OMFS Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molarjuncky

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what things can one do during OS externships that will make you stand out and inc your chances of getting into the program?

Members don't see this ad.

molarjuncky said:
what things can one do during OS externships that will make you stand out and inc your chances of getting into the program?

From personal experience as a once extern and with current externs:

Don't dump a load in the clinic bathroom in the middle of clinic if you aren't certain that the bathroom has a "super-fan"

Bring two alarm clocks one which winds and the other that runs on electricity

Don't talk much (save questions for down time) remeber your mouth is your biggest enemy

Walk fast

Carry extra tongue depressers, lights, otoscope, stethescope, etcetera with you at all times

Never turn down an opportunity to insert a foley catheter

Take as much call and see as much as you can physically handle

Don't ask the residents when is it going to be time to eat

Come in with the earliest resident and quit with the latest resident (might be the same resident)

Don't brown nose or schmoooze like you are trying to get into that specific residency

Laugh at yourself if residents tease you or make fun of you (they are probably right :) )

Realize that no externship will make up for low board scores or subpar class rank... it's an externship not "plastic and reconstructive surgery" for your future career

Have fun and enjoy the experience (or fake it-good luck on selling it to the residents though if you aren't enjoying residency life)

Don't contaminate the tables/scrubbed in people in the OR... this brings funny thoughts to mind

Don't talk in slang

Tuck your scrubs in, get a haircut, shave, be clean/neat and tidy.

Bring a shirt and tie/something nice just in case you might need it for some reason (OMFS like people who can clean up well)

Don't freely offer information on life in dental school/as a general dentist :sleep: :sleep:

molarjuncky said:

Go message Flat4. He was externing at my program and did an awesome job.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank u guys. sincerely appreciate it. can u tell which programs u r at?

Doggie said:
Go message Flat4. He was externing at my program and did an awesome job.
:love: :love: :love: Chenkuye Doggie...I hope you're not just saying that to try and get and get me back in the call room. I had a great time and I was very impressed with your program. Y'all are a cool ass bunch of guys and made my stay very pleasant. I actually miss hanging with y'all. Damn, I can't stop saying y'all.

To the OP,
I don't really know what I did right but I think it was more what I didn't do wrong. Just be yourself but keep your mouth shut, don't kill anyone, don't "**** up", keep your mouth shut, and do what you're told. If they tell you to pretend to be gay and harass total strangers, you better freakin do it (okay I was plastered for that one). Did I mention keep your mouth shut? There was another extern there that was doing good until his last day when he had an argument with the senior resident and told him that "sometimes, it's okay to admit that you're wrong" :eek: . I don't think that went by very well. Also, don't forget to work hard. There is no such thing as a lazy OS resident...at least I have yet to run into one.

flat4 said:
...There is no such thing as a lazy OS resident...at least I have yet to run into one...
Then you haven't run into OMFSRES...

flat4 said:
:love: :love: :love: Chenkuye Doggie...I hope you're not just saying that to try and get and get me back in the call room. I had a great time and I was very impressed with your program. Y'all are a cool ass bunch of guys and made my stay very pleasant. I actually miss hanging with y'all. Damn, I can't stop saying y'all.

To the OP,
I don't really know what I did right but I think it was more what I didn't do wrong. Just be yourself but keep your mouth shut, don't kill anyone, don't "**** up", keep your mouth shut, and do what you're told. If they tell you to pretend to be gay and harass total strangers, you better freakin do it (okay I was plastered for that one). Did I mention keep your mouth shut? There was another extern there that was doing good until his last day when he had an argument with the senior resident and told him that "sometimes, it's okay to admit that you're wrong" :eek: . I don't think that went by very well. Also, don't forget to work hard. There is no such thing as a lazy OS resident...at least I have yet to run into one.

In addition to what flatass4 had mentioned......

When you do something wrong or inefficiently, and the residents point it out to you, acknowledge it or make an effort to not let it happen again. Dont say "oh whatever."

Only make small talk with the RESIDENTS..........do not attempt to make small talk with the Attending unless if he/she initiates.

To score big with the residents, do what Flatass4 did. On his last day of externship, we all went out for a couple of drinks, and afterwards went to grab some 24hr taco place that just "happened" to be in the gay part of town. A guy and a girl started talking to one of my friend. I dared flatass4 to do one final task.........lo' and behold........my boy came through!
Flatass4 to the guy: Stop talking to him, he's my boyfriend.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :love:

Doggie said:
...and afterwards went to grab some 24hr taco place that just "happened" to be in the gay part of town...
I was wondering what was up with that place. Nothing like a little rice and beans before...uh never mind.

Doggie said:
In addition to what flatass4 had mentioned......

When you do something wrong or inefficiently, and the residents point it out to you, acknowledge it or make an effort to not let it happen again. Dont say "oh whatever."

Only make small talk with the RESIDENTS..........do not attempt to make small talk with the Attending unless if he/she initiates.

To score big with the residents, do what Flatass4 did. On his last day of externship, we all went out for a couple of drinks, and afterwards went to grab some 24hr taco place that just "happened" to be in the gay part of town. A guy and a girl started talking to one of my friend. I dared flatass4 to do one final task.........lo' and behold........my boy came through!
Flatass4 to the guy: Stop talking to him, he's my boyfriend.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :love:

I am planning sabbatical to Dallas and like tacos, please advise for good restaurant.