OneNote for Mac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aklark

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OneNote is now free for Mac users, but it seems there's no way to import .pdf and .ppt like you apparently can with PC. Anybody know how to do this? Is it due for an update this summer?

I plan to use OneNote as my primary annotation tool for lecture handouts (I like Evernote, but you can only attach the files), so I'm considering getting a cheapo PC for this purpose.

Members don't see this ad.

The Mac and iOS versions of onenote are trash currently. Why get a new computer instead of using bootcamp or a VM?

Yeah, just dual boot. Hopefully you have a big enough hard drive. I find the Microsoft Office suite for Mac to be total garbage - even things like Word, Outlook, etc. are incredibly buggy. If I'm doing anything more than document viewing or basic document creation, I boot to Windows or use the OSX equivalents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, just dual boot. Hopefully you have a big enough hard drive. I find the Microsoft Office suite for Mac to be total garbage - even things like Word, Outlook, etc. are incredibly buggy. If I'm doing anything more than document viewing or basic document creation, I boot to Windows or use the OSX equivalents.

How big is a big enough drive? My Mac is 4GB. I'm not sure if that's big enough to dual boot. Or does it make more sense to just buy a new laptop? Because there's no way this Mac oneNote is going to do the job I need when classes start. Thanks.

How big is a big enough drive? My Mac is 4GB. I'm not sure if that's big enough to dual boot. Or does it make more sense to just buy a new laptop? Because there's no way this Mac oneNote is going to do the job I need when classes start. Thanks.

Not your RAM, your hard drive space. I have a macbook air with a 250 GB hard drive on which I run Parallels, which is essentially a dual-boot program that allows you to run windows/OS X. Parallels takes up about 2 GB on my computer, but I don't do much on windows but run OneNote. you don't need an entirely new computer just to run onenote. Save your money, get Parallels and a copy of Windows and you're good to go.

Not your RAM, your hard drive space. I have a macbook air with a 250 GB hard drive on which I run Parallels, which is essentially a dual-boot program that allows you to run windows/OS X. Parallels takes up about 2 GB on my computer, but I don't do much on windows but run OneNote. you don't need an entirely new computer just to run onenote. Save your money, get Parallels and a copy of Windows and you're good to go.

Yeah, you're right. I have about 120+ GB on my MacBook, so I'll do as you suggested, and save my money. Thanks again!

Yeah, you're right. I have about 120+ GB on my MacBook, so I'll do as you suggested, and save my money. Thanks again!

I'm assuming you have a 128 GB drive then. Everyone uses their computer differently, but IMO that really isn't enough space to run a viable dual boot system. That 128 GB of space is actually only 100-110 once you take into account space you can't use due to OSX and other components of the drive. If you want to install Windows, the OS itself will probably take 10-20 GB just to install. That leaves you with roughly 40 GB of space in each OS if you were to divide it evenly. That's not very much to me, but if you just use your computer for basic uses with minimal music, high res photos, gaming, etc. then you'd probably be fine.

Thanks! This looks perfect. Had no idea this was a thing.

This looks like what I need to run OneNote on my Mac. Do people prefer VM or Parallels?

You can now import PDFs on the new version of OneNote for Mac

Can you please tell how to do it?

If you've updated to the latest version, it's as easy as dragging a PDF into OneNote, and a printout will be inserted automatically. If it is still a powerpoint file, you have to go into Powerpoint and save as --> PDF before importing.

If you've updated to the latest version, it's as easy as dragging a PDF into OneNote, and a printout will be inserted automatically. If it is still a powerpoint file, you have to go into Powerpoint and save as --> PDF before importing.

Is this for the Mac version? Bc I've updated my oneNote and still no luck dragging my lecture slides into oneNote. My school has some issue with making PowerPoint extension files available so they give the slides to us in PDF format. So I usually use preview to open my slides and annotate. But then I'd like to store the file in onenote and I have no luck dragging the whole file/ lecture slides into oneNote, there's no insert a PDF icon, and the print to oneNote function isn't there either. I've tried changing the extension of the file to pptx, ppx, png and still no luck.

Thanks for the response by the ways!

Is this for the Mac version? Bc I've updated my oneNote and still no luck dragging my lecture slides into oneNote. My school has some issue with making PowerPoint extension files available so they give the slides to us in PDF format. So I usually use preview to open my slides and annotate. But then I'd like to store the file in onenote and I have no luck dragging the whole file/ lecture slides into oneNote, there's no insert a PDF icon, and the print to oneNote function isn't there either. I've tried changing the extension of the file to pptx, ppx, png and still no luck.

Thanks for the response by the ways!

Hmm. My guess would be that you aren't on the newest version then. If you go to "help" --> "what's new", you can easily find your OneNote version. Mine is 15.2 and everything works smoothly.

Hmm. My guess would be that you aren't on the newest version then. If you go to "help" --> "what's new", you can easily find your OneNote version. Mine is 15.2 and everything works smoothly.

You're right. I was able to finally get the update and everything's good now. Thanks for your help!!