OMFS Internship Opportunities - POST HERE ONLY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who is going to San Antonio for the internship?

Members don't see this ad.

Guys, any idea when OSU is going to e making intern selections? I called today and no one seemed to answer. Will try again tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have all the internship positions been filled?

Trying to get a omfs internship. Anyone know of programs that are still looking for interns?

did anyone know what happen with this position?
i tried to contact them but no body seems to answer.

I think that position is gone. I heard osu is still looking for one.

The VA Greater Los Angeles announces sponsorship of an Office of Academic Affiliations Dental Research Fellowship beginning July 1, 2011.

The applicant must have completed an American Dental Association approved General Practice Residency or Specialty Residency. The area of research emphasis is in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery with concomitant operating room experience. The fellow is expected to attend didactic courses in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Research Methodology offered at both the VA and the UCLA Dental School and Medical Center.

For more information please contact:

Tina I Chang, DMD, MD
Attending Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery VA Los Angeles
Lecturer Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery UCLA Dental School

VA MEDICAL CENTER
Dental Service (W160)
11301 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90073
o. 310.478.3711 x41902
f. 310.268.3941, e. [email protected]

I know its late, but does anyone knows any program which has an opening for an intern?

Woodhull Hosp might still have an open internship spot for OMFS. My friend who's doing a GPR in that program told me that someone dropped out. Good Luck!

I know this is super late, but I'm wondering now that most programs are 2 weeks in if there are any openings? Maybe someone dropped out or didn't show...:xf:

Thanks!

I know this time of year, everyone is trying to figure out exactly how they want to fill out their rank list, but I just want to take the time to post a little about my experiences at my OMFS internship so that those of you not fortunate enough to MATCH will be aware of the opportunities available to you. I encourage others in similar positions at GPR’s and other internships to do the same.

I am currently an intern at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, Texas. Our interns function wholly at JPS hospital, although our program is under the umbrella of the Parkland Residency program with all conference, meeting, and lecture opportunities available to us. We have 3 full time faculty at the moment, each with their own niche. Next year, an additional faculty member will be added.

Our faculty include:
Dr. John Stella: Chairman of the OMFS department at JPS and is an excellent teacher in bread and butter OMFS. Orthognathic treatment planning, organization, and surgical skills along with how to run a private practice are the main things that Dr. Stella will teach you along with overall general patient management.

Dr. Michael Warner works mostly with the residents in the areas of TMJ and facial pain, cosmetics, and salivary gland pathology. Dr. Warner is very knowledgeable in these areas and is a great resource to the interns and residents.

Dr. Herman Kao is a recent graduate of the Parkland residency program Dr. Kao is very much familiar with the challenges of residency and does all he can to show the residents the easy and correct way to approach self-learning and residency as a whole. He also is the main clinic faculty member and covers Facial Lesion clinic and most of our Trauma, cleft, and reconstructive surgery.

Next year JPS will be adding another full time faculty member who will have just completed a 2-year Oncology fellowship. Many of you may know who this person is and know what he brings to the table. Since I have not dealt with this person directly, I will not claim to know what all he has to offer, but I will say that I have heard nothing but good things about this person’s surgical skill and desire to teach.

All of our faculty are excellent resources and are very much involved with and concerned about the interns. Each is very much approachable and I would have no problem walking into any of their offices and starting a conversation about just about anything.

Now about the internship itself. The best way I can describe our responsibilities and educational experiences is to walk you through a typical week at JPS.

Monday: All-day Sedation clinic. 3rd molars, Full mouth extractions, difficult pre-prosthetic surgery, etc. We also see consults, follow-ups, and hospital patient follow-ups as needed. But mostly this day is dedicated to our sedation patients. At lunch, we have Orthognathic conference with Dr. Stella where we each present orthognathic surgical workups that we take from impressions through preliminary model surgery and treatment plans. We present these cases formally and discuss treatment options, benefits, risks, etc. This experience is invaluable as far as learning orthognathic surgery from someone who has done over 1,000 cases and published a book on the subject.

Tuesday: Operating Room. JPS has enough trauma, pathology, elective surgery, etc. to fill a full designated OR day each Tuesday. We also operative on Weekends and other days as needed.

Wednesdays: Usually the 5th and 6th year residents are in an orthognathic case with Dr. Stella and the interns cover general clinic (everything but sedations). Wednesday afternoons are Dr. Warner’s facial Pain/TMJ clinic where we diagnose and treat everything from toothaches to Myofacial pain to true TMJ disorders and neuropathies.

Thursdays: Mornings are Facial Lesion Clinic where we treat everything from moles and lipomas to Squamos cell and basal cell carcinomas. At lunch, Dr. Kao usually has a journal club where we discuss journal articles about various topics.

Fridays are a half-day, usually until about 1pm and is
another full Sedation clinic.

Call: JPS is a level 1 trauma center and you will see the full gamut of craniofacial trauma.

Call is q3 currently for the interns, but next year, JPS will be taking 4 interns so call will probably be q4. Trauma/infections are split every other week with ENT. When on call, but not during a trauma week, your responsibilities are only to manage the OMFS in-house patients and to answer specific referrals to our service. Our operating rooms and Emergency department are all brand new and all imaging is digital. I have been to many programs across the country and can honestly say that I have not seen operating rooms nicer than ours.

Benefits: You receive a $1200 moving stipend, a $300 one time allowance to purchase a PDA or Smartphone (we all bought iphones), $50 a month built into your check for your smartphone/PDA, and $1000 education supply allowance with which I bought books. We have a monthly food allowance of about $200 with which no one this year has ever approached. Our resident room is brand new with computers, a nice couch, and laptop.

Fort Worth has a pretty cheap/reasonable cost of living and traffic is not too bad. Dallas is 35 minutes away and between Dallas and Fort Worth, there is pretty much everything you might want in an area to live.

As a dental student, at least for me, no matter how much shadowing and externship experience you have (I did 6), there is still a tendency to feel like an outsider asking for inclusion when interviewing due to your relative inexperience. I can’t say that this intern year guarantees myself or my co-interns to MATCH, but I can say that I felt much more confident in my interviews mostly because of the scope of practice I have been exposed to.

As thorough as I have tried to be in my description, I know there will be things I left out and things you will have questions about. Feel free to send me a personal message and I will do my best to answer any and all questions. I also know that many others involved in this program are on SDN and may want to chime in with their opinions and information and I encourage them to do so.

In closing, I just want to add that I feel like this internship has been fantastic to this point mostly because of all I get to do and see. When looking for internships and residencies, I feel that broad scope is very beneficial and I don’t think you will find many internships that rival the scope at JPS. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

If interested in this Internship, Contact Dr. Stella's Residency Coordinator, Holly Portwood at 817-920-6936.

For TMJ surgeries...how much are you involved?

Members don't see this ad :)
Internship position available 2012-2013 academic year. Please contact Dr. Dale Baur for more information at :
[email protected]
(216) 368-3102

Any word on U of Chicago, Illinois ? Has the intern been selected ?

any news from U Maryland intern position??

Anyone know any internship positions still available?

Looks like nothing panned out for the post match.

anybody know of any internships still available?

we are still in the process of interviewing for a position at vcu for non-categorical intern.

An intern position beginning June/July 2012 just became available at the University of Iowa OMFS program. I don't know all the details about the position, but I know the internship is paid and offers excellent experience in anesthesia, among other things. The person to contact is Mary Litwiller at 319.356.7339.

Last edited:
There is currently an internship position available at Harlem Hospital OMFS program. If you are interested please email me your CV at [email protected] and also include your cell phone number. Thanks in advance.

This position has been filled now, thanks for your interest

as of yesterday, UIC had an internship spot available... contact ms. maria limon if anyone is interested:

Maria G. Limon
Internship Coordinator
Assistant to the Head
University of Illinois at Chicago
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (MC 835)
College of Dentistry
801 S. Paulina St., Chicago, IL 60612-7211
Tel. (312) 996-1052, Fax (312) 996-5987
Email: [email protected]

A one year Internship position has opened up at Harlem Hospital OMFS. If you are interested please email you c.v. and cell phone number to [email protected].
Thanks in advance

Are any internships available to first-year dental students?

Are any internships available to first-year dental students?

I think you mean externships. Internships are for dentists that have a DDS. Externships are for pre-doctoral students that want to get a taste for what oral surgery is about.

That being said, they are few and far between for first years. Even if you did get one, it would likely be observational only since you may find it difficult to get malpractice insurance (and you wont know anything anyways).

Your best bet is to go observe in your schools OMFS clinic or shadow a local oral surgeon.

Temple University Hospital has an immediate opening for a one year
Internship in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.

Interested applicants would have to be eligible for a Pennsylvania
dental or training license and a NJ training license and must have
graduated from a US or Canadian dental school.

To be considered please forward:

-A current CV
-Two or more letters of recommendations
-A letter of intent
-A 2 x 2 photo
-Undergrad Transcripts
-Dental School Transcripts

Contact Information
This can be mailed to:

Temple University Hospital OMFS
Attn: Carol Martin
100 E Lehigh Ave
PM2
Philadelphia, Pa. 19125

or email to:

[email protected]

John Peter Smith Hospital in Ft. Worth, TX will have openings for four interns during the 2011-2012 academic year. As a current intern this year, I can definitely vouch for the experience i've gotten so far this year.
Flappy did a really good job of summarizing a typical week in the original post, but as for some of the things that have changed since last year:
The program has been fortunate to add Dr. Fayette Williams to the staff. Dr. Williams did his OMFS training at Parkland, and then a Head and Neck Cancer/Recon Fellowship at Michigan. With the addition of Dr. Williams, we have been able to experience an even broader scope of practice in the program (free-flap grafts, neck dissections, etc). He is also the faculty member that we spend the most time with as interns, and is a great instructor.
Also, as previously mentioned, the internship went from 3 to 4 positions in the past year.
The overall weekly schedule is pretty much unchanged:
Mondays - Sedation and general clinic
Tuesdays - OR and general clinic
Wednesday - General clinic AM, Facial Pain PM
Thursday - Sedation AM, Facial Lesion PM (lots of interesting path cases)
Friday - Sedation AM

Personally, I think one of the biggest strengths of the program is the scope. We're really fortunate to get to see a little bit of everything during the course of the year. That familiarity was really helpful throughout the interview process.

Anyways, that's all I can think of now. If you have any questions, feel free to either PM me, or contact the residency coordinator, Holly Portwood, (817-920-6936 or email [email protected]) for more info. Good luck to everyone with Match!

-How much exposure do interns get to everything listed? I see "general clinic" M-W and am just wondering if interns are mainly limited to teeth.
-How often, if at all do interns get to scrub into cases in the OR? Are they limited to "sticks and spit"?
-How many residents/attendings are typically scrubbed into an OR case at a time?
-Do interns get any experience running sedations?
-Does Dr. Williams operate with ENT on neck dissections or strictly OMFS residents? Are only upper level residents scrubbed into these cases or are interns scrubbed in too?
-How successful have past interns been at matching? Where do they typically match, 4/6yr programs?

The Beth Israel Medical Center/Jacobi Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Program annually offers OMFS internship positions. These one year positions are designed for the candidates that are genuinely interested in pursuing an OMFS residency and would like to experience a full scope OMFS residency.

Duties will include: clinic coverage, on call coverage, ER, OR and inpatient management of OMFS patients. Interns will also attend all didactic departmental conferences. Jacobi/BI/AECOM sponsors a 6 year OMFS program with 2 resident positions/year. The North Bronx Healthcare Network (Jacobi and North Central Bronx Hospital) where the intern will spend the majority of his/her time, encompasses a busy Level 1 Trauma Center in the Eastern Bronx. Our residents (GPR, Pediatric Dentistry, and OMFS) manage over 35,000 out patient visits per year. In addition to our 6-year residents, we annually accept 4 OMFS interns. The OMFS interns are an integral part of the patient care team. Many of our past interns were successful in matching with OMFS programs immediately following completion of the internship.

Successful candidates will be bright, self motivated and eager to become part of a dynamic OMFS team. Additionally they will have completed at least a PGY-1 GPR or AEGD before the start of the program. The OMFS internships are fully funded positions. Salaries start at the PGY-2 level. If you have applied to our residency program, we can simply activate your existing application for consideration immediately following the match. If you have not previously applied to our program, please contact us for instructions. Interested parties should contact the NBHN Dental / OMFS Executive Secretary, Miss Janice Bello at [email protected]

As of today Harlem Hospital OMFS is immediately hiring positions for 1 year internships. We are looking for candidates that would be able to start by February 2013. Candidates must have an ADA accredited dental degree and an US citizen. For those who are interested please email me at [email protected]. Please include a cell phone number and your CV. Thanks in advance!

As of today Harlem Hospital OMFS is immediately hiring positions for 1 year internships. We are looking for candidates that would be able to start by February 2013. Candidates must have an ADA accredited dental degree and an US citizen. For those who are interested please email me at [email protected]. Please include a cell phone number and your CV. Thanks in advance!

Is it only for US citizens?

Internship position available 2013-2014 academic year. Please email letter of intent to Dr. Dale Baur for more information at :
[email protected]
(216) 368-3102

You must have ready:
1. Personal statement
2. Unofficial transcripts
3. NBDE Part I/II (if available) scores
4. CV

Applications are on rolling basis, but probably will be reviewed by the first week of February.

Just a quick post:
Im doing a one year anesthesia year here at Indiana University. It's not accredited and obviously not a specialty.

But it is great experience and actually pretty fun. We get treated like medical residents minus the call. I get to run the anesthesia for cases from gen surg to ob/gyn to ophtho. The only areas I don't get exposure is neuro and thoracic cases.

Most of us as dental residents are interested in oral surgery. Is it as good as an OS internship for your application? Probably not, but it's definitely good medicine exposure.

PM me if you have any questions or would like me to get you in touch with the chair.

Hello mr.ganish;
What is the tuision /stipenef for this fellowship???
Thanks

I am interested in the position. how can I get more information about the program?

Thank you.

The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA) offers a one year internship for those looking to gain more experience in OMFS. The program is currently accepting applications to fill between 4 and 5 intern slots for the 2013-14 academic year.

Those interested in applying should forward their PASS style application to [email protected]. Included should be the following:

1) C.V.
2) Personal statement
3) At least 2 Letters of Recommendation
4) Transcripts (Undergrad and dental - can be copies)
5) Copy of NDBE scores and NBME (if available)

Questions regarding the application can be directed towards the above email address.

Should there be any questions regarding the program itself, please feel free to PM me. I am a current intern who matched with Penn and will start as a 1st year in July.

Hello Dr.Alesha:
Can foreign trained dentist with green card ,apply for this position???
Thank you

Due to some un-foreseen situations with out current interns, an immediate availability for a ONE year internship at Harlem OMFS starting March 2013. Only serious candidates reply. you must be an US citizen and have an ADA accredited dental degree. for more information and please email me at [email protected]. please attach your CV along with the email also. Thanks in advance

Due to some un-foreseen situations with out current interns, an immediate availability for a ONE year internship at Harlem OMFS starting March 2013. Only serious candidates reply. you must be an US citizen and have an ADA accredited dental degree. for more information and please email me at [email protected]. please attach your CV along with the email also. Thanks in advance
Is this position still open?

Thanks

Was wondering if these positions typically become available closer to the July start? I had applied for a number of spots well in advance but have had no luck so far. Please do post any info about any available positions.

Cook County Oral Maxillofacial Surgery has just been approved for two internship positions starting this July 1st , 2013.

To apply please visit our website:

http://www.cookcountyomfs.com/p/internship_28.html

Interns will participate in taking call, outpatient clinic (dentoalveolar, sedations, implants, closed reductions, facial lesions, etc.), and potential exists for rotating on other services (anesthesia, medicine, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department at the Georgia Regents University Augusta (formerly the Medical College of Georgia), is looking to fill a one year OMFS Internship position, to start in July 1,2013.
Applicant needs to be a graduate of an accredited US Dental School, previous internship experience is preferred

Those interested in applying should forward their PASS style application to [email protected]
The following should be included:

1) C.V.
2) Personal statement
3) At least 2 Letters of Recommendation
4) Transcripts (Undergrad and dental - can be copies)
5) Copy of NDBE scores and NBME (if available)

Questions regarding the application can be directed towards the above email address

Last edited:
We at the The Beth Israel Medical Center/Jacobi Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Program still have one intern position remaining for the 2013-2014 year. Please contact us if you are interested.

Details:
The Beth Israel Medical Center/Jacobi Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency Program annually offers OMFS internship positions. These one year positions are designed for the candidates that are genuinely interested in pursuing an OMFS residency and would like to experience a full scope OMFS residency.

Duties will include: clinic coverage, on call coverage, ER, OR and inpatient management of OMFS patients. Interns will also attend all didactic departmental conferences. Jacobi/BI/AECOM sponsors a 6 year OMFS program with 2 resident positions/year. The North Bronx Healthcare Network (Jacobi and North Central Bronx Hospital) where the intern will spend the majority of his/her time, encompasses a busy Level 1 Trauma Center in the Eastern Bronx. Our residents (GPR, Pediatric Dentistry, and OMFS) manage over 35,000 out patient visits per year. In addition to our 6-year residents, we annually accept 4 OMFS interns. The OMFS interns are an integral part of the patient care team. Many of our past interns were successful in matching with OMFS programs immediately following completion of the internship.

Successful candidates will be bright, self motivated and eager to become part of a dynamic OMFS team. Additionally they will have completed at least a PGY-1 GPR or AEGD before the start of the program. The OMFS internships are fully funded positions. Salaries start at the PGY-2 level. If you have applied to our residency program, we can simply activate your existing application for consideration immediately following the match. If you have not previously applied to our program, please contact us for instructions. Interested parties should contact the NBHN Dental / OMFS Executive Secretary, Miss Janice Bello at [email protected]