Omm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjs010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know lots of people don't believe in it. I'm skeptical in its uses for some diagnoses, but for rehab it has to be effective. I shadow a DO ortho surgeon and he says while he doesn't use omm professionally, he uses it on his wife. I told him that I used to think about going to Pt school and he said that he used to be an athletic trainer... He said Physical therapy techniques came from OMM. So, for those who say OMm doesn't work at all, are you also saying that physical therapy doesn't work? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it has it's uses. I think it is useful for back, neck, and extremity pain that has a muscleskeletal origin. It also seems to be useful for sinus infections, COPD, and constipation (I'm being serious). That's about it.

I once saw it used to convert someone with a supraventricular tachycardia back to a normal sinus rhythm, but you can rub someone on the side of the neck (cartoid massage) and have the same result.

Learning OMM is probably a good idea if you're a family physician, sports med, or PM&R doctor.

I'll probably only use it in my personal life.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OMM doesn't work.

Is this based on experience? There is a difference between saying it doesn't work at all vs it doesn't work for certain problems. You have to know when to use it and like any treatment, you are going to have people who respond well to it and others who do not. I have shadowed a D.O and based on what I observed, it seems effective judging by the response of the patients if you know what you're doing.

I would like to see a scientific study on the matter. There must have been some.

Again I say, if PT techniques stem from OMM- and there is tons of research on PT modalities- then that must mean that oMM is pretty effective

:confused:

I'm a believer, but I'd like to be able to refer nonbelievers to some studies. I think that makes sense...?

My official take on OMM after having studied one year of it: a lot of OMM does work and has been backed up by evidence, especially on back pain and some neuromusculoskeletal problems.

But once we are talking about cranial and Chapman's points, we are entering kool aid land. A lot of the so called evidence for Chapmans and cranial is based on very dubious research

My official take on OMM after having studied one year of it: a lot of OMM does work and has been backed up by evidence, especially on back pain and some neuromusculoskeletal problems.

But once we are talking about cranial and Chapman's points, we are entering kool aid land. A lot of the so called evidence for Chapmans and cranial is based on very dubious research

I completely agree. Cranial and chapman's are complete bs. Still, many people do believe in it. I'll even add viscerosomatic reflexes and counterstrain to things I don't believe in.

I completely agree. Cranial and chapman's are complete bs. Still, many people do believe in it. I'll even add viscerosomatic reflexes and counterstrain to things I don't believe in.

isn't viscerosomatic reflex the same thing as chapmans points

I'll definitely use cervical, thoracic, and lumbar HVLA in the future along with some muscle energy and counterstrain techniques.

I'll add that I despise cranial osteopathy and my lowest grades in med school so far were due to the written cranial exams.

Hmm, haven't had cranial yet but I'm super skeptical, and I'm skeptical about Chapman's. but what about viscerosomatics do you not support?

omm doesn't work.

troll_detected.png

In terms of studies about OMM, these may be useful:

Study: American Osteopathic Association guidelines for osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) for patients with low back pain. (2010). The Journal Of The American Osteopathic Association, 110(11), 653-666.
Conclusion: Osteopathic manipulative treatment significantly reduces low back pain. The level of pain reduction is clinically important, greater than expected from placebo effects alone, and may persist through the first year of treatment. Additional research is warranted to elucidate mechanistically how OMT exerts its effects, to determine if OMT benefits extend beyond the first year of treatment, and to assess the cost-effectiveness of OMT as a complementary treatment for low back pain.

Study: Jäkel, A., & von Hauenschild, P. (2011). Therapeutic effects of cranial osteopathic manipulative medicine: a systematic review. The Journal Of The American Osteopathic Association, 111(12), 685-693.
Conclusion:The currently available evidence on the clinical efficacy of cranial OMM is heterogeneous and insufficient to draw definitive conclusions. Because of the moderate methodological quality of the studies and scarcity of available data, further research into this area is needed.

Study: Draper, B., Johnson, J., Fossum, C., & Chamberlain, N. (2011). Osteopathic medical students' beliefs about osteopathic manipulative treatment at 4 colleges of osteopathic medicine. The Journal Of The American Osteopathic Association, 111(11), 615-630.
Conclusion: The reason why a student decided to study osteopathic medicine was strongly associated with the level of agreement with osteopathic philosophy and the intention to use OMT in future practice. Prior experience receiving OMT, the medical school that a student attends, and the current year of study appear to be related to the students' levels of agreement with osteopathic philosophy and intention to use OMT.

Those are just some of the studies out there on OMM/OMT. Most of the literature says that further research is needed (duh).

Hmm, haven't had cranial yet but I'm super skeptical, and I'm skeptical about Chapman's. but what about viscerosomatics do you not support?

I just don't believe the list of all the viscerosomatic reflexes is accurate. It seems too "out there."