One secondary asks me if I believe my mcat score is representative of my potential to succeed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrh125

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
edited

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You did well in the sciences, which IMO matter more for medicine. But I dunno if that is a good thing to put. Maybe you could word it in a better way

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You've received secondaries this year?

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

i'm technically prewriting, but the question has been the same for several years for the school im looking at.

Could try taking the opposite strategy "yes, I believe it is. I scored in the 80th and 77th percentile in the subsections showing that I am capable of succeeding in medicine academically. More importantly, taken together with my application, it shows that I am a well-rounded person who was also volunteering/working and will make an excellent physician because of all of this. The last time I checked, being in the 90th+ percentile acaemically does not teach one empathy, caring, or people skills." or something like that.

Could try taking the opposite strategy "yes, I believe it is. I scored in the 80th and 77th percentile in the subsections showing that I am capable of succeeding in medicine academically. More importantly, taken together with my application, it shows that I am a well-rounded person who was also volunteering/working and will make an excellent physician because of all of this. The last time I checked, being in the 90th+ percentile acaemically does not teach one empathy, caring, or people skills." or something like that.

do questions like these even matter...

you can easily justify the complete opposite argument.... "I got a 45T on my MCAT. This will clearly make me a good physician because I demonstrated that I can work hard and not make mistakes. Not making mistakes is critical when a patient is lying unconscious on your operating table with a hole in their head and you are trying to remove a tumor."

do questions like these even matter...

you can easily justify the complete opposite argument.... "I got a 45T on my MCAT. This will clearly make me a good physician because I demonstrated that I can work hard and not make mistakes. Not making mistakes is critical when a patient is lying unconscious on your operating table with a hole in their head and you are trying to remove a tumor."

if they didn't idk why they'd ask =/. there are a range of acceptable and unacceptable answers prob. what you put would work fine, saying anything to undermine the mcat would be bode far less well.

One secondary asks me if I believe my mcat score is representative of my potential to succeed in medical school.

That's a crazy question. I have no idea what I'd say. GL

I would say that I don't speak in codes - much like many of the verbal passage. As you can see from my science, I have a superb understanding.

Then again my personal statement had awkward sentences and grammatical errors all over. They still took me in despite my gigantic difference in my subscores

If you have a strong GPA, I'd focus on that.

I feel that my GPA is a stronger reflection of my ability to succeed and blah blah.

edited

Last edited:
I was asked a similar question once in an interview, but about my GPA. I think I said something along the lines of "I worked hard for my GPA, but I don't like to define my future potential by my past accomplishments." Maybe some variant of that would work for you? The MCAT was one snapshot of a specific set of skills, but other experiences you've had paint a fuller picture of your future potential. Further, your future potential is not limited by your past work, or something like that.

I think with this question, just answer it honestly. Then, back up your answer honestly. As long as you are being honest and can speak honestly about it during an interview. you are fine.

I think with this question, just answer it honestly. Then, back up your answer honestly. As long as you are being honest and can speak honestly about it during an interview. you are fine.

sounds like a plan though if I use the honestly all it'll remind me of is how people who lie more frequently overuse the word honestly :p.

How were your SATs / ACTs? Did those scores accurately predict how you did in college? If not, you can say that your 'real world performance' reflects your dedication, resilience, flexibility and common sense far more than any standardized test can; and that while standardized tests can assure an adequate baseline of knowledge, which your 28-29 MCATs do, they can't measure the factors that differentiate between an adequate physician and a superior one -- compassion, inter-personal skills, humor, perspective, etc.

So in a nutshell, yes and no. Your MCAT scores demonstrate you have sufficient intellect to succeed in medical school, but they say nothing of who you are as a person, which is ultimately much more important.

I think they need to look at the WHOLE picture, not just MCAT and GPA which strongly favor those who can afford tutors and have a supportive environment. (I've known people who coasted through college meeting with 3 or more tutors a week who held their hand through every difficult problem... It would have been very difficult not to pull A's in that situation. It's an example of an unfair advantage. Their parents even paid for the tutors!) Same with the MCAT: Some people live with their supportive parents, have tutors, and do nothing but study.

While, on the other hand, others have to take the MCAT years after their prerequisites and while managing a full time job that's mentally, emotionally, and physically exhusting and requires overtime. I hope ADCOMs recognize this.

Then there's a whole debate online about whether or not standardized testing in general can predict success. Weak test takers can be successful too!

(As an aside, I've noticed that people who have many advantages often fail to see the obstacles that others face. That can result in the wrong idea that disadvantaged people/individuals either deserve the short end of the stick, or that the advantaged people have personally/individually earned their privilege.)

Last edited:
If anything, I would comment on your drop from 11 to 7 in verbal (?). That's not good, 4 points is big difference. You could comment about why you got that seven and why the 11 is a better representation of your abilities.

i'm technically prewriting, but the question has been the same for several years for the school im looking at.
Which anal ass school is this (pun intended)

edited

Last edited: