Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Truth. I grew up in rural Oklahoma, but haven't been an OK resident in almost 10 years. I lived closest to a town of ~12k people and it was small, but not the way people generally think of rural. It's a great part of the country, highways excepting, and many places are within a less than one hour drive to all sorts of activities and big Midwestern city appeal. I applied here even OOS because OK is still where I consider home!
That's awesome! At least you can say you have "strong ties" possibly. I hope you get in.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I always feel at home when traveling through rural Oklahoma even though I'm from a major city of OK.

Nice..I don't mean for this to come off as rude, but I am just genuinely curious. I haven't met many Biology Majors (especially those with chemistry minors which usually include taking analytical chemistry to obtain) graduate with a straight 4.0, so you must be pretty bright. However, what happened with your MCAT score? I would think you could be capable of doing much better if you did so well in your undergraduate years. Though about retaking it at all?
It's not rude! I don't plan on taking it again, because I'm happy with being in the top quarter since my GPA is strong. I am really hard working, so I think that's why my GPA is so much better than my MCAT!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not rude! I don't plan on taking it again, because I'm happy with being in the top quarter since my GPA is strong. I am really hard working, so I think that's why my GPA is so much better than my MCAT!
Well, not that you had to justify yourself to me I understand where you are coming from and I do thank you for clarifying :) I hope you get into OSU. We could always use more hard working students!

Reactions: 1 user
II! absolutely stoked as this is my 1sr choice, OOS.

Reactions: 1 users
II! absolutely stoked as this is my 1sr choice, OOS.
You have been around the OSU forum for a while now - I am glad to see you are on your way to gaining an acceptance!

That's awesome! At least you can say you have "strong ties" possibly. I hope you get in.

Thank you for the well wishes! I had to give admissions a quick call regarding LORs as a non-trad and the rep I spoke to was super helpful and very friendly. If the majority of staff there are on her level, I can see it being an especially supportive school!

Does anyone know if there is a specific trend on interview invites? I know this might be farfetched but is there a trend such as they make invites every monday, or the beginning of every week, etc. or is it completely random? Any insight is awesome! thanks

Does anyone know if there is a specific trend on interview invites? I know this might be farfetched but is there a trend such as they make invites every monday, or the beginning of every week, etc. or is it completely random? Any insight is awesome! thanks
Not certain about this, I was literally in the very last interview group and my interview date was actually an extended date due to some sick admissions personnel in the early year. I was VERY fortunate...

As far as II, be patient. I know may students who were interviewed in the spring, and some who were accepted the day or two prior to class starting.

Interviews- be personable, passionate, and honest. If you received an interview invite, they already believe you have the intelligence to succeed. Interviews are to see what makes you "tick" and how well you conduct yourself. Be aware, you are under a microscope, everything you say or do on Interview day will be noticed and taken into consideration. Grit, tenacity, and perseverance are far more important qualities in a medical student than a standout MCAT or perfect GPA. (take it with a grain of salt)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got waitlisted. Interviewed on 10/12.

Just found out I was accepted! Interviewed on 10/12

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I was waitlisted as well. The email says they re-evaluate monthly. Is it okay to call and give updates? I already volunteer and work at a hospital. Do they just want you to show interest? Like shadowing more? This school is my top choice, the interview process went great!

I was waitlisted as well. The email says they re-evaluate monthly. Is it okay to call and give updates? I already volunteer and work at a hospital. Do they just want you to show interest? Like shadowing more? This school is my top choice, the interview process went great!
I don't know if calling is the best way to give updates, I'd probably email them unless they said otherwise. If you are on the waitlist they want you to send in updates. That said shadowing isn't worth an update. They are looking for bigger things like if you got a job in the medical field or have another semester of grades to add to your application.

I don't know if calling is the best way to give updates, I'd probably email them unless they said otherwise. If you are on the waitlist they want you to send in updates. That said shadowing isn't worth an update. They are looking for bigger things like if you got a job in the medical field or have another semester of grades to add to your application.
I'm in the same boat as @toniae93. I work as a scribe at a hospital. I've already graduated so I don't have any grades to update them with. I've volunteered and shadowed quite a bit. I want to show interest but I'm not sure what I should be updating them with. I would really appreciate some feedback from anyone on here that was waitlisted last year. Thanks!

I was waitlisted last year, too. I worked at a hospital and was finished with classes so I didn't have anything else to really update about.

My hospital offers classes for arrhythmia training, CPR certification, etc. I had already taken the arrhythmia course but I became CPR certified and updated the school. Any certifications outside of a classroom helps them know that you're still active. Just an idea!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I was waitlisted last year, too. I worked at a hospital and was finished with classes so I didn't have anything else to really update about.

My hospital offers classes for arrhythmia training, CPR certification, etc. I had already taken the arrhythmia course but I became CPR certified and updated the school. Any certifications outside of a classroom helps them know that you're still active. Just an idea!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Thank you!! That's a great idea. I will look into it!

There's really not much you can do. I will say this, if you are interested in the Dual Degree programs then I urge you to express your interest now. Because, that is what gave me my opportunity. I chose to express interest in the dual degree and they had a few spots open while the medical school class of 2020 was full. I will finish my masters next summer and automatically matriculate next fall in the class of 2021.

Longtime lurker here, but I was a little late getting to everything this year which was very disappointing. Excited to see a lot of interviews and decisions made so quickly! I'm an IS applicant with a 507 MCAT 3.62 cGPA and a 3.53 sGPA. I really had not known too much about the program until I went to the open house in Norman last Monday, but I am completely ecstatic to be applying after the visit.

Secondary in earlier this week, so does anyone know how long it takes to review the secondary?

Longtime lurker here, but I was a little late getting to everything this year which was very disappointing. Excited to see a lot of interviews and decisions made so quickly! I'm an IS applicant with a 507 MCAT 3.62 cGPA and a 3.53 sGPA. I really had not known too much about the program until I went to the open house in Norman last Monday, but I am completely ecstatic to be applying after the visit.

Secondary in earlier this week, so does anyone know how long it takes to review the secondary?

just curious, open house in Norman? Are you referring to OU-HSC?

just curious, open house in Norman? Are you referring to OU-HSC?

Nope! Open house for recruitment to OSU. It was held in Norman to inform students coming from the Norman and greater OKC area about the school. Going to OU we hear about OU-HSC all the time from the advisors, but very little about OSU. Very informative!

There were many younger undergrads (Juniors) there as well.

Nope! Open house for recruitment to OSU. It was held in Norman to inform students coming from the Norman and greater OKC area about the school. Going to OU we hear about OU-HSC all the time from the advisors, but very little about OSU. Very informative!

It's sad that OU doesn't want to inform their students about OSU-CHS. I liked OSU more so than OU mainly because of the atmosphere at OSU.

haha, gotcha. The phrase "open house" was throwing me off. :)

Congrats to everyone on acceptances!

Does anyone have an idea of what the interview committee knows about the applicants they are interviewing? I have always read that interview committees do not see your grades or scores until after you have interviewed. Do committee members see your application (personal statement, secondary essays, etc.) before you interview?

Does anyone have an idea of what the interview committee knows about the applicants they are interviewing? I have always read that interview committees do not see your grades or scores until after you have interviewed. Do committee members see your application (personal statement, secondary essays, etc.) before you interview?

Yes, everything aside from grades.

Any OOS getting interviews yet? Or denial letters? I haven't heard anything for months.
OK is my number one choice so its driving me a little extra crazy :)

Any OOS getting interviews yet? Or denial letters? I haven't heard anything for months.
OK is my number one choice so its driving me a little extra crazy :)

They just started interviewing this month. They interview well into the season so don't lose hope, yet.

Congrats! Do you remember when you submitted your secondary exactlt? And do you have any interview tips? Thanks

Secondary was submitted 7/25. Interview was 10/12. Interview tips would be be yourself and be relaxed. They just want to see if you are a good fit or not. The interview is very laid back and the questions are easy to answer. In the interview show them you are excited about OSU.

Also be personable, we ended up having a 10-15 minute conversation about their careers and life as well as mine.

@OrdinaryDO , I know you had to wait a while for an interview and are in IS. I am prepared for the long wait, but would it be a waste of time to send any kind of interest email to admissions? Or probably just a waste of time?

@OrdinaryDO , I know you had to wait a while for an interview and are in IS. I am prepared for the long wait, but would it be a waste of time to send any kind of interest email to admissions? Or probably just a waste of time?
Hey, I can't comment on whether it worked in my favor or not, but I sent in two letters through the update portal saying that it was my top choice and then later on my second letter was just saying how I really wanted to go to OSU, but I had to make a decision due to other acceptances. I'm not sure it mattered too much since they choose the people they think are a good fit, but I wanted it so badly that I did it. So, go for it!!

Also, don't worry if you don't get an II, it will come.

I hope you get in, bud. I know the feeling of sitting and waiting. You seem like a good person based on the limited knowledge I have gained from your posts. We will be in the same matriculating class!

Accepted! Interviewed 10-27!

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what months OSU hosts interviews?

Does that include December?

What do you mean? It includes every month between October and the end of the interviewing season. A lot of schools take a break around mid-December or Christmas time and start up the first or second week of January. Why wouldn't they include December?

What do you mean? It includes every month between October and the end of the interviewing season. A lot of schools take a break around mid-December or Christmas time and start up the first or second week of January. Why wouldn't they include December?

Well I wasn't sure if they limited/didn't hold interviews in December because of Christmas and holiday season. It's not like it's posted on the website. Just wanted to inquire, that's all.