Online Calculus classes w/ proctored exam from UC Berkeley - is this an issue?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharmi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question on taking a couple of Calculus classes online through UC Berkeley Extension.

These 2 calculus classes would be the only online classes (with proctored exams) that I will be taking. I would love to take the in-class courses, but these classes offerred by UC Berkeley are usually during the day and I work full-time. I am taking all the other classes during my evenings/nights/weekends so it works way better with my schedule.
BTW, I will be taking a Statistics class as well this summer - but will be an in-class one. Some schools have a 2 semester calculus requirement while some that they need a semester of calculus and a semester of statistics.

Will taking these 2 classes be a problem ?

Members don't see this ad.

Anytime you take an online class you risk it not being accepted. The only way I have found to get information on a school accepting certain online credits is by going to the school directly and having them evaluate the course. There are exceptions, but they are rare.

I'm going to have to agree with the previous poster that while some schools will accept it, some won't.

I too have taken many classes at UC Berkeley Extension; however, I couldn't fit G-Chem II into my schedule and had the choice between taking it online or at a community college (and am opting for the latter). In my case, I figured since I'd taken G-Chem I (at a communtiy college) and both semesters of organic chemistry (at UC Berkeley Ext), that a junior college for the class is better than the stigma associated with an online course (and I already proved that I can handle rigor: all bio class at an Ivy, organic chem sequence at Berkeley etc.).

I have a question on taking a couple of Calculus classes online through UC Berkeley Extension.

These 2 calculus classes would be the only online classes (with proctored exams) that I will be taking. I would love to take the in-class courses, but these classes offerred by UC Berkeley are usually during the day and I work full-time. I am taking all the other classes during my evenings/nights/weekends so it works way better with my schedule.
BTW, I will be taking a Statistics class as well this summer - but will be an in-class one. Some schools have a 2 semester calculus requirement while some that they need a semester of calculus and a semester of statistics.

Will taking these 2 classes be a problem ?

Members don't see this ad :)
depends. will your transcript say Calculus Online, or will it just say calculus? If it makes no mention of it being online they won't know so go for it.

Just check with some of your top choice med schools and find out.

I took an online biochem (proctored final exam was the only grade for the whole course!) course and it was accepted at most schools I applied to. Just email the school (med school) directly, thats the safest way to go about it.

Berkeley extension offers nighttime 16A (intro calculus) - if you are local that should be fine with your work schedule?

http://extension.berkeley.edu/cat/course49.html

Yes - this one would work. Earlier I was thinking about taking this one - but later thought that I needed to take the harder calculus courses (MATH 1A and MATH 1B at UCBerkeley). Some of my friends are taking it at UC Berkeley itself - so they are fine. Since I work full time, I was thinking of taking these classes online.
I need a year of math - I am taking Statistics (in class) this summer. So another semester of this 16A in-class course (Analytic Geomerty & Calculus) course might be sufficient.

But I remember seeing some schools asking for specifically 2 semesters of Calculus. Is that true ? This is the only reason I was thinking of taking MATH 1A and MATH 1B online (in addition to statistics).

If you contact some select schools to determine whether your online class is accepted do it by email. That way you can back it up later is someone in the loop of receiving your application rejects it because of it.

does anyone know when you get your transcripts from berkeley extensions if it says the class was taken online or in class?

I have been wondering about this... AMCAS and AACOMAS don't seem to have a spot to indicate it's an online class, and it doesn't say on my transcript anywhere that it is an online course, or distance even for that matter, how do the schools even know that's what they are from a regular class? I don't believe for one second that AMCAS is going to call my schools and ask them if it's offered online and if they can verify that it was or wasn't online....

Not talking about Berkeley... just in general....

Just because the instruction is online doesn't mean it's an 'online course'. I think if you had proctored exams, that makes it like a normal course?

Just because the instruction is online doesn't mean it's an 'online course'. I think if you had proctored exams, that makes it like a normal course?

It depends. I took a few hybrid classes. Many schools don't mind this because you go for lab and have a 1 hour lecture a week on top of that, plus all tests are in class. However, schools like UF do not like this at all. They will not tell you right out that they do not accept hybrid or cc classes, but trust me, they don't. ;)

I know this thread is pretty old but I'm wondering if anyone has any issues since 2010 with UC Berkley online classes for "filler" courses, such as Cell Bio, etc.? I'll be working on my other courses at a local school on campus.

I'll be applying here in Texas (UT Houston, UT San Antonio, UTMB, Baylor) and possibly D.O. schools but not too many.

Thanks!!