one and only one question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjs010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
nah im jk, i have a few: I'm slightly a non-trad. student. been a mix up between PT and DO for a while now...and I had to go back to school to re take a lot of classes to even consider applying.

do all DO schools replace re-taken grades if it is higher? This would significantly change my 3.25 GPA, which is not good.

Also, do you consider an MD family member as a legit LoR , or does it look douchey?

Thanks alot..it may take a while for me to apply..I have not taken Mcat, and I lack organics, but i'm getting right on it.

inb4 troll. lol I'm dead serious my gpa is that bad.

Members don't see this ad.

It's either you're trolling or you're just being a douche to think that 3.25 GPA is "that bad." It's below average, yeah, but there are people who are applying with below that to DO school.

AACOMAS will replace grades and count the last attempt as the actual grade. If you received a C+, retook for a B, then retook again and received a B-... you are getting a B-.

As for the MD letter... no one has to know they're family. But still, I would shadow a DO if you're looking at DO school, as many don't take a MD letter in lieu of a DO letter.

nah im jk, i have a few: I'm slightly a non-trad. student. been a mix up between PT and DO for a while now...and I had to go back to school to re take a lot of classes to even consider applying.

do all DO schools replace re-taken grades if it is higher? This would significantly change my 3.25 GPA, which is not good.

Also, do you consider an MD family member as a legit LoR , or does it look douchey?

Thanks alot..it may take a while for me to apply..I have not taken Mcat, and I lack organics, but i'm getting right on it.

Yes, AACOMAS (DO application service) replaces grades from re-takes.

Most schools won't accept LOR's from family members. You could ask your family member if their colleagues would let you shadow though and get an LOR from one of them. At least you have a good connection for that.

You should go ahead and apply if you think that's the way you want to go :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Can't get in with a 3.25. Go back to the PT forum.

LOL'd. You'll probably freak him out if he doesn't know you.

I was a PT major my first 1.5 years in college. Biggest mistake of my life. I wasn't serious at all about my classes, and given my ****ty major choice I was taking half of my medical prerequisites while goofing off. :rolleyes:

Playing catch up hasn't been fun. A couple 4.0's, 3.5's, and 3.8's later and I'm back in the ballgame, thankfully. It's been a long, stressful road. :laugh:

Notsureifsrs

A lot of schools have 3.3-4 gpa averages. With grade replacement there's no telling what my gpa will be when I'm ready to apply. Much higher :) in expecting a 3.5. It's really hard to calculate when I'll be five re taking classes and what my gpa will be.

Btw, pt schools don't do grade replacement lol so it's hard to get in also

Yes

No
Also, do you consider an MD family member as a legit LoR ,

Yes

or does it look douchey?

thanks for the responses. I guess I will rule my brother out as a LoR. Although, I don't see why I have to put " MY BROTHER" in big red letters ...so maybe I'll keep it on the DL and still use him. along with him, I have another MD who I randomly befriended, and he will give me one as well. I will ask a chemistry professor, and the most important will eventually be a DO. There is a neuro Physiatrist outpatient in my area..maybe I'll try to start observing there. I really have to get my EC's up to part.

As for the GPA, the cGPA and prereq should be close to 3.5 in about a year from now when I'm done taking organics. So hopefully I will have time to study and take the MCAT by then and make atleast a 26. I really want to apply for 2014. I'm 23 now...I can't wait too much longer.

I considered asking a family member MD for a LOR, especially since we don't share last names. But ultimately I decided against it, since we know plenty of MDs and DOs anyway. I figure why risk it?