oldest patient you've ever had in the OR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Random question. How old is the oldest patient you've ever had and what were they having done? I don't remember much about any patient, but when you get to the extremes the details are easy to remember. My PR was a sweet 105 year old lady (2 days shy of her 106th birthday) that had fallen in the nursing home and had a femur fracture. She was still coherent and basically healthy on no meds except baby aspirin. She was a retired nurse and was interesting to talk to preoperatively. Stuck a spinal in her and she lived to see 106, though she did die about 2 months later in the nursing home.

Members don't see this ad.

I saw a patient in her 110's in preop clinic. I'm not sure I could give further details without identifying the patient. The patient is old enough for a personal Wikipedia page that mentions the surgery. She survived a couple more years afterward.

Members don't see this ad :)
98 for a TAVR.

Random question. How old is the oldest patient you've ever had and what were they having done? I don't remember much about any patient, but when you get to the extremes the details are easy to remember. My PR was a sweet 105 year old lady (2 days shy of her 106th birthday) that had fallen in the nursing home and had a femur fracture. She was still coherent and basically healthy on no meds except baby aspirin. She was a retired nurse and was interesting to talk to preoperatively. Stuck a spinal in her and she lived to see 106, though she did die about 2 months later in the nursing home.

Same but mine was 104. She did pretty well too. Did GA.

106 for some sort of ortho procedure, maybe a TFN? It was only a few months into my CA-1 year, and the first time working with my staff for that case, who thankfully at that point in my career single-staffed the case. Now I regularly see mid-90s and don't really blink an eye. Once you get to that age all the patients kind of fall into the same category (thin, healthy-ish hearts with diastolic dysfunction and stiff vessels, not a ton of other comorbidities) and all react predictably to a little whiff of volatile anesthesia to complement their 1/2MAC of room air they're already breathing at that age. Explain to family that the pt might not be themselves for a few days after surgery but an unrepaired broken hip is a death sentence for someone their age and proceed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've done a handful of 100+ patients, what everyone else said was right, basically when you first start you kinda worry then you realize they're basically just like every other 80+ year old physiology. Mental status changes may be of a concern, but most of the time its hard for ANYONE (physician or family) to tell if anything has changed. Not being insensitive, but most of the time these patients have difficulty interacting with the world, so observing a mental change is hard to figure out.

Oldest was 103. Hip nail.
Most interesting old person was 93ish. Second month CA-1, first solo week. Traumatic mid humerus amputation from a roll over MVC. Survived to discharge a week later.

96 for me..completely demented. Put a BIS on with an ET Sevo of 0.3, BIS was 30 :heckyeah:

101 for perc pin hip. 90+ is a regular occurrence here, weekly if not daily at times. There's a guy on the schedule today who is 99, been smoking every day since he was 14.

It was early in my career when I gave anesthesia for a lady with a hip fracture. Don't remember her age but she told me she had been a private duty nurse for Thomas Edison.

We had three in their 90's yesterday, and I just dropped off a different Mr. 99 yr old in our PACU. They just keep getting older.

~110.

Not mine personally (obviously), but some colleagues got to take care of this patient after breaking a hip. Went through surgery fine.

They lived another 3 years before dying peacefully (and cognitively intact!) on the Guiness World Records shortlist for 'Oldest Person in America'.

Last edited:
I remember a recent 104 - hip fx - hemiarthroplasty; Can't off the top of my head think of any older.