oncology fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chandi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
I want to know if I have any chance for getting oncology fellowship with no research and graduating from university affiliated community hospital , I am us citizen img who graduated 2 years ago and is working as a hospitalist
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hi
I want to know if I have any chance for getting oncology fellowship with no research and graduating from university affiliated community hospital , I am us citizen img who graduated 2 years ago and is working as a hospitalist
thanks

Yes. But how likely you are to get a spot depends on a lot of things you didn't specify in your post. Your best shots are going to be at your residency institution or associated hospital (unless the affiliation is in name only which is pretty common) and at the place where you're working now (if it has one). If neither of those places are possible, apply to every single community program and places you've never heard of and see what happens.

If you are a US citizen you probably have decent chances if you are completely flexible about location, willing to go to a lot of interviews, and submit an otherwise strong application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you please tell me what other strong points could I have on my application while applying for oncology? Also I was considering applying for med oncology only as I am not interested in hematology part
Thanks

Can you please tell me what other strong points could I have on my application while applying for oncology? Also I was considering applying for med oncology only as I am not interested in hematology part
Thanks

Research is pretty much the only thing you can do to

Thanks

Whoops...hit submit too fast...anyhoo.

Research is about the only thing you can do to buff your CV @ this point. And if you're not interested in research (like a career in research) single boarding is a bad idea. It will make it much harder to find PP jobs if you can't see 15-20% of the patients referred to the practice. Also, the number of onc only programs is pretty small so you'd be further limiting your chances of matching.

I had a good experience with the faculty at uconn but they only showed on of the hospitals which was not very impressive. Did not get much idea about actual research opportunities. I know these might not be the top programs but any one has any indication about the reputation of these two programs. I would really appreciate any advice.

some other thing you can consider is to find one year program such as neuro oncology or a research fellowship which is inside hem/onc program somewhere to build up cv... you could get a good publication and cv if you work hard for a year or two.