OKState c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not many in the works this year it seems. I am a first year along with HorsesRLife. If anyone has questions, holla. I am a frequent flyer here. I am sad that no one has started this thread yet. Okstate is a great school.

Good luck, applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not many in the works this year it seems. I am a first year along with HorsesForLife. If anyone has questions, holla. I am a frequent flyer here. I am sad that no one has started this thread yet. Okstate is a great school.

Good luck, applicants!

Yay! We are more than happy to help anyone out. Lupin is even a student ambassador! Classes are going a lot better than I thought they would and I don't hate any classes yet (except histology, everyone hates that). Our class seems to get along well, and we have a pretty short and sweet orientation to get to know each other. We do get some hands on stuff first year (I think lupin castrated a goat yesterday) and have quite a few clubs with good wet labs (and food).

Yay! We are more than happy to help anyone out. Lupin is even a student ambassador! Classes are going a lot better than I thought they would and I don't hate any classes yet (except histology, everyone hates that). Our class seems to get along well, and we have a pretty short and sweet orientation to get to know each other. We do get some hands on stuff first year (I think lupin castrated a goat yesterday) and have quite a few clubs with good wet labs (and food).

Doesn't matter who you are. Doesn't matter where you go. Histology sucks noodles.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to apply here, but they did a file review and told me that my organic chemistry classes had to be re-taken, since I took them at a community college. I CANNOT takes these classes again. I got an A and a B, and the costs would be too high! I am so bummed. :(

Okstate is my #1 pick! I would love to have some information and perspective from current students on the DVM program.:)

Yay! Are you instate or out of state? A lot of the previous okstate applicant threads could probably touch base on what you are looking for. I also have a blog covering my first semester so far Reddirtdvm.blogspot.com . Any specific questions we are happy to answer!

I am an OOS applicant, however I am from Arkansas so there is 1 contract seat with OSU:xf::luck:. I am very interested in large animal medicine(especially equine and bovine). How much large animal exposure/emphasis is there in the curriculum & are there many students with large animal interest currently attending?

Cool, one of my anatomy buddies and now good friend has the Arkansas contract seat for '17. Okstate has quite a bit of large animal curriculum. As first years you take a zootech class where you learn to do physical exams on food animals, equine, and dogs as well as touring the school's feedlot and dairy. You'll also travel to nearby Langston university for a goat castration lab where you pair off and do the whole procedure. As far as any more experience as a first year you get as much experience as you pursue. They always welcome all students over at the hospital, especially on the large animal side. The clubs do a great job on wetlabs. Theriogeneology club has a colt castration lab, aaep has a lab where they travel to Texas a&m for the same I believe and has equine rounds Tuesday mornings before class to go over cool cases at the teaching hospital. Aabp also has a lot of fun stuff, and there is a small ruminants club, too. I just started a job as an overnight large animal ICU tech where I work overnight 1 to 2 weekend nights a month where I will get a TON of experience. Beginning second year you can pick electives that follow where you want to emphasize, but you get a very well rounded education and should be able to practice on all major species.

Reactions: 1 user
I am an OOS applicant, however I am from Arkansas so there is 1 contract seat with OSU:xf::luck:. I am very interested in large animal medicine(especially equine and bovine). How much large animal exposure/emphasis is there in the curriculum & are there many students with large animal interest currently attending?

Out of state fourth year here (holy crap time flies!). We have a pretty awesome large animal program. Horses touched on most of the early stuff- second and third year electives include production system courses (including a short summer tour of producers in the panhandle area for cattle and swine), therio courses, food animal techniques (epidurals, feet, limb perfusion, castrations, dehorning type of stuff), food animal surgery (exploratories and c sections! as well as other things that review from the techniques course). there's an equine therio course too. Equine med has two electives as of right now and are pretty hands on for labs- nothing huge like surgery but you get to practice things like nasogastric tubes, veni puncture, catheters, urinary catheters.
Lots of wetlabs offered through the years, chances to work in the hospital (I also did the overnight tech job), foal teams, emergency on call teams, and whatever opportunities you make time for outside of school.

Also found out today that we got funding for an equine neonatal unit and we will be beefing up our sports medicine (with a new building from the sound of the email that went out)
I wish there was more dairy work, but I knew going in that this area was lacking in that. there's a big-ish dairy about three hours away that we've been to a few times for palpations and the occasional backyard producer, but it's definitely beef country, with a pretty good supply of rodeo stock too. Food animal and equine both have awesome clinicians too. I've been quite happy with the large animal program overall.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions as well.

off topic- Horses, did we meet in shelter med the other day? someone mentioned your name after you guys left and I realized who you were!

Yep, I was pretty sure that was you, but I didn't want to be a creeper and say Hey I'm HRL! And it not be you.

Soooo if it wasn't already absolutely necessary that I get into okstate it is now!!!!! A friend and I made a trip to Stillwater last year for the weekend and absolutely loved the town..great small town feel in the middle of cowboy country coupled with a great large animal program yes please!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm waiting on a miracle from OK does anyone know when they usually let you know. I got an email that said you should hear by jan 31 but in parentheses it sail ( most of you know your status by now) I did not get anything so I have a shred of hope.

I'm waiting on a miracle from OK does anyone know when they usually let you know. I got an email that said you should hear by jan 31 but in parentheses it sail ( most of you know your status by now) I did not get anything so I have a shred of hope.

Are you IS or OOS? IS last year we heard about interviews on Jan 29. OOS you won't know (unless there was a decline from pre-req issues) until end of Feb- first of March. Unless they changed it this year. We are on break until the 13th, so I haven't been around the office to ask.

Thank you lupin. I am out of state. I have been denied by all this year, ok is my last shot, but I think it doesn't look good. My stats are kind of crappy, only thing good is my experience and elors, but it feels like no one gives a crap about that stuff. I will keep my fingers crossed. Thank you for your helpful reply

I think I remember last year Anna saying they were going to do everything thru VMCAS this year. Does it have someway of notifying you?

Yea, the whole app process was through vmcas but I think I will be notified by ok state. I wish they would tell me now. I'm not waiting another year, if it's no then I will go to the islands if I have too, but I hope they say yes.

So I dropped by the office today and the girls told me everyone should have gotten an email with details on interview invites (IS) dates and acceptance/rejection dates before Christmas. If you didn't get the email, you should call or email.

So I dropped by the office today and the girls told me everyone should have gotten an email with details on interview invites (IS) dates and acceptance/rejection dates before Christmas. If you didn't get the email, you should call or email.
Thank you lupin your sooo helpful! This is the email I got :
Season’s greetings from the Student Services Office at the Oklahoma State University Center for Veterinary Health Sciences! We want to update you on some important dates to be aware of in the near future:

December 23rd through January 1st – The OSU campus will be closed for the holiday break. Our offices will open back up on Thursday, January 2, 2014.

January 31, 2014 – Ineligible applicants will receive their notification through the mail. (Most ineligible applicants already know their status.) If you are a non-resident applicant and you do not receive a letter by this date, your application is qualified and still being considered for a seat in the Class of 2018. Oklahoma residents who are eligible for interviews will receive an email requesting they set up their preferred interview day. As a side note, we do not interview non-resident applicants.
So I wonder if until jan 31 if I don't hear anything I might have a chance because I'm OOS? I dunno this is soooo depressing I think I will email them. I'm ready to leave miami and move to ok thank you!!

This is pretty much same as last year. As OOS, you hopefully won't receive that Jan 31 email and you will either be accepted or rejected, usually by snail mail, the last week of February. Chin up! I know it's a hard thing to wait, but keep your fingers crossed you don't hear early. :)

Also if any of you know anyone who had stats like mine and got into ok, it would make me feel better. I wish they did interview OOS, I think they would like me then I could explain that I had to work ever since I was 16 and never could focus on school 100% I'm 30 now, been a tech for 8 years worked with camels for 1 year, gpa 2.9 gre 142/146 ( I should have taken it again) but I ran out of time.. My elors are great but I don't know how much of that they care about. Sorry i just needed to vent. I really don't want to go to the islands but I guess I know they take stats like mine

This is pretty much same as last year. As OOS, you hopefully won't receive that Jan 31 email and you will either be accepted or rejected, usually by snail mail, the last week of February. Chin up! I know it's a hard thing to wait, but keep your fingers crossed you don't hear early. :)
Thank .you lupin! I wish you were on the panel lol!!

No one really talks about their stats once they are in vet school so I'm not sure how low they normally get. You can take a look at our classes average on the vet school website and just realize that it is an average, with some higher and some possibly quite a bit lower. Sorry couldn't be more help. Hopefully you were able to explain your situation well in your PS or explanation section, but they don't see your grades going into the interview anyway, just PS and experience. Our class seems to be a hefty percentage of older students though if that makes you feel better.

P.S. I know of at least 2 students transfering in from the islands this semester to take place of some of our classmates that didn’t make it to this semester so the islands aren't a death sentence either if you have to start there.

I'm pretty sure I will be on preceptor during interviews so I won't get to be one of the 4th year interviewers.

P.S. I know of at least 2 students transfering in from the islands this semester to take place of some of our classmates that didn’t make it to this semester so the islands aren't a death sentence either if you have to start there.
Thank you! Other than ok state being a great school I can't believe how many nice and helpful people go there! :) Thank you everyone for being so nice and helpful!

I have a quick question.....could you tell me how many out of state applicants there was this year?

I have a quick question.....could you tell me how many out of state applicants there was this year?
there was over 600 last year and that was the most they'd ever had. Previous year around 500 and that was the most they'd had. #'s have been increasing

In state interview Feb 13 or 14th!!!!!

Last edited:
No one else is on SDN? I'm hoping several come out of the wood work! My interview is set for Thursday and I'll be on the noon tour. Super excited!!!

Anyone know what the interviews are like? Do they ask mostly behavioral style questions?

Anyone know when they send out of state acceptances?

According to the older threads, feb 28 at earliest and march 15 at latest.

No one else is on SDN? I'm hoping several come out of the wood work! My interview is set for Thursday and I'll be on the noon tour. Super excited!!!

Anyone know what the interviews are like? Do they ask mostly behavioral style questions?
I will be assisting in giving tours. Hopefully we will meet. Interview for me was a mixture of "what would you do if...", animal rights stuffs and questions from my PS. You will have a fourth year, a faculty member and a practicing veterinarian if it follows suit from last year. Congratulations and Good Luck!!! :)

Yay! I think you are the only instater that has said anything on here. If you look at the interview feedback tab here on sdn I believe I posted my questions from last year. Off the top of my head I got asked what the difference was between animal welfar and animal rights, about what a zoonotic disease was and an example, somemore details about an experience I had written about in personal statement, what my least and most favorite part about vet med is, what I'm most excited about vet school, and mainly just talked. It was very laid back for me, but some people didn't have that experience. It is a 25 min interview with a faculty member, 4th year, and a vet from a practice in the area. We had at least 10 min left at the end of my interview to just chit chat.

I'll be on preceptor so I won't be there to see anyone :(

Hello all!

I'm going to start off with saying I'm freaking out over these long waits to hear from schools! It's absolutely killing me! OKstate is my #1 but I have no idea where I stand. I haven't heard anything yet which from the previous email I guess that is a good thing but it's a long wait until march to get an acceptance or rejection...does anyone have thoughts on calling the school to find out your status? Or is that a big no no to do? I just don't know haha! Any advice would be appreciated! I'm also an OOS applicant.

Hello all!

I'm going to start off with saying I'm freaking out over these long waits to hear from schools! It's absolutely killing me! OKstate is my #1 but I have no idea where I stand. I haven't heard anything yet which from the previous email I guess that is a good thing but it's a long wait until march to get an acceptance or rejection...does anyone have thoughts on calling the school to find out your status? Or is that a big no no to do? I just don't know haha! Any advice would be appreciated! I'm also an OOS applicant.

Calling won't help you any. Everyone finds out at the same time through the same medium, so they won't tell you over the phone. Even so, they have not made decisions yet - the committee probably meets just after interviews. Your best bet is to be reluctantly patient.

They won't tell you if you call. I got my acceptance letter days later than a girl that lived down the street from me. I called because I was getting ready to leave for Spring Break and was worried that I wouldn't be home to get my letter. They wouldn't tell me and letters were already in the mail.

Thanks so much for all of the help!! You guys are awesome!! I looked over the interview feedback and it says the interviews are in groups. What type of group? I didn't expect group interviews, so I'm glad HorsesRLife pointed me in the right direction!

HorsesRLife, how many equine people are in the class? How is the equine caseload and clinicians? Yay for horse people! I hope I get to meet you!!

Thanks for the replys! I didn't think they would tell you but I thought it was worth a try to ask you guys.

Thanks so much for all of the help!! You guys are awesome!! I looked over the interview feedback and it says the interviews are in groups. What type of group? I didn't expect group interviews, so I'm glad HorsesRLife pointed me in the right direction!

HorsesRLife, how many equine people are in the class? How is the equine caseload and clinicians? Yay for horse people! I hope I get to meet you!!
By group it means you have 3 interviewers, but you will be the only interviewee. Equine caseload is pretty decent. There is an AAEP club that has pretty awesome meetings (sitting in one right now about equine dentistry and tomorrow morning they are doing a wetlab on cadaver heads), last night I went to a surgery and veterinary emergency and critical care meeting over equine snake bites, and I am an overnight large animal ICU tech And I get to work with food animals and equine on a couple weekend nights a month at the teaching hospital. They also have a society for theriogenealogy that has a lot of equjne repro stuff. 82 people in the class but we lost 9 last semester and only gained 4 from the islands so we have 77 right now.

Lost 9?!?! Is that normal? What gets a person booted?

P.s. I wil, be around thursday all day and Friday until 11 or 12 if anyone has any questions and doesn't want to talk to ambassadors like @Lupin21 ;) on interview days.

Failed a class, got a D in a class and had too low of a GPA to take an advancement exam, or failed their advancement exam. We are the smallest class they have had I in a while for spring V1

Shh, you're scaring them off.

I may be around, but probably not - I have clinics that day. Ophtho or something. Look for purple hair and there's a 50/50 it's me.

50/50 chance haha. I think there is a second year that is purple too. Didn't mean to scare anyone. Our people that are gone didn't seem to put in the effort to get help and/or had something major in their life happen.

I love the equine clinicians, and most of the residents (past and present) are pretty awesome too. Caseload is sorta low right now (pretty typical for this time of year), but should hopefully be picking up very soon! Equine surgery has been averaging 4-5 appointments a week this month, which is super slow. Equine medicine has been a little busier than that, and foaling season is getting started so that will keep us busy. We don't have the highest caseload of all the vet schools by any means, we do pretty well for ourselves most of the time. HRL mentioned some of the things we have - in addition there's a volunteer foal team, advanced equine medicine electives, equine radiology elective, equine therio elective, sports medicine elective, and a rotation in performance horse medicine. There are opportunities to help in research studies and to help vets at some of the local shows and events. The equine therio stuff all takes place on a ranch about ten minutes outside of town, so you probably won't get to see any of that while you're here- we've got a herd of mares for breeding (and learning purposes!) , and a couple studs in addition to client mares. A lot of the sports med stuff is also off campus - we've got a separate research park with a force plate and other cool toys.

Happy to answer any questions you have from a fourth years perspective.

(I'll be in equine med when you are here for interviews!)