? on Navy ceremony etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monty Python

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today my pastor asked that I wear my Service Dress Blues and carry the American flag in the church processional on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. Would I remain covered in church when processing with the flag? If no, I presume that means I don't salute the flag after placing it in the flag-stand since Navy personnel only salute when covered.

Anyone have experience with this particular situation? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No personal experience, but the below reg jives with my understanding (taken from the general uniform regulations):

"Indoors, personnel shall remain uncovered at all times unless directed otherwise by higher authority for a special situation/event. Those service members in a duty status and wearing side arms or a pistol belt may only remove headgear indoors when entering dining, medical or FOD hazard areas or where religious services are being conducted. Tiaras may be left on indoors."

Obviously you're not in a duty status. And unlike a color guard, the ceremony you are participating in is not Navy authorized or sponsored. Accordingly, it does not seem that you are authorized wear of a cover.

Thanks, I read through the NAVPERS 15665I, and your above quote is the closest thing I could find related to my situation. Just for corroboration I searched multiple combinations of Navy, church, cover, color guard, etc. Didn't find anything more specific in writing than the 15665I, although it did find several images in church of covered Navy color guard (at funerals).

Members don't see this ad :)
Do whatever feels comfortable. I would just go without a cover, but nobody is going to give you much hassle for wearing it while carrying a flag and even if you salute it after you put it in the stand.

If there are other service members there just make it look uniform in regards to covers and saluting. If you're the odd man out not saluting, despite navy regs saying otherwise, people are going to look at you funny.

Though, in fairness to our female colleagues, this pales in comparison to the Tropical Dress Whites:

o027.jpg

Note that the white dress socks must be pulled up all the way. Having never worn this uniform, I'm unclear how that is accomplished, since shirt-stays are evidently not an option.

Ugh. This was fairly common in Hawaii, usually on a female with a BMI around 35. Some things cannot be unseen.

Reactions: 2 users
Awesome. I have been told that this uniform has been discontinued. True?

Couldn't tell you, but for all our sakes', I hope so. I actually don't mind the all white in the right setting; it's just the shorts and socks are horrible.

The Army still had a dress white uniform authorized for wear in tropical climates when I came on active duty, but I think it was discontinued with the ASU (AKA bus driver uniform). I could never find one at clothing sales, so I think they might have quit making them a long time ago.

Navy had a khaki version of the tropical uniform. It was authorized in Bermuda. Cover was combination, garrison or . . . a pith helmet, with the Navy officer's cap device on the crown.

My personal favorite ceremonial dress uniform. Behold the sappers of the French Foreign Legion.
SAPPERS.jpg

Oh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK...

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like a Navy cover.

Looks like a Navy cover.

From a distance, yes, but up close I'm still going with USPHS. The USN officer crest has mirror-image crossed anchors. In contrast, the USPHS has dissimilar parts on the officer crest, seen below. I think the hat-band below is what's being worn with the salt-and-pepper uniform.

Attachments

• USHG-079-1.jpg
    USHG-079-1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 43
I guess their service with the Coast Guard gets them an anchor on the cover. I think he has a Navy Com, or rather a Coast Guard Com.