Old, But Interesting Article on a Child Prodigy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FCBarca1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I came across this article some time ago, and I thought I'd share it. It's about a child prodigy who entered University of Chicago for an MD/PhD at age 13 (crazy, right?). The article was written in 2003, so I'm guessing he's about done now...I wonder what he's up to these days? I know there's some controversy over child prodigies and their development later in life, but from what I've read, this kid seems comfortable and pretty fixated on changing the world.

Anyway, here's the original link:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-08-24-prodigy-school_x.htm

Edit: Oh, and here's a more recent article:

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/genius-siblings-92735089.html

Can anyone dig up anything else about the guy?

Members don't see this ad.

Wikipedia:

Sho was awarded a PhD in molecular genetics and cell biology there in 2009, at the age of 18. He went back for his second year of medical school at the University of Chicago in 2009.
A 20 year old medstudent.. how nice

Wikipedia:

A 20 year old medstudent with a PhD.. how nice

fixed it for ya... to think he'll be graduating at almost the same age I start med school just makes me feel... inadequate.

Members don't see this ad :)
fixed it for ya... to think he'll be graduating at almost the same age I start med school just makes me feel... inadequate.
true, but on the flipside, you got to have an actual childhood :p

:eek: I'm impressed

PhD over childhood? I'd take the PhD any day....then build my very own never never land:cool:

Highly overrated.

I dunno...there is something about eating blue bubble gum flavored ice cream and saving all the bubble gum pieces hidden inside for later that can't be done as a 20-something-year-old in baskins robbins w/o getting strange looks.

Edit: Not to mention that now he has to work that many more years of his life. I take building forts out of blankets for 8 years of my life over working 8 more years.

Not for people with good child hoods lol.

+1

I don't even know what it would be like to be around someone so intimidating...:eek: i wonder what his social life was like, going to college so young.

Not for people with good child hoods lol.

Child 'hoods'?

thumb-gangsters.jpg

white_gangstas-12811.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
What if the parents that raised the prodigy, also raised those kids in the pics above? or the parents that raised those kids above, raised the prodigy?

Wow... that ought to ground a lot of people.

Oh, and on a related note: these kids obviously ARE brilliantly. However, I think people SHOULD/COULD be starting college at 14ish. People "baby" kids far too much, expect far too little of them, and as a result they spend far too much of their life "growing up" much more slowly than is necessary. Taking responsibility away from children is probably one of the worst things western culture has done in recent years.

Last edited:
So he'll be done with med school at age 21 (he's 19 at the end of his second year now), which means he can do a 5 year residency and a 2 year research fellowship/post-doc and only be 28... That's pretty awesome.

Wow... that ought to ground a lot of people.

Oh, and on a related note: these kids obviously ARE brilliantly. However, I think people SHOULD/COULD be starting college at 14ish. People "baby" kids far too much, expect far too little of them, and as a result they spend far too much of their life "growing up" much more slowly than is necessary. Taking responsibility away from children is probably one of the worst things western culture has done in recent years.

2wp1r4j.jpg

Sho and Sayuri are not the only two....

Gregory R. Smith

PO Box 682 Keswick, Virginia 22947
http://www.gregoryrsmith.com/
...Date of Birth: June 9, 1989
...Born in West Reading, Pennsylvania
...Began public school at age 5 in August of 1994
and completed K-12 in five years graduating on June 11, 1999
from Orange Park High School in Orange Park, Florida
with the Class of 1999, two days following his tenth birthday.
...September of 1999, at the age of ten, Greg began his freshman year at
Randolph-Macon College in Ashland, Virginia.
etc.

smith3br.jpg

Gregory R. Smith completed one goal May 31 when he received his bachelor's degree from Randolph-Macon College at the age of 13. Now the child prodigy is aiming at another by jumping into the University's graduate studies program.
Smith started the first of two summer classes Tuesday, the day after his 14th birthday. He is pursuing a Ph.D. in mathematics, the first of several doctoral degrees he plans to obtain.

"The University of Virginia has been my first choice all along," Smith said in announcing his decision last week. "It has been my plan since I graduated from high school to apply to U.Va. for my graduate work. I am so excited to have this wonderful opportunity to study at one of our country's best universities."

U.Va. officials have been equally excited about Smith's selection. Gene Block, vice presi- dent and provost, said, "Greg will be a wonderful addition to our graduate studies program. His record of intellectual achievement, combined with his dedication to international service, fit well into the U.Va. tradition. We realize that it's important not only to challenge Greg academically but also to provide an environment where he feels at home among peers."

Smith has been recognized as a prodigy since early childhood. Born in West Reading, Pa., he was solving math problems at 14 months and reading by age 2. The family moved to Florida, where he completed his K-12 education in five years, then to Virginia, where at age 10 he enrolled at Randolph-Macon College in Ashland. He graduated cum laude with a degree in mathematics and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and five other honor fraternities.

Along the way Smith has used the media attention generated by his blazing academic pace to become a vocal advocate for the pursuit of peace and for children's rights around the world. He founded International Youth Advocates and has served as youth ambassador for the Christian Children's Fund and youth spokesperson for World Centers of Compassion for Children. During the past year, he has traveled throughout the United States and visited six countries on four continents. Humanitarian aid efforts are benefiting orphans in East Timor and youth in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and Smith is helping people in Rwanda build their first public library.

He has met with presidents, including former President Bill Clinton and former Soviet Union President Mikhail Gorbachev, as well as Nobel Peace laureates, such as Ireland's Betty Williams and South Africa's Archbishop Desmond Tutu. His efforts have brought him before the United Nations Security Council and several state legislatures.

One of Smith's goals is to create an international symbol for the child, so that child-occupied buildings in conflict zones can be marked and protected. In addition, he hopes to create recognized safe havens in embattled areas so children will have shelters sanctioned by international law.

"I believe all children are born pure and innocent and only act with violence because we teach them hate and violence," he said. "There must be peaceful parenting to have a peaceful future. It is up to us to create an environment that makes it possible for children to resist the corruptions that take us down violent and immoral paths."

Nominated in 2002 and '03 for the Nobel Peace Prize, Smith has been tapped to co-chair the World of Children Awards with Muhammad Ali. He is among 43 students in the nation to receive scholarships up to $50,000 a year for six years from the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation for his graduate studies.

Smith, who has a Web site at http://www.gregoryrsmith.com/, lives in Albemarle County with his mother, Janet, and father, Robert.

Don Ramirez, a neighbor of the Smiths who also is associate chair and professor of mathematics at U.Va., said Greg will be taking courses in real analysis and abstract algebra this summer.

"We are very happy to have Greg as a graduate student in mathematics," he said.

That's pretty sad that some people would trade their childhood for a degree..

why?

Alia Sabur

14-year-old child prodigy begins studies at Drexel University

By ERIC TUCKER
The Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA - Alia Sabur uses words like "nanoscale" and "protein folding" without so much as a stutter. She can explain complex concepts of science as confidently as other teens converse on MTV and Britney Spears.

Algebra, calculus and ninth-grade physics? Elementary subjects for a girl who graduated from college at the age of 14 and is on pace to receive a Ph.D. around the time her peers receive high school diplomas.

Sabur, a preternaturally gifted teen, a science whiz and a virtuoso clarinetist, graduated summa cum laude in May with a degree in applied math from Stony Brook University, part of the State University of New York.

The Long Island teen recently enrolled in a doctoral program at Drexel University in Philadelphia, continuing an advanced, if unorthodox, pursuit of knowledge that began when she was less than a year old.

Sabur continues to travel back and forth between her home in Northport, N.Y., where she still lives, and Drexel, where she specializes in "nanophotonics" - in her words, the "study and creation of electronic devices using optics, at the nanoscale." She expects to get her Ph.D. in 2007.

Selcuk Guceri, dean of Drexel's College of Engineering, recalled receiving an inquiry last year from Sabur and her parents about enrolling at Drexel. He said he met with her and her family several times to "assess how doable" it was - and came away impressed. "It's kind of unusual to see someone so young and so well-balanced in life," Guceri said.

Sabur said she has no difficulty relating to other teens or her older classmates, citing her age-appropriate interests of chatting online with her friends, shopping, in-line skating and going to the movies.

"It's different, but it's not that big of a deal," she said in a telephone interview. "I'm comfortable socially with all different age groups." And, with a hint of modesty, Sabur empathized with her friends in high school, saying she has "more spare time" than they do.

"They have no time at all," she said. "They're so busy - up till 1 in the morning doing homework, just swamped."

In academic terms, Sabur has always been ahead of the curve. Her Web site boasts of a series of achievements: able to read and talk at 8 months, a black belt in Tae Kwon Do at age 9, a clarinet prodigy at 11. Sabur's parents removed her from public school after fourth grade and searched in vain for educational alternatives. Her mother, Julie Sabur, said some schools felt her daughter was "too advanced" to accommodate. The decision to enroll Alia at Stony Brook, in the fall of 1999 at the age of 10, was not made lightly, she said.

"It wasn't our goal at all," Julie Sabur said. "We thought it was not exactly the most natural thing to do."

In four years of college, Sabur worked on research and maintained what she said were good relationships with her classmates. But Sabur also considers her music as important as academics. In elementary school, she began playing the clarinet, an instrument that she called the "closest thing to a human voice."

She has trained with Ricardo Morales, an acclaimed clarinet virtuoso and now the principal clarinet in the Philadelphia Orchestra, and said she aspires to play "in any of the major orchestras." Edward Simons, conductor-music director of the Rockland Symphony Orchestra in New York, said Sabur played with his orchestra twice as a soloist. "I didn't feel like I had to simplify the words that I was going to use to talk to this youngster because she herself was so mature for a youngster that it was like talking to an adult," Simons said.

Sabur is balancing her studies at Drexel, a school known for its engineering programs, and has continued to study with Morales in Philadelphia, a city she praises for its "vast cultural resources."

But Guceri, the dean, said he remains mindful of his prodigy's tender age. "I will be very watchful, we will be very watchful," he said. "After all, she's a 14-year-old child going through the growth process. We have to ensure that we don't get her burnt out."

Alia Sabur: http://www.aliasabur.com
Drexel: http://www.drexel.edu

I remember seeing this kid on 60 minutes years ago. I was a small kid back then, but one thing I remember is that they tried to measure his IQ before but couldn't do it because it "went off the chart" - as they said it.

Pretty amazing, definitely makes me feel a little bit inferior :D

Nominated in 2002 and ’03 for the Nobel Peace Prize, Smith has been tapped to co-chair the World of Children Awards with Muhammad Ali. He is among 43 students in the nation to receive scholarships up to $50,000 a year for six years from the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation for his graduate studies.

To be fair, so was Bono. :laugh:

Amazing, but goddamn. I wonder what it's like to grow up like that.

Last edited: