One more year of undergrad or Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elprez33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Note: Sorry if this is posted under the wrong category.

Ok, here is the low-down on my situation. I am going into my Senior year at a small public university in Oregon. I have not completed any prereqs for med school and have set up a plan to complete them all, it just means that I will have to attend school here one year more.

I have been investigating Post-Baccalaureate programs and that also seems like a potential path to med school. The MCAT prep, advising, and volunteer guidance seems like a solid package. Plus it would get us out of backwoods Oregon, and my wife and I both are wanting to leave.

My question is, should I do all the prerequisite classes at my current school or should I just focus on graduating and do the prereqs through a Post-Bacc program? It will cost more to do the Post-Bacc, but cost is not too much of an issue, whereas making my application to med school as competitive as possible is.

By the way, my major is sociology (psychology minor) and I have a 3.93 GPA. Lots of extracurriculars (internships, research experience) and leadership experience. The science classes that I have taken (astronomy and intro to organic/biochem), I earned A's in both of them. If that means anything. I'm confident in my ability to take on the science prereqs, I just wonder if I am better off doing them somewhere else.

Edit: OR would it work for me to do my prereqs at a nearby community college?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This about the 15th new thread this month with the same question so maybe check out the search function to get more details, as this has been answered many times over.

In short:
-Most people vote against CCs, they're seen as less rigorous. If you have to, you have to, but it doesn't sound like you have to.
-If you're already enrolled at a 4 year somewhere, my vote is always for doing an extra year. Many here would second that.
-If you're looking for support at your uni, check out the career services office or what ever pre-health advising services are there. Can't promise they'll be super, but you never know til you ask. They should at least be able to help you with scheduling everything out and issuing LORs.

Reactions: 1 user