About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One month to study for MCCEE

Discussion in 'Canada' started by cyMD, Dec 11, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. cyMD

cyMD

Medical Student

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hello everyone!

I am a Canadian IMG planning to match in the US and I am scheduled to take MCCEE in January 2013 in order to get my Statement of Need.

I have one month to study for this test during rotations. I plan on doing one qbank:
    What is a better qbank: Canada MCC or Canada qbank?

I took Step 2 CK back in July and got a 242. Had a 250 on Step 1.
    Can anyone tell me what is the passing score for MCCEE?
    Do my scores on Steps indicate if I'll probably pass if I just study a qbank for this next month.
    Also, is there a practice test I can do that will give me an idea of where I stand now on passing the test (before I start to study)?

Thanks in advance for all the advice. :)
    Good luck to everyone in this years MATCH!!!
  2. Medstart108

Medstart108

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't know about qbanks but i know that with scores like 250 and 242 on step 1 and 2, you do not need to worry about failing the MCCEE. Check out this FAQ page http://www.mcc.ca/en/faq/faq_ee.shtml#q4 it tells you everything you need to know. Pass score is 250, 33% or so fail the exam. The MCCEE is similar to the Step 2 CK.
  3. cyMD

cyMD

Medical Student
    Thanks so much for the reassurance. I'm going to do one month of Canada Qbank and hope for the best. Everyone that is Canadian that I spoke to on the interview trail has said its a lot easier than Step 2 CK, so hopefully I'll do ok.

Thanks again.
  4. NewCanadian

NewCanadian CdnNurse

Academic Administration
    SDN 7+ Year Member
  5. cyMD

cyMD

Medical Student
    hey I just read your linked post NewCanadian. That's interesting!

So less pressure I guess.

I still plan on obtaining my license for Canadian as I do my residency in the USA.
    Does that mean I will still need to do the MCCEE anyways, since I plan on taking my MCCQE 1 & 2 during residency?

Thanks.
  6. septoplasty

septoplasty Exceptional

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Depending on the residency, and licensing practices.. I don't think you'd need to take the Canadian exams.
  7. cyMD

cyMD

Medical Student
    Interesting! I have to do more research about "coming back to Canada"!
    And about J1 visa and the 2 years of return and J1 waiver jobs.

Thanks for all the support and advice everyone!
  8. cyMD

cyMD

Medical Student
    Hey everyone!

So I'm still going to take MCCEE in a couple days since I already registered for it and paid close to $2000 for it and all the paperwork back in November.

I've done about 1/3 of canadaqbank and I'm averaging 67%.

I know I did pretty well on my USMLEs but that was in July 2011 and 2012, and because of intense surgery rotation and residency interviews I haven't really had time to do much except do the 1/3 of questions on qbank. Feeling really unprepared going into this - but just need to pass.

Anyone know if 67% on canadaqbank correlates to a pass (250)?
  9. GluteusMaximus

GluteusMaximus Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Relax. With ur step 1 and 2 scores I'm sure ur a pretty good test taker... this exam straight forward.. not tricks.. no gimmicks... I guarantee ull score above the 90th percentile whether u study or not.. trust me.. I scored above the 99th percentile on this... on top of that.. nobody cares about ur score, just get the pass and ur golden..
  10. cyMD

cyMD

Medical Student
    Thanks! I just hope I don't blank. When I do questions, I'm getting really easy stuff wrong. And some of the qbank questions are so ridiculous. Its been like 6 months since reviewing anything hardcore and I feel like my IM and ob/gyn was ages ago. I've been reading a couple chapters out of my Step 2 Secrets book and I think that's what's freaking me out because there so much stuff I don't remember.

Hopefully the difficulty/type of questions is similar to the qbank?!

Also, does anyone know if I just bring the two pieces of ID to the prometric center? That's what is says on the website, so I hope thats all. With USMLE, we needed the permit as well, but there wasn't one when I booked this test. Can anyone confirm? I just plan to bring my passport and drivers license.

Thanks a bunch guys!