Online classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haley.jo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I searched through the threads but couldn't find my answer and I'm hoping someone here will know. I'm active duty military and don't have the ability to take some of these classes until I'm out next summer. Do you know if any of the prerequisites are allowed to be taken online?
Any other military members going into vet school?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that varies by school. You would need to call the schools you want to apply to and ask directly.

Many schools don't have an issue with a few pre-reqs being taken online through reputable programs. However, you should not plan to take any course that requires a lab online, nor should you plan on taking the majority of your hard sciences online.

Definitely contact the schools that you're interested in, explain your situation, and ask about online courses. It will help to have an idea of where you plan to take what class since some online programs are known to be sketchy and others not. I recommend emailing over calling because many schools with put any email correspondence you have with them in your file so that when they review your application, if they have any questions about why you took those online courses, they will see that you took the time to check with them first. Plus you can attach syllabi if needed for each school to approve.

Also, if you don't have experience with online courses already, be sure to look at how the class is structured (completely independent study, weekly deadlines, times you have to check in to watch lectures, etc.) and consider how that would work with your specific time constraints and learning style.

Members don't see this ad :)
Figure out which vet schools you're interested in, and ask them. It varies a lot. At several schools I applied to, I had no problem taking quite a few prereq's online. Including a virtual physiology lab (I also took regular A&P lab, so maybe that balanced it out), and an online physics lab where I had to get my own lab kit and email in my reports.

I second allykd's advice about making sure the online courses work for you. It also might be a good idea to try just one online class first if you've never taken an online class before (I'm not sure if you plan to take one at a time or sign up for several in one term). I think they take some adjustment for some people, because it's a bit different planning out time to work on your online classes instead of attending scheduled lectures. And sometimes there's more reading because of the lack of in-person lectures.

Check with your local colleges. There are usually some biology courses like anatomy and physiology, genetics, etc. Unfortunately most of the options don't open up unless you have biology 1 done as a prerequisite.

If you don't have biology 1, CLEP it at the education center on base. Then you can take the online classes. You will need to take Biology 1 for most all the veterinary colleges even if you CLEP it to get ahead with some of the other courses.

I am in the same boat. I don't get out until December and the only classes I need are the science prerequisites.

What branch are you in? Air Force here.

The only school I ran into when applying that had a problem with online classes for pre-reqs was UGA, and they don't accept very many OOS people (I considered applying there until I realized just how few people they took at the time). I took Physics 2 online with the lab and none of the other schools (I presume) had a problem with it.

Not sure I would recommend taking any major prereqs online (Bio, Chem, other science classes). Not only that I don't feel you'll learn as much, but also because I doubt they're accepted. Talk to the schools though to be sure. I'm 13 years Army so I had all of my electives taken care of between my military courses and prior college classes from slowly knocking out an unrelated Bachelor's online. If you need math classes, those are probably ones you could take online (Calculus is the main prereq more universities require to take advanced classes). My main recommendation is this though: Don't waste your time, money and energy on online classes with a random school unless it is the school you will be attending once you're stateside. The new school will most likely make you repeat some of them (personal experience). If you can get into your target school now and take their online courses that will be directly applied, that would be the best plan. Anyone that has already been accepted and took online courses would be the best person to comment on this though. I've learned a few rough lessons over the years, but let me know if you have any other questions.

I am in UF's online microbiology program, so all my upper level bio classes (biochem included) are online. I am applying to UGA and I emailed them the syllabi, course description and exam proctor info for the courses. They emailed me back and said they would accept my courses. Hope that helps a little :)

Reactions: 1 user
As far as CSU is concerned, they do not care what-so-ever what classes are taken online. I went up there for a file review and saw my application as they look at it and they do not show whether or not a class was online. I even asked to double check with Dr. Hardy, and she said that as long as the class is taken at an accredited school, pretty much anything can be online, including lectures that have a lab attached to it, as long as you get the lab taken care of as well. Granted, I only have 1 online class (evolution), which is only offered online at my main school. A girl from my school is currently attending Iowa and was accepted off the waitlist for Oklahoma, and she took O-chem I lecture online.

So, basically, it is school-by-school basis. However, most labs will not be accessible online, so have to be taken in person. I couldn't imagine trying to take some labs online to begin with though.

I took biochem and animal nutrition online and none of the schools I applies to had an issue with it. I think most schools understand that it's not always possible for students to get every course they need on campus at their school, also some students want to take classes over the summer to get ahead.

My issue was while my school offers animal nutrition, it's a vet tech course that's only 2 cr. and it doesn't cover much of anything large animal related or much of the "science" behind nutrition (from what I've heard, it's basically just an overview of prescription diets and they throw a bunch of Purina and Science Diet paraphernalia at the students). So I opted to take that online.

As for biochem, my school doesn't offer it every year because there's not enough demand for it. They weren't offering it this year and it's the only course left that I needed so I took it over the summer through OSU. It would have held me back an extra year from applying to vet school if I didn't.

Last edited:
The only school I ran into when applying that had a problem with online classes for pre-reqs was UGA, and they don't accept very many OOS people (I considered applying there until I realized just how few people they took at the time). I took Physics 2 online with the lab and none of the other schools (I presume) had a problem with it.
where did you take your physics online course with a lab?

where did you take your physics online course with a lab?
I took my online physics with a lab through the University of MN. They mailed me a "lab kit" full of circuits and springs and magnets and thermometer and random crap to use in the labs :p It was pretty funny and entertaining to do the labs at home. Pricey class (I got a discount because I was working at the U at the time) but worked out well for me at least.

Has anyone taken Oregon's online orgo course?

Has anyone taken Oregon's online orgo course?
Nope but I took their online Biochem course and really enjoyed (well as much as a chem course can be enjoyed lol). Don't most of the schools require lab for orgo though? Oh and one other warning - Oregon is is on a quarter system not a semester system so for some of the schools that are strict about credit hours the credits could come up short.

I took animal nutrition online at K-State and LOVED it. I didn't do fantastic in my first biochem course so I decided to retake it online through K-State also last summer. It was really hard if you have no biochem background but I highly recommend their online courses. And, since I enjoyed both of them so much, I've taken a few other courses online through them too. They're affordable for OOS students and great quality.

Nope but I took their online Biochem course and really enjoyed (well as much as a chem course can be enjoyed lol). Don't most of the schools require lab for orgo though? Oh and one other warning - Oregon is is on a quarter system not a semester system so for some of the schools that are strict about credit hours the credits could come up short.
I've already taken all of my pre-reqs, I'm just looking for options should I need to re-apply (and retake 2 or 3 classes)! And thanks for the heads up about the quarter system, that's something I'll have to look into if I need to go down that road.

Where would you guys recommend taking online math courses. I'm looking at the cheapest price, good education for online, and most importantly that it's accepted at Washington state and Oregon state.

Where would you guys recommend taking online math courses. I'm looking at the cheapest price, good education for online, and most importantly that it's accepted at Washington state and Oregon state.
If the most important thing is that it's accepted at WSU and OSU then maybe take it from them? If they don't offer it then I would call their admissions office and ask them to recommend one that they would accept.

I am in UF's online microbiology program, so all my upper level bio classes (biochem included) are online. I am applying to UGA and I emailed them the syllabi, course description and exam proctor info for the courses. They emailed me back and said they would accept my courses. Hope that helps a little :)

How would you rate your experience with UF online microbiology degree?

How would you rate your experience with UF online microbiology degree?

I like it a lot! I have 2 children, 13 and 3 years old. So it allows me to get all my classes done and be a stay at home mom. This was important to me since I knew that if I got into vet school I wouldn't have as much free time. Plus daycare is so expensive!! I will say that trying to retain information from the lectures with screaming children and barking dogs running around is quite a feat!

I will say that you have to be super dedicated and manage time well. It's so much easier to get sidetracked when you don't have to go to class on a regular basis. I constantly find myself saying, "Oh, I'll get to watching that lecture later." Then next thing I know I have a test in a few days and I haven't viewed one lecture :confused:. I also would find myself half way through a lecture and realize I just spent the last 10 minutes gazing out the window at squirrels chasing each other in the yard! The professors are usually pretty accommodating as far as scheduling exams, they usually give you a 24-72 hour window to take the exams. They know that people work and have other stuff going on, hence the reason for being an online student! :) The exams are proctored via webcam with ProctorU and you have to schedule them in 3 days advance (to avoid a late fee). I usually have to take my exams after 10pm to make sure everyone is sleeping when I take my exams, so the time window is great for me.

The lectures for the core classes are usually on-campus lectures that are recorded. So, there are regular on-campus students in the same course as the distance students. A lot of the professors make sure to include the distance students as much as possible. If you have to do group projects it's usually a huge ordeal...Generally the distance students are grouped with other distance students, but it's almost impossible to get everyone to agree to a time to meet up online to get stuff done. Thankfully, I didn't have too many group projects to do!

Sometimes it's hard to really get what's going on in the class. For example, if a student asks a question and the professor answers, you usually can't hear the student's question. Sometimes the professor will repeat the question so we can hear it too. One professor I had for molecular genetics was great in that he had 3 options to watch the lectures. He had the regular UF recordings (where the camera is stationary), then he had a student come in and record the lecture (so the student could change angles, zoom in, etc) and he had narrated ppt recordings. I personally liked the latter.

The one thing that's a bit troublesome is that you have to do the micro labs in person, for obvious reasons. You can take it in Gainesville on-campus or if you're lucky enough to have a school near you that has a 2 credit micro lab and will allow you to just take the lab (w/o the lecture), you can take it as a transient student. If not, then you have to either take an accelerated 10 (maybe 11, I can't remember) lab in Gainesville that they offer once a year. They started offering a regular lab in Davie, FL (dependent upon enrollment needs) if you live near there. Then you have to either do research or take the advance micro lab, an accelerated 6 day lab in Gainesville (also offered once a year).

So now that I gave you a long answer LOL, my short answer is I think it's a great program! I got accepted into 2 of the 3 vet schools I applied to (UTK & UGA), so it helped me to fulfill both my educational and personal goals! If you have any other questions let me know! :D