On call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr kevin40

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you go into single private practice, how often do you have to take call, and what is the lifestyle and compensation like for going into infertility?Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

dr kevin40 said:
If you go into single private practice, how often do you have to take call, and what is the lifestyle and compensation like for going into infertility?Thanks

I don't think anyone goes into single private practice anymore. Most join a group of doctors and split the call between them. So if you join a practice with 10 doctors, you're on q10. If you were in practice by yourself, you'd be on call every single time your patients delivered or had a medical emergency.

Infertility is a good field with a good lifestyle, but I can't comment on compensation. From what I understand, it's fairly lucrative.

Although going into single practice is indeed less common these days, there are still several mds out there that prefer the "partner-less" lifestyle. Contrary to the previous post, you wouldn't necessarily have to be on call every night if you joined a call group (a group comprised of either individual mds or groups of mds that cover for each other during call nights). As such, you may benefit from having your own practice (without the hassle of having partners) and still have decent call. Going along the same example as above, if you joined a call group of 10, you could potentially be taking call 1 in every 10 nights/weekends.
Infertility is a great and interesting specialty that is quickly advancing in technology over the past several years. Reimbursement is great, but getting there is tough (REI fellowships are competitive and the REI boards have the highest failure rate of all the Gyn subspecialties).

jvarga said:
Contrary to the previous post, you wouldn't necessarily have to be on call every night if you joined a call group (a group comprised of either individual mds or groups of mds that cover for each other during call nights). As such, you may benefit from having your own practice (without the hassle of having partners) and still have decent call. Going along the same example as above, if you joined a call group of 10, you could potentially be taking call 1 in every 10 nights/weekends.

Jvarga is right ~ I didn't take into consideration joining a call group. It would alleviate some of the problems of having partners and cut down on call. However, If I were going into solo practice, I'd assume I'd have a good relationship with my patients and would want to be available to them ~ and they may even expect me to, since they would be aware that I didn't have partners. They may not be so thrilled to show up for their delivery and have someone they've never met deliver their baby.

It all depends on why you want to go into a solo private practice. It's got pros and cons, just like everything else.