Old TBR Still Good Practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FauxBlue

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of now, TBR has released a new updated edition (2016) for the new MCAT. I have looked around the forums and found that the new editions are almost the same as the old ones except for added content in biochemistry and also the new psychology/sociology books.

For those who may have both, what are the differences and similarities between the old TBR and new TBR?

Is it still worth while to use the old TBR for practice passages? Are they the same as the ones in the new TBR?

Members don't see this ad.

Literally just call TBR. They will just tell you they stand by their old material and it is fine to use.

Literally just call TBR. They will just tell you they stand by their old material and it is fine to use.

Thanks for the response! I'd agree they'd stand by their material and suggest I use it, but I am curious from the SDN community if anyone has any experience using the old passages and found them helpful still.

The old passages in TBR aren't really the same style as the new MCAT, but of the content is still good. Some of the physics and organic topics have been removed, so some of the passages are beyond the scope of the new MCAT.

I haven't seen the updated TBR book, but I supplemented EK with practice passages from the old books because I'm cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I used a combination of their new books for orgo and psychology and the old books for biology, physics, and general chemistry. I cross referenced the AAMC guide to make sure I didn't review stuff that wouldn't be tested. I was surprised that there really isn't much that is different on the new exam besides the new section and more biochemistry.

I found their materials to be very helpful and their passages to be a good simulation of what I experienced. Everyone is different and MCATs vary. If the new physics and general chemistry books had been available at the time I was studying I would have used those.

I used a combination of their new books for orgo and psychology and the old books for biology, physics, and general chemistry. I cross referenced the AAMC guide to make sure I didn't review stuff that wouldn't be tested. I was surprised that there really isn't much that is different on the new exam besides the new section and more biochemistry.

I found their materials to be very helpful and their passages to be a good simulation of what I experienced. Everyone is different and MCATs vary. If the new physics and general chemistry books had been available at the time I was studying I would have used those.

Thanks for the response Swagster! Did you find that the passages from the new books and the old books to be very similar in style still?