One More School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahayes2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was planning on applying to 6 dental schools. I bought the ADEA guide so I could look at the charts and see which are out of state friendly. I found that Mississippi was not very oos friendly so I began to look for a new one, but now the darn e-book won't scroll properly for me and I am getting aggravated. So i wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions for another school or if you think I should apply to more than six.
I am a TN resident btw, 3.93 GPA, 20 DAT

Schools:
UTHSC (Memphis)
Meharry
Louisville KY
Lexington KY
Alabama

Members don't see this ad.

There are some people here who believe that applying to a small handful of schools with good stats is fine, but I am really risk-averse and do not recommend it. An acceptance is not guaranteed. It can cost you a year's worth of salary and that application fee is really a small drop in the grand scheme of things.

VCU is considered OOS friendly with about a third of the class being OOS. Still, you know how many people applied in 2014 who were OOS? 2,052. Of those, 36 matriculated. That's 1.75% of OOS applicants who matriculated into the school. The same is true for many schools.

The general rule of thumb is to apply broadly. Even if you do have more interviews and possibly more acceptances to choose from, you will have known the dental school better by having visited the campus and the city, and by having personally met the faculty. Then you will have a better idea of where you really want to go to dental school. Your vicinity to your family and friends may be more important, and that's fine, but at the end of the day remember that an acceptance isn't certain. Apply broadly!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There are some people here who believe that applying to a small handful of schools with good stats is fine, but I am really risk-averse and do not recommend it.
Agreed.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a TN resident as well and had the exact same stats as you (except I had a 19AA) and out of your list I was only accepted to Louisville...wait listed at Memphis and Meharry, rejected from KY. Might want to add a few schools. FWIW, I was also accepted to Tufts, UNLV, Roseman, Creighton, and VCU (I was classified as instate for VCU as well bc of income tax). Also offered interviews at LECOM and WVU but I turned them down.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks for the help guys! I really do not want to apply to too many because of money, but like you said probably shouldnt take the risk. Ill consider doing more. I use to consider LSU but they don't seem us friendly. Maybe they would make an exception for a super saints fan lol