online classes/certificate to raise my sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theparty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My overall uGPA is a 3.4 with a 3.1 sGPA & a 3.3 smpGPA (11/11/11 MCAT):
-cGPA: 3.4, sGPA: 3.1 <-- did badly in only the chem classes: would be like a 3.7 in bio/physics, but 2.5 in chems. Spent last 2 years there on the dean's list after chem was finished, so upward trend.
-SMP at east coast public medical school: 3.3 <-- got single C- that pulled it down.

OPTION A: I'm considering taking the following online classes via WMU, MSU, and CMU (I'm in-state for MI and would like to keep the costs as low as possible):

WMU = $2200
BIOS 1980 Human Form and Function - 4
STAT 1600 Statistics And Data Analysis - 3

MSU = $3900
BMB 401 Comprehensive Biochemistry - 4
PDI 830 Concepts in Molecular Biology - 2

CMU = $6400
AST 111: Astronomy - 3
AST 112: Introduction to Astronomical Observations - 1
BIO 105: Introductory Quantitative Biology - 3
BIO 151: Human Biology - 3
BIO 315: Human Genetics - 3
BIO 338: Human Ecology - 3

Total = $12,500 for 29 sGPA credits.

OPTION B: "Western Michigan University's specialty program in alcohol and drug abuse offers a graduate certificate." ( http://www.wmich.edu/addictionstudies/academics/grad/courses ). The reason I'm considering this is because along with my essay, etc, I would like to ultimately go into psychiatry or EM. I'm not sure how relevant this degree would be, or how adcoms might view it, but it's at least something I've considered. I realize this would not directly affect my sGPA, but thought it might strengthen my application by showing specificity in my preparation for what I want to do.

Total = $9000 for the graduate certificate when done online.

Do either of these options make any sense? Do you have comparable alternative suggestions? Both are completely online and wouldn't require me having to take anymore time off or move to a college campus (WMU is within driving distance, but if I could do work online spread over the schools above, I would prefer that). Please let me know your thoughts on these options, or suggestions on alternatives.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know if med schools look favorably to online classes

I cannot speak for admissions but I just finished an online class from a 4-year university (nonscience...that nasty liberal arts core) and it was the world's easiest class. Med schools cannot see that it was online, but if they could, I wouldn't do it again. I put in zero effort and got a 99%. I think the online classes would be a waste of money and an easy way to boost that science gpa that schools would see right through.

Also, some schools do not accept online science courses, while others only accept some in certain areas so you would want to research that. There are also programs to raise your sGPA to help prep you for med school. I think that is your best option, though I personally think option B looks really cool. (I have that same interest in EM.) If I were in your position, I would NOT DO option A.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if med schools look favorably to online classes

According to CMU: "

Last edited:
are you only applying to those schools?

are you only applying to those schools?

No, applying to 20-30, but those are my top choices, and based on location / price, if I were accepted to one of those, I would most likely be attending (I wouldn't financially qualify for scholarships/financial aid, and am a fringe candidate based on the numbers, so I don't think schools will likely be throwing money at me in hopes to lure me in).

you should check with all the schools you're applying, before dropping thousands of dollars. For example, i know stanford does not look kindly upon online courses

OK, so having gone through MSAR/websites, I've come up with the following information in regards to online class credit:

ACCEPTS:
Michigan State
Central Michigan
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Oakland
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Florida International
Indiana
Tulane
Louisville
Cincinnati
Georgetown

DOESN'T:
Eastern Virginia
Toledo
Brown
Quinnipiac
Alabama
George Washington

UNKNOWN:
Drexel
New York Medical College
Loyola
Medical College of Wisconsin
Kentucky

Going to email each of the schools on the UNKNOWN list to find out, and in terms of the DOESN'T list, only 1 of my top 10 choices is on that, so favoring taking the classes at the moment...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users