old and new mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fleur64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I was looking to get some advice on my situation. I took the mcat last year and performed very very poorly. If I take the new mcat and do well, how will admissions view my scores? My gpa is a 3.7 and my science gpa is 3.6. I am just worried since there isn't a set way to interpret the new mcat score.

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently depending on the school, they will either take an average of the two (which I would assume is some sort of arithmetic or weighted average of the percentiles, due to the fact that the new MCAT needs to somehow be read in the same way as the old MCAT) or take the higher of the two. It all depends on the school, and you need to contact each one or read up on each one and figure out how they do things.

Of course, one of the faculty members who actually go through this forum is free to respond and give an actual answer, as opposed to my made-up answer that is based off of their previous responses in this forum (but were based on the old MCAT)

I have looked into the schools I am interested in already. Thankfully most of them take the most recent score or higher of the two. I guess im just worried that I do not know what kind of arithmetic scale they are going to implement and more so how to interpret my new mcat score based off of practice exams.