Post above I realized, he may be Donald effing Trump. Look at the facts

1. He spews bull**** at every opportunity
2. He talks out of both sides of his mouth
3. He has a bad temper

Thoughts @DNC127 ?

Too feminine for Donald Trump.

Oh I thought you were calling @LMR88 the Donald lol. I was thinking "IDK I kind of like LMR88.." Took me a second to realize thats is what you were calling ordinaryDO haha (must me the low stats that caused me to be slow on that joke). He could be The Donald, however I feel a more likely hypothesis is that he could be The Hillary. The Donald to me seems to always stay pretty level (eccentric, but level), the Hillary fluctuates a lot more as we have seen with the I h8 OSU posts to the I <3 OSU posts. I am still willing to accept the fact that ordDO could be a cool person and could contribute well to our class and lake BBQ's, and the reason he said what he said was just cause he just got a little salty for a second and said some stuff he didn't mean to try and talk himself out of his love affair with his local dream school. This remains to be seen and hopefully @LMR88 has more to report after silently judging on Friday lol.

Honestly the best resource they provide to us is DTP (developing the physician) easily my favorite course at the school. Take advantage of it! *laughs maniacally*

Oh hell naw I'm way too chill. I'm saying that OrdinaryDO is female. I can smell a disgruntled female from a mile away.

This remains to be seen and hopefully @LMR88 has more to report after silently judging on Friday lol.

Don't worry. I'll come thru.

Oh hell naw I'm way too chill. I'm saying that OrdinaryDO is female. I can smell a disgruntled female from a mile away.

Thanks you are the real MVP. If you are right about the female thing I will be so impressed.

Ask all the applicants what their favorite color is. If any of them violently flip flop their answer, we'll have the culprit.

Keystone is less than 20 min. from the school. Grand lake is about an hour or so east.

Can't beat Dripping Springs cove at grand lake though if you are looking to hang out and have a good time with a lot of people

Ask all the applicants what their favorite color is. If any of them violently flip flop their answer, we'll have the culprit.

What's your favorite color?

"Red used to be my favorite because it was such a pretty color. However it's girly and pisses me off. I'm like a bull, I love to hate red"

Hello SDN! I want to thank you in advance for any help you lend to such a guy like me. I am very appreciative to what everyone has to offer. I would like nothing but honest opinions as to whether I should apply or not and if so, what schools should I add or remove?

E.C.s

80+ hours of shadowing all D.O. Physicians. (Anesthesiology, plastic surgery, family medicine, general surgery, ortho surgery.

200+ hours of volunteer within the community and within the student body at my state university. I will also add my study abroad community development here in Belize.

3000+ hours of compensated clinical experience in the E.R., physical rehab, med. Surge., geriatrics, telemetry, radiology, assisted living.

I have a C.N.A. And have been a full time employee for the vast majority of the 6 years of schooling.

I took a gap year while switching from a community college to a state university; my GPA has increased tremendously since my community college days. My CC GPA was ~3.3 and my University GPA is around 3.7 with an average of the two meeting around 3.47 cGPA and 3.27 sGPA.

I'm moving to Tulsa in May and would love to get to know you all as you move into town! I'd love to find a group willing to study and work together!

I'm moving to Tulsa in May and would love to get to know you all as you move into town! I'd love to find a group willing to study and work together!
Might want to post your intentions on the Facebook page because I don't really see many of us revealing our identities on here lol

I grew up on Keystone and it's not bad, but Skiatook Lake is better in my opinion and not much further away.

Oh I thought you were calling @LMR88 the Donald lol. I was thinking "IDK I kind of like LMR88.." Took me a second to realize thats is what you were calling ordinaryDO haha (must me the low stats that caused me to be slow on that joke). He could be The Donald, however I feel a more likely hypothesis is that he could be The Hillary. The Donald to me seems to always stay pretty level (eccentric, but level), the Hillary fluctuates a lot more as we have seen with the I h8 OSU posts to the I <3 OSU posts. I am still willing to accept the fact that ordDO could be a cool person and could contribute well to our class and lake BBQ's, and the reason he said what he said was just cause he just got a little salty for a second and said some stuff he didn't mean to try and talk himself out of his love affair with his local dream school. This remains to be seen and hopefully @LMR88 has more to report after silently judging on Friday lol.

You hit the nail right on the head. I kind of just want to apologize for all of the dumb stuff I posted about OSU. I guess you could say cognitive dissonance really took over when I came to the realization that my home school may not consider me. In all honesty, I was wrongly defending myself because my argument was more egocentric than intelligent. My bad on that and hopefully i haven't been too salty. Cheers!

Has anyone else on here been admitted to the bridge program?

Has anyone else on here been admitted to the bridge program?

Do you mean one of the masters/DO programs? I was under the impression that we didn't have a bridge program anymore.

Do you mean one of the masters/DO programs? I was under the impression that we didn't have a bridge program anymore.
The bridge program was brought back this year. I was told that it was temporarily eliminated because of the curriculum change.

What are you saying? I don't get it

Anyone else know of any movement? Two of my classmates were rejected yesterday and I've yet to hear anything.
It's getting late, and I'm getting pretty anxious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using SDN mobile

Hey guys, debating applying here in the next application cycle.

Does anyone know % of OOS for last entering class?

Thanks a lot,

Hey guys, debating applying here in the next application cycle.

Does anyone know % of OOS for last entering class?

Thanks a lot,

not a lot ... the secondary I got this year said 14% of the class is OOS. However, I am OOS state and got accepted so it can happen. I think they wanna see that you are interested/tied to Oklahoma (and not just applying "just cause").

Did anybody from the waitlist get in yet? Also, anybody knows when they are meeting next?

Did anybody from the waitlist get in yet? Also, anybody knows when they are meeting next?

I was just accepted yesterday off the waitlist!! I really enjoyed the interview and the school. Interviewed in March.

I was just accepted yesterday off the waitlist!! I really enjoyed the interview and the school. Interviewed in March.

Congratulations! Welcome to the family

I got added to the Waitlist this morning
I was added to the wait list as well, my friend. I just gotta stick to it and hope they see something they like in my application.

Accepted off the waitlist 5/3 as well! So excited to meet everyone :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Accepted off the waitlist yesterday as well! So excited to meet everyone :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Congratulations! The best time you'll have in medschool is the summer before you start, so live it up!

For those of you who got accepted off of the waitlist, did you get a phone call or an email?