On track for a shot at UTSW/Baylor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jd989898

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished freshman year and I'm wondering how my trajectory is looking for acceptance to one of the better TX med schools or maybe even better. (I'm a TX resident). I'd also like any tips on how to improve. Thanks for your time!

Fall 2012-
Calc 1- A
Bio 1- A
Chem 1- A
Chem 1 Lab- A
Fitness Credit- A
Health Seminar- A
Research Seminar- A

Spring 2013-
Calc 2- A
Bio 2- B
Chem 2- A
Chem 2 Lab- A
Theatre History- A
Research Seminar (P/F) - P

cGPA - 3.866
sGPA - 3.825

Gonna try to get my GPA above 3.90 the next couple semesters..

ECs
-Writing for the school's newspaper
-On the university's powerlifting team
-Volunteer to help teach a GED class in the area (started Jan. 2013, 8 hrs/wk) -- very meaningful, a lot of good involved experiences here
-Volunteer at the hospital in the emergency room (Started Jan. 2013, 3 hrs/wk)
-Participating in a research program this summer that's supposed to teach me basic research skills, then starting my own research in the fall
-Will be a supplemental instruction leader for a freshman class in the fall

Also, I'm taking summer classes so the volunteering at the GED class and hospital will continue throughout the summer. Might start trying to shadow a doctor this summer as well. And depending how I like doing research, I might shoot for an MD/PhD program and I'm not sure if I would be on track for that either.

Any help appreciated, thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

No med school would ever take anyone with a GPA as low as 3.8. Get at me bro.

Members don't see this ad :)
No med school would ever take anyone with a GPA as low as 3.8. Get at me bro.

:laugh:

You are fine OP. Just please don't be focused on specific schools. It is best if you try and spend all your energy on getting into A school.

Edit - This was taken from the utsw website

GPA
Average: 3.8
Range: 3.1-4.0

MCAT
Average: 33.7
Range: 27-42

Baylor
Average undergraduate GPA: 3.83
Average MCAT score: 11.50 (15-point scale)

Last edited:
I think for someone just finishing up freshman year, you're looking great. Just remember, tougher times lie ahead, so don't let this get to your head. Stay the course, stay motivated. If you find you like research and then seriously consider vying for MD/PhD, sustain your research experience.

I think for someone just finishing up freshman year, you're looking great. Just remember, tougher times lie ahead, so don't let this get to your head. Stay the course, stay motivated. If you find you like research and then seriously consider vying for MD/PhD, sustain your research experience.

Thanks for the advice. I can already tell this fall will be a noticeable increase in difficulty.

I'll be taking Microbiology, Physics, Orgo, and Statistics for math majors..

Gj on ur successful freshman year. I think High gpa and mcat (90+percentile) will pretty much guarantee an early interview at both school.

Thanks for replies everyone..

Also forgot to point it out, but obviously I got a B in bio 2.

Will this affect me even a little bit as long as I graduate with a 3.9+ gpa? I'm just concerned bc it's a pre-req and I'm a biology major.

Will this affect me even a little bit as long as I graduate with a 3.9+ gpa? I'm just concerned bc it's a pre-req and I'm a biology major.

OP one B will not matter at all. You are doing great keep up the good work.

I got a B+ in orgo 2 and a B in biochem...and you can check my MDApps to see how well that worked out for me.

UTSW will automatically extend you an invitation if your numbers are high enough, though I don't know what exactly that cutoff would be.