On campus vs off campus while in Veterinary School (UW Madison)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do you prefer living near campus or a little off campus for veterinary school?

• Near campus

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • A little off campus

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

sstorm038

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying to UW-Madison Veterinary School this summer and gaining residency in Wisconsin as I am applying. I was wondering if living closer to campus is more beneficial than living a little off campus (10-15 min drive)? I know as an undergrad I really liked living close to campus because I could go home for lunch during my breaks in classes. I could go to study groups or office hours more readily. I know veterinary school is a lot more rigorous, so I'm not sure I would even be getting the chance to go home for lunch even if I did live close. Near campus the apartments are more expensive and not as nice, but a little off campus the apartments are cheaper and a little nicer. What do fellow veterinary school students feel works best for them?

Members don't see this ad.

Go off campus. Staying on campus means you're more likely to be caught up in the undergrad crowd, noisy parties, and general hub-ub that comes with it. The only break you might have during vet school is your lunch, where it's best to bring a lunch with you to school a la high school-esque. Plus a lot of your fellow classmates will likely be living off-campus too, some perhaps closer to you than they could have been if you lived on-campus.

Personally, I'd go with the cheaper way and look into the housing that's further from campus. 10 minutes isn't too bad of a commute, especially if rent isn't too expensive and you have the option of public transport in the area. I did this for my Senior year of undergrad and it wasn't that bad. Just pack a lunch before you leave home.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can actually find nice places fairly close to campus that aren't in undergrad territory if you stick to the west side of Madison. I lived an approximately 10 minute bike ride away, which was nice because I could bike or walk if the bus was going to be a long wait.

For my first three years of school, I lived 15-20mins from campus (at AVC, not UW) and only found it to be inconvenient a few times. Sure, I had to drive back into town to get groceries, do laundry, study in the anatomy lab or meet up friends, but the cost of living was lower and it was a beautiful little place with a nice view and a great landlord. For my fourth year, I lived ~5mins from school and while it was more convenient (which is why I had to move), it was also a lot louder, had some sketchy neighbors and was a lot more expensive. So long as you aren't like an hour away from school, I think either option is fine and depends on all of the smaller factors.

Not familiar with Madison, WI but I have lived around OSU's campus since I left the undergrad dorms (2007-ish). It was very convenient initially. As I transitioned from undergrad to graduate school I moved a little further away but still within the sprawling student ghetto that surrounds the campus. I love my little apartment and have lived in it for five years, but having to deal with the constant partying, drunken disputes, vandalism, limited parking, trash-filled alleyways, unplowed sidewalks, shootings, constant roadway disruptions anytime there's a football game or marathon, etc. has pushed me to look for housing in a more mature area that offers more space for the price and better amenities.

Living on campus for the first year or two might be better if you're completely new to an area. If anything it gives you time to explore other neighborhoods and find a more suitable living situation for the future.

Thank you everyone for the responses! They were really helpful!

I will be starting at UW-SVM this fall and just wanted to let you know that getting a parking permit there is next to impossible - they are only granted in special situations or if you live outside the bus line - due to very limited parking space near the school. Bus passes are free for students, however, so just be aware that a 10-15 min drive is more like 30 min by bus, which is how far away I will be living. Of course you can find something closer to the school, but bear in mind that apartments do get more expensive the closer to the school they are. Just something to keep in mind! Best of luck! :)