Oncology vs Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOdoc22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am currently a resident in a different specialty. I have decided to switch specialties because of my desire to be more involved in acute care. I am however split as to which specialty I should pursue. I am split between Oncology and Neurology.

Due to recent family health issues, I have become very interested in Oncology. I am prepared to begin from the start with IM and pursue a fellowship. I also like Neurology though as well. I am very interested in brain function and stroke.

My question (if anyone can help) is which of these specialties is better in terms of lifestyle, relationship with patients, and potential future. I already know the salary differences. I feel that either way i go, I will enjoy what I do and am very interested in both. I just need to know how my life will be beyond residency and fellowship, how busy I will be, and how much time I can spend with family. Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.