One of my chiefs just told me to find another program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usedtobecool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a CA-1 in a program in trouble. We've been three years without a chair, currently don't have enough facultyto meet minimum requirements, and the few we have are pretty sure we're going on probation, at the least, come our next visit from the RRC. Anybody know of any programs with immediate openings for CA-1's or CA-2 spots in July?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a CA-1 in a program in trouble. We've been three years without a chair, currently don't have enough facultyto meet minimum requirements, and the few we have are pretty sure we're going on probation, at the least, come our next visit from the RRC. Anybody know of any programs with immediate openings for CA-1's or CA-2 spots in July?

Would you mind sharing the program name? You can PM me. It would help an MSIV with a rank list.

Thanks!

make it public so we all know

Members don't see this ad :)
make it public so we all know

At the very least send it via PM to the people posting to this thread...!

This is very distressing, as I have a program on my list that has chair issues.

Ship, if you get it via PM would you mind forwarding it my way if that's ok with the OP (and if it would save her/him the trouble)?

Ship, if you get it via PM would you mind forwarding it my way if that's ok with the OP (and if it would save her/him the trouble)?

no response... I'm sure we'd all appreciate if the OP would help us all out and prevent people from falling into his/her same shoes

no response... I'm sure we'd all appreciate if the OP would help us all out and prevent people from falling into his/her same shoes

I certainly do not want to cause any problems for the program in question or for the OP; on the other hand, given the timeline for ROL submission, I will give this until tonight and then likely post on the main forum in reference to it and ask if anyone knows anything.

It is entirely possible that the post is completely baseless, since the user in question only has 1 post, and (again) given the timeline for ROL list submission.

So heres the deal. Those you not yet residents will one day understand the need for me to maintain some anonymity. Let me just tell you this, if you are interviewing at ANY program with chair issues, consider very carefully that it can take a very long time to find a chair who the faculty and dean can actually agree on. Also, the chair candidates sometimes ask more than what the dean of a particular school will dish out. If my particular program is high on your rank list, you already know about the issues that I'm talking about (assuming you paid any attention on your interview day!). I understand the stress of making your rank list, and committing to the unkown. So, look at the history of the program you're applying too. If, that program has a history of multiple chairs who have stayed for 1 to 3 years, and then moved on to greener patures, then maybe you should look for greener patures too (hint, hint). I hope that helps

Guys -

Regardless of exactly where the OP's program is - and I understand the concern - I think chairman issues should be a red flag. It doesn't have to be a deal breaker, but be very wary of what you're getting into. If you have programs that are generally equal in your viewpoint, a program with chair issues should be ranked lower, IMO.

Many folks disagree, but my viewpoint is that "stuff" runs downhill...and you (we) are at the bottom of that hill.

It's unfortunate that the OP posted now, but it's still a valid topic.

Good luck guys!

dc

Funny how rumors and whatnot really seem to surface around match time.

At any rate, the post is coming from a legit location where an anesthesiology residency is located. I have no earthly idea whether or not what the OP posted is true or not. If the OP wants us to give the program location, he will.

I don't think having a new chairman is necessarily bad. If a program is solid otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about a changing of the guard.

Narcus, you are too late, i beat you to it ;-)

i totally agree a new chair is not necessarily a bad thing... our new chair is great and has made positive changes. but a constant changing of the guard at the top might mean something else