Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm an OOS, Colorado resident, but was recommended to apply here by my advisor.
3.3cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 506 MCAT, 2000+ clinical hours (scribe, CNA), decent volunteering (mostly tutoring), shadowed DO/MD, will have a DO letter. Just got their secondary back today. I'd love to go here, any thoughts on my chances?

just shooting strait with ya your GPA is probably low for OOS, but your MCAT is good. You can make up for your low GPA with good writing. Look into OSU's mission. Understand what they are looking for in an applicant and then figure out where you and your experiences tie into what the school wants. Explain why you are a good fit for OSU, and why you would pick OSU if given the opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, so I just noticed that I received my secondary from here about 8 days ago! It was in my Spam folder. I also see that no one else has posted that they have received a secondary, so if you applied here and are reading this make sure to check your Spam folder!!

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary questions are the same as posted earlier by another user.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an OOS student really interested in applying. I'm 2 hours away in Arkansas, so I'm hoping being in the region helps. I actually started out my undergrad at OSU too playing baseball. I have a 3.5 GPA, 504 (67th percentile ~ 28 old score) MCAT, and 1500+ hours working as an ER tech. I also am shadowing a physician that is an OSU alumni, and he is writing one of my letters of recommendation. Competitive for an OOS or save my money?
Hey! I went to school at the U of A for 5 years. I am an Oklahoma resident, though, born and raised all my life up near Tulsa. I wish you the best of luck! I will be graduating with the OSU-COM class of 2021!

502 MCAT (127/125/125/125), not sure what to think about this? I think that is a 26/27 on the old test, roughly. I am waiting on AACOMAS to verify my transcripts but my calculations are a 3.3 GPA. I have incredible experience and a job directly involved in patient care, should I retake MCAT?
I got into their dual degree program with a bit higher gpa and similar composite MCAT score. I also had a lot of ECs and real world experience. So, you should be golden!
Looking at OSU's residency program, I was extremely impressed by all of the opportunities. This is a really unrelated question regarding applications and isn't a deciding factor to me, but are any students on here aware of any combined residency programs that OSU allows? Like an IM/EM residency or something like that. I don't have a certain specialty picked out that I must do, but I found talks of these combined programs really interesting and Tulsa seems like a big enough area where it may be possible. Thanks for any info!
They might also have a Peds/IM residency if I'm not mistaken!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I went to school at the U of A for 5 years. I am an Oklahoma resident, though, born and raised all my life up near Tulsa. I wish you the best of luck! I will be graduating with the OSU-COM class of 2021!

They might also have a Peds/IM residency if I'm not mistaken!
Ah, that's really cool! I'm a little over an hour south of Fayetteville. Thank you for the kind words!

Not too happy with AACOMAS right now. They verified my grades today and told me my cGPA was a 3.32 and sGPA was 3.35. Apparently my retakes the last 3 years after a disastrous freshman year did not count because the course numbers were off by a few numbers (example being CHEM 1314 vs CHEM 1315)... My upward trend is 2.24 (ouch), 3.30 (last season of college sports), 3.72, and 3.84. All of my upper level courses are in my last two years as well, but I'm super bummed about my GPA. With the retakes, I should have been ~3.5. Literally wasted my time and money retaking courses for no reason!
:boom:

There is nothing you can do about that in this moment. Those GPAs are not terrible, so just accept them. The classes were not taken in vain. Just proceed with your application and make sure you shine in other ways.

Can anyone find last year's OSUCOM thread?

For anyone that is at a school that has a committee letter, what are you guys putting for the evaluation information on the secondary? I don't known who will be writing my letter on the committee until the day of the interview and that's in late August or September...

For anyone that is at a school that has a committee letter, what are you guys putting for the evaluation information on the secondary? I don't known who will be writing my letter on the committee until the day of the interview and that's in late August or September...
On my committee letter we had one guy who had all of the pre-med access accounts to all of the school data, letter portals, and all that sort of stuff that pre-med advisors have access to. He was the one we put down as the name for who would be submitting the committee letter. Just contact your committee and ask what information you need to provide on their behalf.

Not too happy with AACOMAS right now. They verified my grades today and told me my cGPA was a 3.32 and sGPA was 3.35. Apparently my retakes the last 3 years after a disastrous freshman year did not count because the course numbers were off by a few numbers (example being CHEM 1314 vs CHEM 1315)... My upward trend is 2.24 (ouch), 3.30 (last season of college sports), 3.72, and 3.84. All of my upper level courses are in my last two years as well, but I'm super bummed about my GPA. With the retakes, I should have been ~3.5. Literally wasted my time and money retaking courses for no reason!
:boom:

I wouldn't worry about it. Your GPA is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Preparing to submit my secondary. On the information, it asks "Legal Residency" and leaves a blank field for the answer... are they asking if I am a legal resident of the state? Country?

And did anyone else check "Interested in Rural Medicine Track?"

Preparing to submit my secondary. On the information, it asks "Legal Residency" and leaves a blank field for the answer... are they asking if I am a legal resident of the state? Country?
They are asking which state do you claim to be a legal resident of. The residential stipulations are listed on the website, but if you have lived outside of Oklahoma for an extended period of time for anything other than school, then you have to have held a job for at least one year in the state of Oklahoma (full time) before you can claim legal residency. If you have never left the state, then just put in Oklahoma.

And did anyone else check "Interested in Rural Medicine Track?"

I didn't. I thought it would take points off for my acceptance chances, but it doesn't. If you're interested or on the fence then go ahead and check the box, but I didn't. You can change your mind either way once you start medical school.

They are asking which state do you claim to be a legal resident of. The residential stipulations are listed on the website, but if you have lived outside of Oklahoma for an extended period of time for anything other than school, then you have to have held a job for at least one year in the state of Oklahoma (full time) before you can claim legal residency. If you have never left the state, then just put in Oklahoma.

I didn't. I thought it would take points off for my acceptance chances, but it doesn't. If you're interested or on the fence then go ahead and check the box, but I didn't. You can change your mind either way once you start medical school.

Did you indicat interest in the Bridge Program?

Did you indicat interest in the Bridge Program?
I am honestly not aware of the bridge program, however I know some people brought it up on the previous thread and I believe they said it was just brought back this year. So, in short, no I did not. I didn't show interest in anything because I was honestly uncertain if it would hinder my chances of getting into medical school. My thought process was, if I express interest in "x" field such as the dual degree program or something of that nature, then if the program fills up or if I don't meet the criteria of that program, they might just pass me over all together rather than just consider me for the D.O. degree by itself. However, that is not how OSU works. If you are interested in something other than just the D.O. degree or if you are interested in a specific track they offer at the school, then just check the box and move along. All that will happen is they will send you extra information to fill out (depending on the selection) and they will consider you for the "x" position if spots are available. If there are no spots available in that special program, then you will still be considered for the D.O. degree alone.

Thanks for the input. I believe I will contact them about the bridge program.

Sent from my LG-D950 using SDN mobile

Anyone want to read secondaries?

DM me your secondaries @YoungDoc25.

Any one else who needs help just DM them as well. I will be honest and upfront. No sugar coating here.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if they ever send out IIs before committee letters are submitted? Mine won't be in until September..

Does anyone know if they ever send out IIs before committee letters are submitted? Mine won't be in until September..
No They don't. It all has to be on file! But they don't even start reviewing until August so I think you'll be good.

I was in the first interview group last year and I didn't interview until October 30th. So you should be fine.

My last question I promise... If I have someone offer to write me a letter after I submit my secondary, will OSU accept it since he/she wasn't on the list I provided on the secondary? I have an alumni that I'm supposed to be meeting with and I'm not sure if he will be writing me a letter or not..

My last question I promise... If I have someone offer to write me a letter after I submit my secondary, will OSU accept it since he/she wasn't on the list I provided on the secondary? I have an alumni that I'm supposed to be meeting with and I'm not sure if he will be writing me a letter or not..
I'm sure that's fine. The admissions people are really nice and accommodating. Just give them a call or email when the time comes and they'll instruct you further.

I'm sure that's fine. The admissions people are really nice and accommodating. Just give them a call or email when the time comes and they'll instruct you further.
Awesome, thank you! I wanted to go ahead and submit the secondary, but I also would love to have him as someone who is writing a LOR for me for this school. I'll go ahead and submit!

Hey guys, so I just noticed that I received my secondary from here about 8 days ago! It was in my Spam folder. I also see that no one else has posted that they have received a secondary, so if you applied here and are reading this make sure to check your Spam folder!!

Ahh!! Was verified on 7/7/2016 and didn't read this until today! Found the secondary in my spam folder

Last edited:
Good thing you found out now at least! I talked to an admissions rep and they're going to start reviewing apps pretty late, so I think you're in good standing still.

Yeah! My spam folder would have permanently deleted it in a few days. Glad for once for a late review date!

8/11: Application complete

!!
Good luck everyone!

My number one school. About to submit my secondary.

Secondary found in my spam folder. Going to start working on it right now.

Secondary complete. Keeping my underdog/OOS hopes up!

Has anyone applied without a DO letter? I don't have a DO letter (I have an MD one), and wondering if it is still okay to apply.

Has anyone applied without a DO letter? I don't have a DO letter (I have an MD one), and wondering if it is still okay to apply.

It is a requirement, but you can still apply and submit it later. I am still waiting on mine, as it was sent through the mail.

It is a requirement, but you can still apply and submit it later. I am still waiting on mine, as it was sent through the mail.
So without a DO letter they won't read your application for II anyway even though your other parts are complete, correct?

So without a DO letter they won't read your application for II anyway even though your other parts are complete, correct?

Correct. At this school, in order for your application to be considered complete and considered for II, you must have a DO letter. You can always contact admissions with any more questions, they are AWESOME.

Complete email today! God bless the admissions staff here...

I am also OOS, AL resident, but love the opportunities this school has for someone like me interested in oncology. 3.9 cGPA, 3.93 sGPA, 4.0 gGPA, but a 499 MCAT. Pretty good extracurricular, research, and shadowing (both DO/MD), decent volunteering (food pantry). Waiting on the secondary. Can anyone comment on my chances as an OOS not from the region?

I am also OOS, AL resident, but love the opportunities this school has for someone like me interested in oncology. 3.9 cGPA, 3.93 sGPA, 4.0 gGPA, but a 499 MCAT. Pretty good extracurricular, research, and shadowing (both DO/MD), decent volunteering (food pantry). Waiting on the secondary. Can anyone comment on my chances as an OOS not from the region?

That MCAT is pretty low. Unofficially many schools screen sub-500 scores. If you're OOS, your stats need to be at least typical if your set of experiences are to be the difference maker.

OSU has a regional bias and is biased for applicants interested Primary Care. Something to seriously consider when applying..

I would say in the next two weeks for sure. Number one choice here. Love this school. Good luck everyone and God bless. Have a safe weekend.

Who else is in state on this thread?

Denied pre-secondary because my MCAT is 2 years old (took the "old" MCAT) :/