OMS experience post residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Localnative

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for OMS grads only...

I've been out of residency now for >4yrs and currently practice in the Southeast. I work 6 days a week and I'm on staff at 4 hospitals. I have a comfortable income but nothing impressive. I take most insurances and see patients ages 0-100.

OMS is a tough gig where I reside. I like what I do, however the economics concerns me. Working any less and I'll certainly come up short every month with loan repayment, credit card debt, insurance premium payments etc.

What is your work experience like? Are you working your butts off to make ends meet? With rising malpractice premiums and an increase in claims against OMS in my neck of the woods I'm wondering if a change of scenery will improve things.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not a OMS grad, but I'd imagine that everything will improve drastically once your student loans and credit card debts are paid off completely. I'd try to put as much towards those as possible each month (especially CC debt with ridiculous interest rates). Another thought that comes to mind is to explain the position you are in, and ask for a raise. It sounds like you work a ton, which makes you valuable. The worst that can happen is they say no. I wish I could speak to location, but hopefully someone else can. Best of luck to you. On the bright side, you are in a great profession with solid demand.

I've been out of residency now for >4yrs and currently practice in the Southeast. I work 6 days a week and I'm on staff at 4 hospitals. I have a comfortable income but nothing impressive. I take most insurances and see patients ages 0-100.

OMS is a tough gig where I reside. I like what I do, however the economics concerns me. Working any less and I'll certainly come up short every month with loan repayment, credit card debt, insurance premium payments etc.

What is your work experience like? Are you working your butts off to make ends meet? With rising malpractice premiums and an increase in claims against OMS in my neck of the woods I'm wondering if a change of scenery will improve things.

Do you own a practice?

Check out this one for sale up in New Hampshire:

ref# 1846

http://adstransitions.com/Public/Dental-Listings/New-Hampshire/All-Opportunities/Any-Status

OR this one:

http://ubdentalalumni.com/job_view.php?jb_id=20541

Have you looked at dentaltown for practices?
If you are doing mostly hospital work, I'm not surprised you are working so hard and making (relatively) little. The real $$$ are in outpatient OS, which is usually done in an operator-owned office.

Maybe it's time to buy?

Members don't see this ad :)

Or what about this bad boy:

http://www.glassdoor.com/job-listin...O0,44_KE45,67.htm?jl=1088497386&paoIdKey=MA==

Here are the relevant details:

"Full time fee-for-service practice has stable gross revenues of approximately $1.5 Million per year and annual net income > $1 Million."

Sounds like a keeper!

thank you for the posts and advice! it is much appreciated.