One semester of O.Chem enough for DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kane

The hard way is the right way
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm running into trouble trying to take the first semester of O.Chem concurrently with the first semester of G.Chem in the informal post-bacc I'm trying to register for this Fall.

Conceivably, I could take it in the Spring if I do well this semester and try to make my case again to the instructor.

My question: How much of O.Chem II is covered on the DAT?

Thanks in advance.

Kane

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I have to say-

First off, I have NOT taken the Dat (Sept 14)

I took the "easy" O Chem teacher at my school, got A's but learned nothing. Yes, adding in 8 credits of A's was great, but I learned nothing...well very little.

When taking Kaplan's tests I did horrible!!!! I sat down, though, for 2 weeks, maybe 2-3 hours a day and understood why I missed the problems. NOTE- I did take ochem II so even though I got stuff wrong, I did have a sense (i could at least eliminate 2-3 answers everytime) of the questions.

After that intense studying, I'm very confident I could pull an 18 in Ochem on the real thing. (I'm being very conservative with saying 18).

So, yes, Ochem II is necessary, but if you put in some time if you haven't taken it (im talking some serious time), I say go for it.

I think that "sense" will be important to me, knowing the way I study.

It's just that I thought I read here that the DAT pretty much just covers the stuff from the first semester.

Thanks.

buy kaplan blue book. know that absolutely cold and you should be fine.
make sure to cross reference anything you don't undertand with a textbook or somehting.