Omnicare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Might have an opportunity to work here. Anyone have any info about them as a pharmacist? I've been told internships here were boring as ****.

Members don't see this ad.

Coz you've heard it from WVU lol

Reactions: 1 user
I remember someone said Omnicare is where pharmacist careers go to die.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it depends if you are just a dispensing pharmacist or not -- I did a rotation there during school

Might have an opportunity to work here. Anyone have any info about them as a pharmacist? I've been told internships here were boring as ****.

Lol, I totally had to log in to warn you...

I think I lasted about 45 days there before I quit. The only thing its good for (maybe) is a part time extra pay check, but even that is spooky because they are always paying fines for one thing or another.

My BFF works for them; he got that job just a few weeks after being fired from Walgreens after 15 years. He doesn't like taking call, but knew it was part of the job package. The pay wasn't as good, but the benefits are MUCH better and so are the hours.

I can't speak to it as a full-time employee, but I've done some part-time consulting work for them over the years (around 20 hours/year), and I've got nothing but good things to say- I always get paid on time and in full.

I don't work for Omnicare proper. However, I do intern for a large ALF/LTC/SNF pharmacy that was bought out by Omnicare about a decade ago and is currently under their corporate control. Pharmacist morale is extremely high. In the (almost) 2 years I've worked here, no pharmacist has ever even mentioned leaving.

I can imagine that whether you work in front end or back end would make a difference. Back end is a sweat shop. You basically make sure the pill matches the label and that the correct number of pills is in each bubble-pack. Good, if you're burnt out.. but not much else. Front end requires a lot more brainpower and, from what I'm told, is a lot more like hospital dispensing. You have to pay more attention to start and d/c dates, admin times, duplicate orders, etc., because they affect the MARs, which the med techs at the facilities treat like the bible.

I have been a full-time pharmacist for omnicare for almost 4 years. My pharmacy is a special case since we only have 3-full time RPH, 3-part time, 7 technicians which is considered an extremely small pharmacy. It is boring as heck but the job is easy. I will tell you that just recently Omnicare has standardized Oncall pay and it is substantially lesser now than its ever been. As a company I think Omnicare is doing great and it will never go away. Great benefits as mentioned before.

sparda, you remind me of myself when I was your age, bouncing around from job to job (wouldn't this be your third or fourth job?) if not, maybe I am smoking some of the weed that should be legal :). I personally would not want to work full time in that setting, just not my cup of tea.

sparda, you remind me of myself when I was your age, bouncing around from job to job (wouldn't this be your third or fourth job?) if not, maybe I am smoking some of the weed that should be legal :). I personally would not want to work full time in that setting, just not my cup of tea.

It would be the 3rd full time job. The first one was at the small community hospital (probably should have just stayed there and transferred to the adult medical center when a position opened up there), instead I took a shot at pediatrics and found it's not for me.

For now I just picked up a lot more hours at the independent and at the other hospital where I'm per diem. Independent said he'd take me on full time, anywhere from 44-55 hours per week depending on if he needs me an additional day or not. I'm trying to talk him into opening a specialty pharmacy for HIV meds and non-sterile compounding. He already has like 5 stores going. He wants me at the main store (500-600 scripts/day) for 1-2 days and the new store (50-100 scripts/day) the rest of the time.

I can do the 600 scripts/day maybe 1-2 days but more than that would be pushing it for me. The new pharmacy is a cakewalk. Even though it's just me, one tech, and a front store clerk there, most of the time we're just on ESPN watching the World Cup (yeah, he's cool with it, he has a TV at the main pharmacy that does 600 scripts/day that he keeps on for the pharmacist to watch so they stay sane).