Older Student thinking about applying need some advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RichieD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I graduated college a few years back in 2010 and I been mostly working full-time and part time jobs since then to support my family.

I recently have taken the MCAT (2013-2014) and am thinking of applying to January 2015 sgu class but I am having a real hard problem getting LORs due to professor either retiring / or inability to remember me.

I have emailed several professors but they reply that they are unable to give me LOR because it has been too long. What are my options?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I graduated college a few years back in 2010 and I been mostly working full-time and part time jobs since then to support my family.

I recently have taken the MCAT (2013-2014) and am thinking of applying to January 2015 sgu class but I am having a real hard problem getting LORs due to professor either retiring / or inability to remember me.

I have emailed several professors but they reply that they are unable to give me LOR because it has been too long. What are my options?

Be courteous. Offer to send them your personal statement, a copy of your official grades from their class, and to meet with them briefly to discuss it. Tell them you're applying to medical school programs. If they're science-oriented they should be very used to these requests. Also, if you're getting actual physical letters, make it as easy as possible for them. Drop off any paperwork to their office, and include a self-addressed stamped envelope, etc. I think most schools require electronic letters now though, so that might be moot. You might have to get creative with your requests. In general, if somebody refuses a request, it is better to find someone else. A bad letter is worse than no letter.

Would it be wise to maybe take a few science courses as a non degree student and ask for LOR from professors? Or would schools not accept LOR from classes outside of your bachelor degree time frame.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be wise to maybe take a few science courses as a non degree student and ask for LOR from professors? Or would schools not accept LOR from classes outside of your bachelor degree time frame.

Seems like an expensive and time-consuming way to get letters of recommendation. Perhaps find academic faculty with labs and offer to volunteer for a few weeks in exchange for a LoR? You just need somebody to vouch for you, it doesn't need to be recent or anything. I had LoRs on my 2012 application from professors from 2004. The timeframe doesn't matter in the slightest.

Seems like an expensive and time-consuming way to get letters of recommendation. Perhaps find academic faculty with labs and offer to volunteer for a few weeks in exchange for a LoR? You just need somebody to vouch for you, it doesn't need to be recent or anything. I had LoRs on my 2012 application from professors from 2004. The timeframe doesn't matter in the slightest.

Yea I have talked to several professors from classes I took in 2007-2010 and many of them say any LOR they might be able to write will be non beneficial outside of just writing my final grades and exam grades. Stuck in a little predicament at the moment. I will take your advice and see if I can maybe volunteer for a few months to get then to know me better.