One semester off enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

booswim542

Walkin' on Sunshine
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am graduating from undergrad in December and I am planning on starting med school in Fall 2007. I have been reading several of the threads that talk about taking a year off, and hoped someone would be able to give me some advice. Is one semester off enough or do you think it's worth it to take the following year off too?
Just from experience, maybe someone could give me an opinion. Did anyone take off just one semester and are happy with it?

Members don't see this ad.

booswim542 said:
Hi,
I am graduating from undergrad in December and I am planning on starting med school in Fall 2007. I have been reading several of the threads that talk about taking a year off, and hoped someone would be able to give me some advice. Is one semester off enough or do you think it's worth it to take the following year off too?
Just from experience, maybe someone could give me an opinion. Did anyone take off just one semester and are happy with it?

it depends what you want to do in that time. for travel, it should be more than enough time for a tour of europe, which is what my friend did with her semester off. as for work, it might be hard getting a job when you are only planning to stay for half a year. also too short to get an MPH, or some other master's degree, unless you've already got tons of credit. you might be able to do some research during that time. or just have fun! plenty of time for that!

Thanks riverie, I am planning on a trip to Europe with old high school friends in late April. I am currently working in a lab where the PI said he'd hire me as a tech after graduation. I am just worried that this is really my last time to have some sort of freedom. I also don't want to take off too much time and feel lost once I'm back in school.

booswim542 said:
Hi,

Take the semester off, dont work if you dont have to. Enjoy your trip and when you come back, act like you are still in Europe. Party right up until you start school. You wont feel lost, but you will be plenty happy! I wouldnt take the following year off though, unless you really have a good reason. One semester is a good amount of time!