Old MCAT prep book for new MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cncbmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This guy suggested getting just one MCAT book and marking it up as I take relevant classes so that when I do go to review someday if I do then I will already the MCAT review book fresh in my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s9TNRFswk4

That sounds like a good idea to me but there are some problems I wanted to hear your opinion on.

0. There's alot of recommended books on SDN. What kind of one MCAT book will go over all the topics with minimum space (manly want one just to include study guides and content summary)? I imagine it will have to be pretty fat even if it is streamlined without alot of questions? Want to separate the topics and the questions.

1. Most likely I will take the new 2015 MCAT, which includes biochem psych and sociology so if I get a book now there may be some topics missing or not.

2. Somehow I want to avoid studying things that will be gone. There is a huge guide here absolutely massive https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/

Maybe someone has a more condensed explanation that could help me figure out the review book to get,

Members don't see this ad.

He's an idiot. Don't be one.

Content review books are useless if you've mastered the material in your prereqs.

I expressed the same concern with the advisors at my school. They said the old books ("current through spring") canbe useful, but I wasn't really satisfied with that answer. So this is what I answered back:

As one of the first students taking the new MCAT, I want to have every bases covered and I want to make no mistakes. I also want to abstain from wasting time, money, or missing important information. Therefore, with all due respect, I would like to be certain that the books I own, the ones you refer to as current, have more than just the potential of being useful. I understand I will have to purchase the materials covering the humanities section, but will the 2014 science books (chem, bio, orgo) be commensurate with the 2015 science books? Would you endorse making a 5-month study plan with them? According to the 2009 MR5 report (the report that gave rise to the 2015 MCAT), certain sections such as general chemistry and physics scored below average on an importance rating, thus making me believe that questions on those topics will become less pronounced or perhaps altered in some way. Even more concerning, the AAMC and Exam Krackers have not mentioned anything regarding using old books or buying new ones. This is why I am concerned.

What do you guys think??? Any thoughts? Please share if you learn something new....