OMG!!! Should I Say Something????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jbrowndds

SMILE ON!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Soooo.....One of my friends on FB just posted that she FINALLY got into dental school. Im thinking she had been applying and actually got in and I'm all excited. She attached a picture of her acceptance letter and its to a dental ASSISTING school. What is making my stomach turn is that everyone is congratulating her and one guy said "Can't wait till you are running your own dental practice!".....does she really know what she signed up for.....

Edit: She liked what he said by the way....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wowza. Either she has no clue what she's got herself into or maybe she's just trying to fool some people. Private message her for sure!

503367.jpg,q1386334671.pagespeed.ce.NzKfSUQl5w.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
.....This reminds me of how my family confuses dental assisting school with dental school. Annoying

lol okay here is what i said; "Hey I noticed you said that you got into dental assisting school...congratulations!! I just graduated in August and its really fun! I am apply dental school next year to become a dentist. Anyways congrats!!!". I feel so lame but I had to say SOMETHING.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe message her and say congrats on getting accepted into dental assistant school, what made you change your mind to being an assistant? And see if she corrects you

Reactions: 1 user
Soooo.....One of my friends on FB just posted that she FINALLY got into dental school. Im thinking she had been applying and actually got in and I'm all excited. She attached a picture of her acceptance letter and its to a dental ASSISTING school. What is making my stomach turn is that everyone is congratulating her and one guy said "Can't wait till you are running your own dental practice!".....does she really know what she signed up for.....

Just be happy for her and congratulate her, don't say anything to her about it if you want to stay her friend.

That's just sad.

You need some new friends.
demotivation-us_if-youre-the-smartest-person-in-the-room-youre-in-the-wrong-room.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Maybe message her and say congrats on getting accepted into dental assistant school, what made you change your mind to being an assistant? And see if she corrects you
This is what I did....apparently she is going to dental school to start the assisting program to become a hygienist:uhno: I tried.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not that big of a deal...

Not that big of a deal...
Yeah, I wouldn't have posted this on here either. Like who gives a shiet? It's not like many of you guys are in a better position considering how most of yall are still predental....drama queens....

Reactions: 7 users
Just be happy for her and congratulate her, don't say anything to her about it if you want to stay her friend.

Yep, I agree with Toothbrush Buddy. Just be happy for others :) Why count pennies and measure shoe sizes?

Edit: ahah SDN doesn't allow me to like my own post. :(

Yeah, I wouldn't have posted this on here either. Like who gives a shiet? It's not like many of you guys are in a better position considering how most of yall are still predental....drama queens....
Don't be an dingus. I see you've got some huge cyberballs. Big nasty hair droopy ones. LOVELY!!! At least I asked a question that can't be googled compared to the rest of these questions on this board.

If you don't particularly like this FB friend, I see nothing wrong with subtly putting her in her place. However, people inflating their credentials is a pet peeve of mine, so maybe others would prefer the high road.

Or just private message her.....

funny how this sort of put-you-in-your-place hierarchical philosophy doesn't quite fit in the dental sandbox. the med playground, however...seems as their lives depend on it.

funny how this sort of put-you-in-your-place hierarchical philosophy doesn't quite fit in the dental sandbox. the med playground, however...seems as their lives depend on it.

Lol I work at the hospital. Teaching hospital. I was talking to the med students (3rd 4th year). I told them yeah I decided to do dentistry instead of medicine. "Ohh you must have had a lower gpa". One of them actually said this…really awkward thing to say to someone and not the case. I told them "actually i thought long and hard about the decision. Dentistry was a great fit and I can't wait". They really are on a high horse and definitely didn't respect dentistry from my experiences.

Last edited:
Lol I work at the hospital. Teaching hospital. I was talking to the med students (3rd 4th year). I told them yeah I decided to do dentistry instead of medicine. "Ohh you must have had a lower gpa". One of them actually said this…really awkward thing to say to someone. I told them "actually i thought long and hard about the decision. Dentistry was a great fit and I can't wait". They really are on a high horse and definitely didn't respect dentistry from my experiences.

Sorry for ranting lol.

Last edited:
lol okay here is what i said; "Hey I noticed you said that you got into dental assisting school...congratulations!! I just graduated in August and its really fun! I am apply dental school next year to become a dentist. Anyways congrats!!!". I feel so lame but I had to say SOMETHING.

"I am apply dental school" LoL.

You're so pathetic to be posting this. You don't deserve any friends to start with. You're sad because someone else is happy they're going to do what they want... as you wait on your sorry lil desperate butt.

Many people are insecure and need to fish for compliments on FB, and that should be fine. Why did you have to ruin it for her?

Sorry, i was feeling like you.. wanting to put someone down for fun :beat:

So many divas on SDN. :corny:

Reactions: 4 users
"I am apply dental school" LoL.

You're so pathetic to be posting this. You don't deserve any friends to start with. You're sad because someone else is happy they're going to do what they want... as you wait on your sorry lil desperate butt.

Many people are insecure and need to fish for compliments on FB, and that should be fine. Why did you have to ruin it for her?

Sorry, i was feeling like you.. wanting to put someone down for fun :beat:

Woah, what's with all the hate? I thought the OP just wasn't sure if her friend was mistaking dental assisting school with dental school. I don't think she meant to belittle her friend.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like saying anything was "raining on her parade." Calling attention to that trivial detail seems like a lame attempt to redirect and call attention to yourself. Look at me, look at me...I'm going to REAL dental school! I'm guessing your are around 19-20 yrs old so I can't really hold it against you.

I suppose the question is, why would you want to say something? If you're only saying something because you don't want people to think that this person's accomplishment equals your own, then it's probably best to say nothing. If you genuinely care for the person and don't want to see them make a mistake, then it's up to you, but such 'advice' would best be left to a private message away from public view and any humiliation which may ensue.

My guess though is that this person believes dental school to be like a university for all dental disciplines. Hygienists, dentists, and dental assistants all go to dental school. If that's what they think (which is kind of endearing in a non-patronizing way), then what's the harm in letting them be happy with their good fortune? It's not a career ending mistake and who knows, maybe it's the confidence boost they need to delve even deeper into the profession! :)

dentalguy8261 said:
Lol I work at the hospital. Teaching hospital. I was talking to the med students (3rd 4th year). I told them yeah I decided to do dentistry instead of medicine. "Ohh you must have had a lower gpa". One of them actually said this…really awkward thing to say to someone and not the case. I told them "actually i thought long and hard about the decision. Dentistry was a great fit and I can't wait". They really are on a high horse and definitely didn't respect dentistry from my experiences.

It doesn't matter. One day they'll know better, and you'll be happily employed in a highly esteemed profession. I volunteer at a teaching hospital and have had quite the opposite experience. When the staff find out I'm not pre-med or pre-nursing (either of which they assume I am) they lighten up a lot. I assume they realize that I'm not there to critique them or tell them how to do their job better (which apparently some volunteers do because they took an anatomy class or immunology).

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I wouldn't have said anything. I'm from the Bronx and a lot of people here go to dental assisting school and say they are in dental school. People go to medical assistant school and say they are going to med school. It's not like they're trying to get over on someone. But that's just what they call it because they are in the "dental" field. I'm confused. Did she finish her bachelors and then go back for a one year program to become an assistant? Either way just be happy for her and congratulate her. If she really is going to the dental assisting school, I'm pretty much sure it wasn't a mistake and she doesn't believe she will be a dentist. You will just come across as an jerk for raining on her parade.

On the other hand, if she really does want to be a dentist and accidentally signed up for dental assisting school because she doesn't know the correct path you should let her know. As a friend in a PRIVATE message so she doesn't waste a year of her life.

I definitely would have let it be and not have said anything. Oh well. On Facebook, people portray their lives how they want others to view them. Those portrayals are probably far from accurate in many instances.

On a related note, I know how annoying it is when people automatically ASSUME I'm going to hygiene or assisting school just because I'm a female. I'm sure that when people say they are in "dental" school or "med" school when they aren't just makes this problem worse... as that is a gross misrepresentation of what they are actually doing.

When I point-blank say that, "I am going to DENTAL SCHOOL," people sometimes respond with things such as...
"Oh... like... hygiene? That's a great field! My cousin/sister/friend went to community college to get her degree and loves what she does."
"Oh, is that, like, a technical program? Didn't you already go to college?"
"Like... actual dental school?"

Yes. ACTUAL dental school!

Reactions: 6 users
You guys through that waaaay out of proportion. I wasn't making fun, belittling, or downing her. The ONLY reason why I came on to ask this question is because I thought I would get some good advice on what to do. I actually thought she didn't know what she was getting herself into. I couldn't say nothing. It has nothing to do with me being better or me not being happy for her. I actually ended up privately messaging her and she told me what she meant and what she was doing. AGAIN, I AM HAPPY FOR HER. Thanks for the "help".

You guys through that waaaay out of proportion. I wasn't making fun, belittling, or downing her. The ONLY reason why I came on to ask this question is because I thought I would get some good advice on what to do. I actually thought she didn't know what she was getting herself into. I couldn't say nothing. It has nothing to do with me being better or me not being happy for her. I actually ended up privately messaging her and she told me what she meant and what she was doing. AGAIN, I AM HAPPY FOR HER. Thanks for the "help".

No we understand, you're telling us you don't know how to interact with people and need SDN to guide you with simple situations. I'm just like that, I have absolutely no friends.. not sure how I'll get through dental school. I think I have personality disorder too so :shrug:

I'm pretty sure she knew what she was getting into considering she probably had to take some pre reqs, interview and maybe even shadow. She'd have to be borderline functioning to be confused about the situation.

No we understand, you're telling us you don't know how to interact with people and need SDN to guide you with simple situations. I'm just like that, I have absolutely no friends.. not sure how I'll get through dental school. I think I have personality disorder too so :shrug:

I like the uplifting nature of your avatar and posts

smiling-dog-300x199.jpg

Good for you for looking out for her. If your thoughts were genuine who cares what people on this forum says. Ignore them.
I actually read a post on sdn about a student who took a really long time getting into dental school for dmd/dds program because he/she had English as a second language and honestly did not realize that he applied for a dental assistant program till the day he went to school.

^ haha oh man.. I need to read that post. Would you happen to have it bookmarked : p ?

^ haha oh man.. I need to read that post. Would you happen to have it bookmarked : p ?

No :( unfortunately not. I came across it while reading some random post. I should start bookmarking hilarious posts like those.

Good for you for looking out for her. If your thoughts were genuine who cares what people on this forum says. Ignore them.
I actually read a post on sdn about a student who took a really long time getting into dental school for dmd/dds program because he/she had English as a second language and honestly did not realize that he applied for a dental assistant program till the day he went to school.
Oh my goodness, that is so incredibly sad :(.

You need some new friends.
demotivation-us_if-youre-the-smartest-person-in-the-room-youre-in-the-wrong-room.jpg

Most of my best friends that I've had for 16+ years are not doing anything in medicine/dentistry. One of my great friends is at Vet school and another in nursing but the rest are just normal people doing their thing. The point is, any one of my best friends of "lower or equal intelligence" would do anything/have my back in an instance. Those are the types of friends that matter. Not the "friends" that you are in a pissing contest with.

Wow. That isn't funny at all. It's actually a little heartbreaking.

Wow. That isn't funny at all. It's actually a little heartbreaking.

It is heartbreaking but the person ended up getting into dental school so I don't think it's that much of a tragedy. But yeah it is really sad..

It is heartbreaking but the person ended up getting into dental school so I don't think it's that much of a tragedy. But yeah it is really sad..

Alright. The story is slightly funny now. Hahaha