Old Edition of DAT Destroyer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ando25x

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it fine to use a 2007 or 2008 edition of DAT Destroyer? or do I need to get the most recent one?

Members don't see this ad.

Friends told me that one of the "secret" reasons why the destroyer is so good is because they got questions from the most recent exams. That's why there is a new book every year.

I bought a used edition from 2007 from a girl on craigslist who had a newer edition as well. I didn't want to spend the money now on a newer one because I heard if you take the actual course they make you buy the current edition. Anyway she said they were both very similar and only a few questions had different wording.

If I purchase the book, does anyone if it is an electronic or is it a hard copy (textbook). I am wondering because the actual DAT is all computer-based and electronic so if it was a hard copy, then wouldn't that be opposite of our testing style?

Members don't see this ad :)
I used a 2012 edition for the 2014 exam and did fine. 2007/2008 might be a bit outdated so I would recommend at least 2012+

If your gonna buy it just buy the most recent. Prob like $30 more or something but you would get the most recent questions. Why nickel and dime. You guys know that dental school is mad expensive anyway. Application fees, traveling for interviews etc. But that's just me. Do whatever you guys think is best and what you guys can afford

2007 edition is almost 7 years behind. It is better than nothing, but I am not sure if it is enough to get you good scores. Also, I have seen some of my classmates being ripped off trying to buy it online. There is no electronic format of Destroyer, as far as I know. If you want to get good scores, it is better to get recent edition of prep books. What else are you using to study?

Newer of course! Besides, if you buy online or even in person, sometimes there are marks,stains on some pages...Some Sellers say "nothing inside my book", but when I got mine, there were coffee spills everywhere. Save your time. Buy newew edition .

do yourself a favor: invest a few extra bucks and buy the newer version. you'll tank me later

If you look at this forum, most people who did well used recent versions of all the prep book. It does seem like a big investment. However, it is more expensive to take the test for the second time. So, it is best to get a good score on your first attempt. Newer materials from Feralis, Destroyer and Kaplan usually have new questions on the topics that were recently added to the DAT.