OMFS interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmjfb23

!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, as I'm checking the OMFS interview thread daily or more and starting to see a few schools I've applied to have offered interviews already it brought a question to mind. Do schools offer interviews on a rolling basis as they look through the applicants or do they usually offer all of the interviews on the same day or two after reviewing all applicants? I'm assuming they offer the top people on their list pretty much the same day, wait for people to accept them and then maybe offer a few more if they have people declining interviews due to conflicts. I'm hoping its on a rolling basis though for my own sake and I've noticed a few have offered interviews even before their application deadline.

Members don't see this ad.

The impression I've gotten is that most of a program's interviews are commonly offered around the same time. Perhaps phone calls/emails go out over a day or four, but in general, offers are made when they're made.

I know at my school they have to submit the applicants they like to the medical school to make sure they are acceptable before interview offers are made. I know this was not done in one review, but in chunks, and that the interviews were/are also offered in chunks.

After the fact, If applicants either decline, or accept and later decline their interview position, the program may or may not then offer that interview to "the next applicant on the list" so to speak. Different programs may handle this situation differently.

In general, I think it's very early, and we're all very anxious. A few programs (very well regarded programs in particular) have extended offers. Other programs in past years didn't even offer their interviews until late this month, and into November.

Rolling or not, it's very early (I hope!!)

how many applicants are called for interview per program in average? anyone? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the programs I received an interview at had 20 emails in the "to" part of the email and the program takes 2 residents. I'm not sure if this was the only email they sent, but it seemed like they were offering 20 interviews for the day. As far as the main question in the post (mine, ha), I just received an email for an interview about 2 weeks after it was first posted on here, so I guess some programs offer interviews after the first offering.

Is it usual to get a letter of rejection or just hear nothing from a program. I have a feeling I've been shafted by a good number that I applied to :mad:

Is it usual to get a letter of rejection or just hear nothing from a program. I have a feeling I've been shafted by a good number that I applied to :mad:
I can't believe you are still whining about getting rejection letters. :eek: Stop complaining!!!! :laugh:

I would say that for the most part we will hear nothing from the programs we dont' get interviews to. Of 9 programs that I applied to that have offered interviews already, 1 program sent me a reject email, 1 program sent me an interview offer 2 weeks after the first offer was posted, and 7 programs have said nothing. I'm hoping I'll hear from these last 7 (or at least a few of them), but assuming I won't get an interview.

i applied to a total of 21 programs. i've gotten 9 letters/emails saying yes, 2 phonecall yes invite, 3 no emails, 1 no letter, and nothing from 6 yet.

in order of interview date yes: Gainesville, Indiana, Virginia, Montefiore, Maryland, LSU-Shreveport, Loyola, Univ Miss, USC, Loma Linda, LIJ.

No: UAB, UTSW, Iowa, UCLA

Heard nothing yet: Galveston, UNC, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Knoxville, Vanderbilt.

has anyone heard from those last few programs yet? just wanna know if i'm getting the "silent no" from them.

Last edited: