One of the worst things that could happen to an aspiring dentist...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samin23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

One of my worst nightmares came true this weekend when I chipped my tooth. It is not noticeable unless I look very closely in a mirror, but it is definitely chipped.
Does anyone know if it can possibly get worse? I'm planning on seeing a local dentist, but I just wanted to get some other opinions. I'm really nervous about this considering I am an aspiring dentist.:(

Members don't see this ad.

i once chipped my tooth. Its a pretty easy fix. take a deep breath.

Reactions: 2 users
That's definitely not the worst thing that can happen. At least you didn't scuff your knees, stub your toe, get scratched by a cat, break a nail, have too many eyelashes fall out, get a pimple, get a sore inside your mouth, develop a wrinkle on your forehead, get a gray hair, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
A chipped tooth is one of the worst things that could happen to an aspiring dentist? :rofl:

Reactions: 1 users
I went to a hand surgeon after I bent one of my fingernail backwards because I thought I might get nerve damage from it. So, I know exactly what you are going through. I would go see an endodontist to see if you have any nerve damage before you get it filled.

Hi guys,

One of my worst nightmares came true this weekend when I chipped my tooth. It is not noticeable unless I look very closely in a mirror, but it is definitely chipped.
Does anyone know if it can possibly get worse? I'm planning on seeing a local dentist, but I just wanted to get some other opinions. I'm really nervous about this considering I am an aspiring dentist.:(

Tell this to somebody who lost their limb(s).
Very childish to say.

If anything this should give you confidence, and a opening conversation with the patient you will be in front of.

Reactions: 1 user
Tell this to somebody who lost their limb(s).
Very childish to say.

If anything this should give you confidence, and a opening conversation with the patient you will be in front of.

I'm just really nervous about this and don't want to have any long-term affects or nerve damage.

I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else reading this thread. That was absolutely not my intention and I can see how it can sound very childish of me. And for that, I sincerely apologize.

I'm just really nervous about this and don't want to have any long-term affects or nerve damage.

I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone else reading this thread. That was absolutely not my intention and I can see how it can sound very childish of me. And for that, I sincerely apologize.

Go get a root canal, post, and crown.

Apology accepted, but please, keep in mind there are people who wish they could be the best dentist, probably better than you could be, but can't, due to a real trauma, not your everyday patient scenario.

Baby

Go get a root canal, post, and crown.

Apology accepted, but please, keep in mind there are people who wish they could be the best dentist, probably better than you could be, but can't, due to a real trauma, not your everyday patient scenario.

Baby

Lol, you're getting b8ed m8.

Hey Broseph, I have the worst mouth genetics ever. 12 congenitally missing teeth, braces for 4 years. I have have to drop some bank for all of the oral surgery that my mouth still requires.
Do you know what they got me?
EXPERIENCE!
In one of my dental school interviews they loved the fact that I can relate to nearly every patient out there. So look at this as a positive. If you are going to be a dentist, it's good to know what it's like being the patient.

Hey Broseph, I have the worst mouth genetics ever. 12 congenitally missing teeth, braces for 4 years. I have have to drop some bank for all of the oral surgery that my mouth still requires.
Do you know what they got me?
EXPERIENCE!
In one of my dental school interviews they loved the fact that I can relate to nearly every patient out there. So look at this as a positive. If you are going to be a dentist, it's good to know what it's like being the patient.
So what you're telling me is I should have had at least a cavity so I can better relate to future patients? **** me, I'm never getting accepted to dental school. I knew I should've eaten more candy as a kid.

So what you're telling me is I should have had at least a cavity so I can better relate to future patients? **** me, I'm never getting accepted to dental school. I knew I should've eaten more candy as a kid.
No haha, I think Jeff meant looking at the positive side of things.
If you have bad "mouth genetics" then you can use that to relate to patients or to reassure them as an example that "everything is gonna be okay". If you have good oral hygiene, you can use that as a motivation for patients and help them to improve.

No haha, I think Jeff meant looking at the positive side of things.
If you have bad "mouth genetics" then you can use that to relate to patients or to reassure them as an example that "everything is gonna be okay". If you have good oral hygiene, you can use that as a motivation for patients and help them to improve.

I was completely joking, but thank you for the response :hello:

All I was getting at was he could use it to his advantage. Patients want to be confident in their dentists, and this would be a good way to gain their trust.

Best of luck. Honestly, I'm not to sure what you can do from here on out. Adcoms expect immaculate smiles. i knew this one nerd with a 30 DAT, but he had the cutest little :bucktooth:. turns out, no go