OMFS Programs Overview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well, if it were to be any med school, Midwestern would make the most sense....but this would lead to DDS/DO's

Wrong. It is MD through U of A. They are affiliated with the dental school at Midwestern and run the OMS clinic, but the MD option is through U of A.

Members don't see this ad.

Wrong. It is MD through U of A. They are affiliated with the dental school at Midwestern and run the OMS clinic, but the MD option is through U of A.

ah that sounds right. thanks for clearing that up.

I'm going to do a massive update on Parkland once a few things settle in here, I just need to get all the details straight.

Any updates on this Armor? I think this could be very useful since so many extern at Parkland. Thanks:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup:UC is quickly becoming a powerhouse program in the midwest region.
4 full time attendings, solid ambulatory anesthesia, dento-alveolar, trauma, orthognathic, TMJ, implant experiences, elective cleft rotation at a Smile Train center in India and optional MD are some highlights of what the program offers.
Cincinnati is an easy city to settle into and easy to get to from wherever.
PM if you need specific details.

Anyone have any info on UMDNJ, NY Medical, or Emory?

What I heard is that the program accept their interns and UMKC dental student each year.
A friend from UMKC dental school told me that they usually offer 4 yr spot to their interns so it is nonsense to go there for interview for 4yr spot since they know who will be matched this year. I got rejection letter by snail mail so I wasn't happy but sounds like I save some money then.
They have 3 interns this year and they are all good what I heard. One guy was offered for 4 yr spot already.... hmmm :(
So if you go there, then you'll compete for just one 6yr spot... kind unfair though.
I'm glad I didn't get invited..... I saved money for other interview,,, yay!!!!

Med School: Right now, residents are paid all 6 years at UMKC but they also do a lot of med school. It seems to be structured in such a way that they go on service for a few months, then some med school, then some service, more med school, etc. They start off w/ 6 months on service however. Now that said, Dr. Ferguson told me that starting THIS year, residents will not be paid all 6 years but will only have to do 2 years of medical school. A second year resident told me that he was told the same thing 2 years ago so who knows.

Training: UMKC OMFS takes all the facial trauma at Truman Med Center which is a busy level 1 trauma center. I got the impression that the vast majority of their OR time is spent doing trauma. That said, they also do approximately 40 orthognathic cases/year as well as a fair amount of TMJ. Dr. Poon is fellowship trained in oncology and is doing cases regularly as well. Dr. Ferguson told us that they do "500 faces/year". There is a parttime attending who is cosmetic trained who said he would like to get the residents more involved in his cases. Dentoalveolar training seemed pretty good here. The residents have their own clinic in the hospital and also go over to the dental school to do implants. The residents at UMKC were all really nice and seemed pretty laid back.

KC has an extremely low cost of living. For $200,000 you can get an unbelieveable house. The city seemed like a fun place to live as well with lots to do.

Weaknesses: Light on orthognathics. Seems like trauma is the main thing going in the OR.

I was very impressed w/ Dr. Ferguson in my interview with him and feel that he will make sure that the program graduates are well prepared.

Last edited:
Anyone have any updated reviews or input about St. Luke's Roosevelt or Brooklyn Hospital Center?

Do you know of any programs that will accept md applicants?

Do you know of any programs that will accept md applicants?

There are many programs who will accept MD applicants. Ones that officially advertise, on top of my head, are Michigan, and Harvard. There are definitely more tho.

:thumbup:

I have am having trouble finding details about Christiana. Anyone have any information on it?

I'm still looking for some updated info about some of the NY programs, specifically St. Luke's-Roosevelt, LIJ, Montefiore, Brookdale, or Brooklyn Hospital. Anyone have input?

Hello all,

I'm a pre-dental student who's doing some preliminary research on residencies and I was curious about something. I currently shadow an oral surgeon who has his DMD but I noticed some others with MD's as well. When I asked him the difference between he and them he said "not much really." My questions is, and pardon me if it sounds dumb, what is(are) the purpose/benefit/advantage (if any) of obtaining the medical degree? Are they allowed to perform procedures that their singular counterparts cannot? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I'm a pre-dental student who's doing some preliminary research on residencies and I was curious about something. I currently shadow an oral surgeon who has his DMD but I noticed some others with MD's as well. When I asked him the difference between he and them he said "not much really." My questions is, and pardon me if it sounds dumb, what is(are) the purpose/benefit/advantage (if any) of obtaining the medical degree? Are they allowed to perform procedures that their singular counterparts cannot? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=480311
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=201825
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=250005
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=600633
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-205670.html
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-205670.html
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=864006
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=502334

Does anyone know what is going on with Banner OMFS? I've called and left multiple voice mails and no one has returned my calls. They used to have a pretty informative website but that seems like it no longer exists. I want to set up an externship over winter break but it has been really hard getting a hold of anyone at the program. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

Does anyone know what is going on with Banner OMFS? I've called and left multiple voice mails and no one has returned my calls. They used to have a pretty informative website but that seems like it no longer exists. I want to set up an externship over winter break but it has been really hard getting a hold of anyone at the program. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

At one of my anesthesia interviews i met a current oms resident from banner who said it was closing. He said all the residents were scrambling.

Crazy...he was 7 months from being done

There is a new program coordinator at Banner, so there is naturally adjustments there.
The program closing has not been made aware to me, and I am a current resident there.
Please try to refrain from talking about something you are not nearly 100% on.
It always helps to minimize gossip when there is plenty of other things to discuss.
If there are questions, however, I will be glad to address them, if appropriate, in a forum format or PM.

There is a new program coordinator at Banner, so there is naturally adjustments there.
The program closing has not been made aware to me, and I am a current resident there.
It always helps to minimize gossip when there is plenty of other things to discuss.
If there are questions, however, I will be glad to address them, if appropriate, in a forum format or PM.

Well then, i guess you would know :D

This guy and i spent literally half an hour talking about it waiting for interviews...very strange

I cant remember his name ( chris or ryan maybe...) but i am 100% sure he went to SIU for d school and he was half asian

What happened with Susan? What else is going on there? Your program is awesome. Share.

At one of my anesthesia interviews i met a current oms resident from banner who said it was closing. He said all the residents were scrambling.

Crazy...he was 7 months from being done

They only have 2 first years and 2 second years. Far from only being 7 months done.

They only have 2 first years and 2 second years. Far from only being 7 months done.

I see I see...so was I off on the program? Or was I on some sort of crazy hallucinogen without even knowing?

Hi CranioFacial,
I saw at the AAOMS home page that there is an open spot for third year resident at Banner. So what is happening with the program? Which R2 is leaving the program?

Hi CranioFacial,
I saw at the AAOMS home page that there is an open spot for third year resident at Banner. So what is happening with the program? Which R2 is leaving the program?
Can't really find that on AAOMS.

Can't really find that on AAOMS.

I got this on Dec 7
It is not at the AAOMS home page anymore.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Featured Jobs .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Location.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Title.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Company .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Phoenix AZ .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Third Year Resident Position (PGY3) .[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center.

-free flaps: around 80
-orthognathic: around 85
-120 implants placed during 4 months at dental school your 3rd or 5th year depending on whether you're in the 4 or 6 year track, no need to "work" to get implants during your dental school rotation
-for implants, work with AEGD (harder cases) and dental students (omfs/perio)
-head and neck cancer through Ord
-craniofacial through Caccamese
-some cosmetics with Wharburton, he's working on doing more
-2 power weekends per month: Q2 for a few weeks and then get 2 weekends off a month
-take facial trauma call every Thurs, every other Fri-Sun
-cover trauma at Maryland and Sinai (level II trauma center so only called in like 2-3 times a month), you won't be on primary call for both, only back up call
-do trachs
-M, T, Th, F are designated OR days but often operate on weekends for trauma
-Wed mornings are didactics
-weak on pediatric trauma experience (most go to Johns Hopkins)
But University of Maryland is also affiliated with Shock Trauma which is Level I trauma and considered a top trauma hospital in Maryland. What's your take on that?

But University of Maryland is also affiliated with Shock Trauma which is Level I trauma and considered a top trauma hospital in Maryland. What's your take on that?
Trauma exp is always a good factor to consider...

for those of you who know about and/or interviewed at UTMB in Galveston, what are your thoughts on that program?

UTMB Galveston
Here are my impressions from the short time I spend there for an interview:

This a very good bread and butter omfs program. It is was the least intense of programs I have externed or interviewed at.

Here are their surgical log numbers they gave us:
OR Cases
Trauma 64
Odontogenic 340
Pathology 82
Orthognathic 5
TMJ 2
Implants 20
Reconstruction 28
Cosmetics 11

Call is every other week during your 2nd and 3rd year. The faculty and residents were all very nice, approachable, and it seems like it would be a fun place to be for four years. They work on a large percent of the Texas inmates from all over the state. It is a never ending supply of facial trauma for them. They do rotate to do Cleft lip and palate training. You are not allowed to moonlight at all.

UTMB Galveston

This a very good bread and butter omfs program. It is was the least intense of programs I have externed or interviewed at.

OR Cases
Trauma 64
Odontogenic 340
Pathology 82
Orthognathic 5
TMJ 2
Implants 20
Reconstruction 28
Cosmetics 11

Call is every other week during your 2nd and 3rd year. The faculty and residents were all very nice, approachable, and it seems like it would be a fun place to be for four years. They work on a large percent of the Texas inmates from all over the state. It is a never ending supply of facial trauma for them. They do rotate to do Cleft lip and palate training. You are not allowed to moonlight at all.

Thanks, that was a good overview. I have heard good things about it....it's obviously not a head and neck type training program, but sounds great for dental/alveolar, benign path, trauma, and some orthognathic. I have also heard good things about the residents and faculty there. Thanks again.

Hey Guys,

Match day is coming up and so applicants have been updated on programs most recent stats. How about we update the forum on each program?

UTMB Galveston

OR Cases
Trauma 64
Odontogenic 340
Pathology 82
Orthognathic 5
TMJ 2
Implants 20
Reconstruction 28
Cosmetics 11

WTF!? So basically you're a glorified GPR resident covering a bunch of odontogenic/facial infections and get to scrub in to an OMFS case once in a blue moon :thumbdown: Case loads are the currency in OMFS, and these are pretty pathetic numbers.

WTF!? So basically you're a glorified GPR resident covering a bunch of odontogenic/facial infections and get to scrub in to an OMFS case once in a blue moon :thumbdown: Case loads are the currency in OMFS, and these are pretty pathetic numbers.

These numbers are more normal than you'd think and hope for in modern OMS training.

The reality is, we have training programs that span the spectrum of case logs.

At my program we get to scrub in once in a blue moon on ORAL SURGERY cases. We got the rest of the scope covered though. To each his own.

Clearly you need to share with UTMB then.

I talked to the program director at UTMB and he said they have a planned 8 week rotation through that particular "conuntry" for all incoming residents

Seriously, those numbers are pretty weak. Don't try to justify them by saying that most programs are similar.

Seriously, those numbers are pretty weak. Don't try to justify them by saying that most programs are similar.

I agree with you.
5 orthognathic cases and 2 tmj surgeries are nothing!!!
Rotation in a private hospital???? So what???? just observing???

Boy the dicks are swinging in here!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Could someone who knows the Michigan OMS program please post an overview of the program?
Thanks

Not a pissing contest, just facts. Those are low numbers compared to the rest of the country.

I interviewed there. Great group of guys, very professional faculty that I respected, and would be a nice living experience. But I'm a believer that the more I do something, the better I will become at it, which made me want a busier program.

Yea, 5 orthognathic cases is not very many but how many private practitioners are even doing them anymore. It is just not that lucrative anymore and with the decrease in compensation there has been a decrease in the number of OMS doing them. I spoke to a very well respected OMS that trained at parkland and he said that Orthognathics became an "expensive hobby" so he stopped doing them. He is now doing almost exclusively dentoalveolar on a daily basis.

Whether you think you are or not, the fact is, the vast majority of all OMS are going to be doing primarily dentoalveolar surgery day in and day out. Each program attracts its own type of residents. If you are intersted in doing orthognathics than you probably don't want to go to that program. Big deal. Looks like they are getting a decent enough exposure to teeth, path and trauma. I don't understand why Oral surgeons who go out and do bread and butter oral surgery in private practice get such a bad rap from the academic types? Just a thought...

I don't understand why Oral surgeons who go out and do bread and butter oral surgery in private practice get such a bad rap from the academic types? Just a thought...

Because we care far too much about what the peripheral circle of people think about us (plastic surgeons, ent, gen surg, anesthesia, med students....you know, those real doctors)

And don't care enough about what our immediate circle thinks about us (general dentists, periodontists, dental students, patients).

Bread and butter will pay my bills, OMSPAC, and AAOMS' bills. That is a fact. And I can't wait.