OMFS for 2020 grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Franklo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently a D1 slated to graduate in 2020. My hope has been to matriculate into an OMFS residency program upon graduation. As such I've begun to study for the CBSE, however one of my professors has indicated that it is likely that I will need to take the ADAT and not the CBSE in order to apply for an OMFS residency. My question thus is does anyone have any insight or idea as to what will be demanded of us for OMFS residency in the 4 years?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

slow your roll bruh.

i mean this with no judgement, but before you partake in the journey of CBSE studying, perhaps you should allow yourself to have an open mind about the various aspects of dentistry. Its funny every class at the start has 10 people who want to do ortho and 20 who want to do OS. Come 3rd year they all do general.

Just suggesting that starting on CBSE studying now (literally weeks into your first year it looks like) (a) is preemptive as you haven't seen /done any dentistry (b) distracts from what you should be doing now (which may in fact be counter productive to making a competitive OS app if you end up doing not-so-great in your coursework - there's a s*** ton of info that's about to come your way during 1st semester - youre gonna diarrhea yourself when you see how much you need to learn).

the CBSE will never go away. it was the best thing to happen to OMFS admissions as it is (a) objective and has a long track record/vetting by the national board of medical examiners and (b) most importantly is extremely relevant to OMFS.

what will likely happen is OMFS programs will require both. As of now it's program specific (e.g. parkland requires both, MGH only NBME)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
slow your roll bruh.

i mean this with no judgement, but before you partake in the journey of CBSE studying, perhaps you should allow yourself to have an open mind about the various aspects of dentistry. Its funny every class at the start has 10 people who want to do ortho and 20 who want to do OS. Come 3rd year they all do general.

Just suggesting that starting on CBSE studying now (literally weeks into your first year it looks like) (a) is preemptive as you haven't seen /done any dentistry (b) distracts from what you should be doing now (which may in fact be counter productive to making a competitive OS app if you end up doing not-so-great in your coursework - there's a s*** ton of info that's about to come your way during 1st semester - youre gonna diarrhea yourself when you see how much you need to learn).

the CBSE will never go away. it was the best thing to happen to OMFS admissions as it is (a) objective and has a long track record/vetting by the national board of medical examiners and (b) most importantly is extremely relevant to OMFS.

what will likely happen is OMFS programs will require both. As of now it's program specific (e.g. parkland requires both, MGH only NBME)
I thought Parkland only accepted the CBSE, not the ADAT...

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Anhedonia - as a D2 we still haven't gotten into all of our rotations and are just getting into some really interesting stuff that isn't OMFS. I worked for a surgeon for 4 years and loved it but other aspects of dentistry are awesome. I would keep an open mind, plus like Anhedonia said, you need to focus on doing well your first year and study for your classes and do well in dental school before starting to study for any other tests.

Reactions: 1 user
ADAT is still far from being the universal standard. CBSE is still the way to go. But make sure you're certain OS is for you, because you will be dedicating your life to the CBSE. It makes Part 1 and all the other difficult tests look like piece of cake. So think long and hard and focus on D1 classes before you even think about CBSE. Unless you go to a schools like UCLA, Columbia, or any other that stresses medical didactic, it will be hard to find time to study outside.

Just what to point out that UCLAs curriculum 100% does not stress or have any resemblance to what one would even attempt to call a medical didactic.

I'm not of the "slow your roll" perspective. Ive bet 95% of people who end up in OMFS wanted to do it from day 1. Might as well go hard for it day 1 of dental school.

With that said, studying for CBSE this far out probably won't do you much good. You won't remember tons by the time you take the test. Hell by the time I started studying for step 1, I basically remembered zero of what I "learned" by studying/taking CBSE. Heck, I started dabbling in step 1 studying about halfway through my intern year and didn't remember **** of it by the time I really started my dedicated studying a few months later.

Reactions: 2 users
ADAT is still far from being the universal standard. CBSE is still the way to go. But make sure you're certain OS is for you, because you will be dedicating your life to the CBSE. It makes Part 1 and all the other difficult tests look like piece of cake. So think long and hard and focus on D1 classes before you even think about CBSE. Unless you go to a schools like UCLA, Columbia, or any other that stresses medical didactic, it will be hard to find time to study outside.
I thought the cbse was essentially Step 1...