Online Biochem 1 during the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittyy

Mizzou c/o 2018!!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for an online biochem course to take over the summer. I already took biochemistry at UCF, but unfortunately that course did not fulfill the prereq at Ohio State University. They told me I can retake biochem 1 at a different school over the summer online and send them the course info before hand to make sure it meets their requirement.

I know there are a lot of threads on these forums talking about biochem classes online and I've been digging through them, but I'm not having a lot of luck. The course offered at UC Berkley DOES fulfill this requirement, but I'm trying to find one that isn't self-paced. I know this sounds awful, but I'm just really bad with self-paced courses and if I can find one that has a set schedule that would be ideal.

Please let me know if you know of any colleges that may offer it online, over the summer, and not self paced. I will look into any mentioned schools. I have thought of the one offered by New England, but I've read some bad reviews after they redid it.

Thanks,
Kittyy

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The U of MN offers an online Biochemistry course - I'm not sure whether or not they offer it over the summer and you'd probably have to get the exams proctored, but that's the course I took. (http://onestop2.umn.edu/courseinfo/...1145&searchSubject=BIOC|Biochemistry#BIOC3021) I think that link should work...
Thank you for the quick response.

However, this course will end on 8/22 and I need one that ends before 8/13.

Does anyone else know of any schools? I dont need you to check the dates for me, I will do all of that.

Thanks,
Kittyy

I took the UNE Biochem course online over the winter. It was a tough class, but I learned a lot and its definitely doable. I did it while working about 30 hrs a week. It took a lot of studying time, but the professor was pretty timely on answering emails. All the schools I applied to did accept it without an issue. I took an extra 2 weeks to complete it. They are pretty flexible! :)

You say you took an extra two weeks, so it's self paced?

I have a bad history with self paced and I know that's my own fault but I would rather just enroll in a course that isn't self paced

It is self paced, It took a few weeks for me to adjust, but I got a rhythm going and I was ok after that!

Oregon State offers Biochem online. They do a condensed biochem I and II over the summer, so I'm sure Biochem I ends well before 8/13. The lectures are on youtube, and I really liked the lecture style. It's a little hard because it's fast-paced (4 weeks to cover one term's worth of material), but not too bad.

The exams are required to be proctored, if I remember corretly. I can't remember if the professor gave us proctor options or required that we use proctoru (that's a 24/7 online proctoring thing, if you haven't heard of it). I think that the fees for proctoru are included in the course tuition.

Oregon State offers Biochem online. They do a condensed biochem I and II over the summer, so I'm sure Biochem I ends well before 8/13. The lectures are on youtube, and I really liked the lecture style. It's a little hard because it's fast-paced (4 weeks to cover one term's worth of material), but not too bad.

The exams are required to be proctored, if I remember corretly. I can't remember if the professor gave us proctor options or required that we use proctoru (that's a 24/7 online proctoring thing, if you haven't heard of it). I think that the fees for proctoru are included in the course tuition.
I'll look into this tomorrow, thanks!

Any other suggestions?

It actually has to be at a school that Doesnt offer biochem 2. I know its confusing...

But if anyone has a suggestion and isn't sure when the end date is and whether or not they offer biochem 2 that is ok.. Just as long as it is not self paced and I will look into the rest. All I can think to do is literally type in random colleges and see if they offer it. So far not too much luck so help would be appreciated !

Any other suggestions?

It actually has to be at a school that Doesnt offer biochem 2. I know its confusing...

But if anyone has a suggestion and isn't sure when the end date is and whether or not they offer biochem 2 that is ok.. Just as long as it is not self paced and I will look into the rest. All I can think to do is literally type in random colleges and see if they offer it. So far not too much luck so help would be appreciated !

I'm taking a course at CSU (BC 351) and it's pretty good so far. We have weekly deadlines for quizzes and then a one week window for each exam, so it's not really self paced but still gives you some flexibility. The lectures are recorded from his class on campus last fall, and he provides us with the PowerPoint files, study guide questions, and the book is online. You can have exams proctored by proctorU, which was great for me since I'm abroad right now, and the cost for that is included in the tuition.

I'm taking a course at CSU (BC 351) and it's pretty good so far. We have weekly deadlines for quizzes and then a one week window for each exam, so it's not really self paced but still gives you some flexibility. The lectures are recorded from his class on campus last fall, and he provides us with the PowerPoint files, study guide questions, and the book is online. You can have exams proctored by proctorU, which was great for me since I'm abroad right now, and the cost for that is included in the tuition.

Thank you for the info! I will forward this to the CVM and see if it meets their prereqs. And holy $$$$ that's not cheap.

Anyone else have other suggestions? (Just because $1500 is a LOT!)

I took the one at UC Berkeley. I think their module format makes it easier to keep track in a self-paced course. I think if you do like 2 modules per week, you'll be able to finish it in time (Mine had 12 modules). Let me know if you have any questions about this one.

Michigan State offers an online biochem course every semester! It is the whole semester and NOT self-paced. It is known for being quite difficult (although I don't think anyone would ever tell you that biochem is an easy subject...). The course is BMB 401 and it combines what my school calls biochem 1 and biochem 2 into one semester, so it might not be exactly what you are looking for. 4 credits and the tests are not online, so you'd have to find a proctor/pay a proctor depending on if you can find a local free one or not.

No weekly quizzes or homework whatsoever, unless the format has changed since I took the course. PM me if you have more questions!

Thanks for the info!

Hi everyone,

I'm also looking at taking biochem in the summer. I've narrowed it down to the following schools: UC Berkley Extension, University of New England and Oregon State.
If you have any experience with taking biochem at these schools please let me know which one you would recommend. I don't have a problem with self-paced classes but have never taken a class online....so I'm a bit worried about the format, testing, etc.

Any help in deciding would be greatly appreciated!

I wrote earlier about University of New England, but I don't mind talking about it again :) I loved the Ochem 2! It was a tough class for me and the way the professor did the class made it very understandable and doable. I actually finished the course about 2 weeks or so earlier which I did while working about 30 hours a week. The cost was fairly reasonable for the convenience and loved the rolling admission. I vote UNE :)

I'm going to be taking biochem I at West Virginia university (BIO339)

It is less than $500 and none of the tests are proctored.