OMFS internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeforstars

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While everyone is waiting and hoping to get matched, it would be great if someone can list the programs offering internship spots for OMFS.
Thanks and best of luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

--Fresno
--VA Long Beach ??? (It seems that a former resident posted his experience at this one)

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor College of Dentistry - we had 2 interns last year so I am assuming they will atleast take one again this year. Call the OMFS secretary. Her name is Ellie and she can give you all the info.

Temple has one...not sure about the website though.

Emory has three spots, although only two were taken last year.

Here's a spreadsheet of internships that one of my classmates put together:

Attachments

• OMFS Internships.xls
    23.5 KB · Views: 764
Which internships are typically known to take their intern from time to time? I have a little family. Moving that little family twice in the next year would obviously not be ideal.

St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital Center In Nyc

212-523-3171 Is The Number, As For Jo Kende.

Cheers.

LSU
BU
Montefiore 3
USC
UCLA
UOP (not sure)
Emory
Tufts
Indiana
Ohio State
Maryland
Loma Linda (research intern ??)
Fresno

Which internships are typically known to take their intern from time to time? I have a little family. Moving that little family twice in the next year would obviously not be ideal.

Basically dont you mean, which program can I back door my way into. The applicants have become so competitive, you are going to see this less. The idea of just "paying your dues" is not a sound strategy. Our program no longer takes interns, because of this. I am told that every year on this day, there were interns disgruntled and miserable b/c they didnt match at our program.

Basically dont you mean, which program can I back door my way into. The applicants have become so competitive, you are going to see this less. The idea of just "paying your dues" is not a sound strategy. Our program no longer takes interns, because of this. I am told that every year on this day, there were interns disgruntled and miserable b/c they didnt match at our program.
Gosh, you've been grouchy the last couple days. Long nights on call?

Members don't see this ad :)
Gosh, you've been grouchy the last couple days. Long nights on call?

The last couple of days...try the last couple of decades. This is why I feel so at home in my profession, most are like me.

Rereading my post I was harsh, but the point I am making, is that this is not a profession you thrive in by simply "paying your dues". It takes more than that, and I believe most programs recognize this. Hence, it is much more difficult for interns slide their way in.

as far as getting in the "back door," I have been doing general for the last 6 months, kind of regretting not going after OMFS. My understanding was that you pretty much have to do an internship or something to get taken seriously by most programs if you are trying to get back into surgery after GP. Am I mistaken??

If one in my shoes wanted to get in next year is it best to just apply and continue working as a GP, or would it be more wise to do an internship?? Any strategy advice. :confused:

BTY-->My stats are decent (Boards: 95/89; Class Rank: top 20%; good research experience, fair extracurriculars)

95 Part I????!!!! are you kidding me? As long as you don't have a crappy personality, some program will take you even if you've been collecting garbage for the last 6months. Don't worry, just apply and forget the internship. Intern year sucks anyways.

95 Part I????!!!! are you kidding me? As long as you don't have a crappy personality, some program will take you even if you've been collecting garbage for the last 6months. Don't worry, just apply and forget the internship. Intern year sucks anyways.

Did Emory's interns match this year?

Both matched.

Hey Shabu how is med school going? I wanted to thank you again for all the help you gave me during december i had loads of fun.

Can you tell "interns" congrats! I know they deserved it!

Does anyone know if TUFTS OMFS program tends to match its interns ?

What is your program? Did the interns earn it and then get the shaft anyway?

Bronx VA has internship available in conjunction with Mount Sinai

Do they take suckers who are trying to get in the back door? Cuz that's obviously what I am.

What is your program? Did the interns earn it and then get the shaft anyway?

What do you mean by earn it? Did the interns think they earned? Yeah, of course they did, they always do. But did the P.D. think they earned it, obviously not. Here is the problem, people who have completed an intern year typically think they are the best applicants b/c they already know how to be an intern again. Well, that may be true, but are these people going to be the best chief, can they run a large surgery service well, do they have the cerebral capacity to teach future residents? These are the questions P.D.'s are asking when making these difficults decisions on who to take.

Dont get me wrong, some interns are absoloutely qualified, possibly the most qualified, but not just because they did an internship.

Good luck getting in.

What do you mean by earn it? Did the interns think they earned? Yeah, of course they did, they always do. But did the P.D. think they earned it, obviously not. Here is the problem, people who have completed an intern year typically think they are the best applicants b/c they already know how to be an intern again. Well, that may be true, but are these people going to be the best chief, can they run a large surgery service well, do they have the cerebral capacity to teach future residents? These are the questions P.D.'s are asking when making these difficults decisions on who to take.

Dont get me wrong, some interns are absoloutely qualified, possibly the most qualified, but not just because they did an internship.

Good luck getting in.

No offense, but if you do a great job as an intern that would imply that you are capable of making correct decisions and managing complex problems. Obviously, it depends on what you consider a "good intern" to be.

can someone explain the details of being an intern? Is it for people who didn't match or for people who just aren't sure they want to do OMFS yet? Is getting accepted into an internship program as difficult as gettting into a residency? do you apply to both internship and residency positions at the same time?

It is both for people who do not match and those who are unsure but think they want to do OMFS. Typically, internships are applied to right after match unless you think you won't match or did not apply in which case you can contact the PD of the program you want in advance. Internships are obviously less competitive than residency and often have more to do with who you know, etc. than numbers, interviews, etc.

There are NO guarantees in this field! I got a 94 on my Part I, applied while in dental school (2005), got 8 interviews out of 20 applications, did not match. And I don't think I really butchered the interviews. Just got unlucky I guess.

And I was the one who posted awhile ago about the Long Beach VA internship spot. I think it is already filled for next year. My attending from that program emailed me a couple of weeks ago saying that she received a record number of applications (maybe because of my post) and that she had at least 10 applicants with board scores in the 90s! Like I said, no guarantees with good numbers.

Sorry if I scare any of you future applicants but don't believe that BS line, "I hear if you get 7 interviews then the likelihood of matching is 95%." Well maybe I just fell into that other 5% but who knows. AND, for future applicants, be ready to post-match/apply for internships BEFORE match day. If you wait until now to get things started then a lot of internships are already filled.