Online biochemistry - Kansas State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

N1235

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about signing up for the online biochemistry course through Kansas State. Has anyone taken this before? Do vet schools accept it? I need a course that has organic chemistry as a prereq. This course lists general organic chemistry as their prereq..does that count? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In general, I've noticed that schools specifically state that they require a biochemistry course that has organic chemistry as a prerequisite. I would check with each individual school you plan on applying to.

Reactions: 1 user
In general, I've noticed that schools specifically state that they require a biochemistry course that has organic chemistry as a prerequisite. I would check with each individual school you plan on applying to.

Thanks! Even if I dont have a copy of the syllabus will the schools still be able to tell me if its acceptable or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Even if I dont have a copy of the syllabus will the schools still be able to tell me if its acceptable or not?
I'm not sure about that! It's likely they get asked about it somewhat often though, just give them as much information as possible. School offering it, course department and number, course description if available. I have a feeling they may tell you it's unacceptable if the course doesn't require be taken organic chemistry first. Depending on the school, of course!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Unless an admissions staff is already familiar with it from other students taking it I would think they'd ask for it. You can try, but if you email the coordinator for that biochem course and ask for a copy and explain why I'd be surprised if they said no.

Thank you both! I emailed the program director or a syllabus and explained my situation. If I dont get a response in a few days or so Ill go ahead and see if some Vet School admissions know what class im referring to witout a copy. fingers crossed this class is acceptable since it does have a prereq requirement of general organic chem.

Thank you both! I emailed the program director or a syllabus and explained my situation. If I dont get a response in a few days or so Ill go ahead and see if some Vet School admissions know what class im referring to witout a copy. fingers crossed this class is acceptable since it does have a prereq requirement of general organic chem.

General ORGANIC chem? Or just general chem? If it's organic chem, it will probably be fine.

I know , I was confused too by their general organic course.
But here is what the biochem course description says
Screenshot_20161006-202723.png
Screenshot_20161006-202517.png

And when I looked up what course CHM 350 was it shows its general organic.
Looks like you might be good to go with that one. HOWEVER, you'll still need to double check with individual schools to see if online prereqs are acceptable. Sometimes they will list this on their websites, others do not.

Looks like you might be good to go with that one. HOWEVER, you'll still need to double check with individual schools to see if online prereqs are acceptable. Sometimes they will list this on their websites, others do not.

Thanks for the help! I have heard back from multiple schools that this online course is acceptable! Woo hoo!