Online Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marberry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on completing prerequisite courses in preparation for PhD/PsyD, and have taken most everything through community college. However, there are a few courses that aren't offered (Learning, Cognitive, Tests and Measurements). I'd like to so something online, but not sure which programs are legit. Does anyone have recommendations? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A few programs require an experimental course such as learning or cognitive. Tests and Measurements is "highly recommended" as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had cog psych as an undergrad, but I don't remember any programs asking about T&M back when I applied. Especially since most reputable programs wil have you take a psychometric type of class in the program anyway.

I highly recommend Harvard Extension School... their classes are online, in person, or both (as in, the class lets you attend in person or online, and it's the same class with the lectures streamed). I took grad-level Abnormal Psych through it, and chose to do most of the class online even though I lived just a few minutes away :). It was taught by a Harvard professor who said she taught undergrad every other year, and HES every other year. Also, their transcripts are free to send, which is very nice for applying to grad school later on.

Reactions: 1 users
I highly recommend Harvard Extension School... their classes are online, in person, or both (as in, the class lets you attend in person or online, and it's the same class with the lectures streamed). I took grad-level Abnormal Psych through it, and chose to do most of the class online even though I lived just a few minutes away :). It was taught by a Harvard professor who said she taught undergrad every other year, and HES every other year. Also, their transcripts are free to send, which is very nice for applying to grad school later on.

Thanks, I find this helpful, there are too many programs online and hard to know which ones are legit. Of course it's "Harvard" so that is already big reputation points but to know someone who actually went through the program and liked it gives you that reassurance.

No problem! About a month or two after I took the class, I emailed the professor asking about some life advice (I was considering whether or not to pursue psychology, which is why I was taking night classes in the first place). She wrote back a really motivating email- and she probably doesn't know this- but it was one of a handful of things that convinced me to go for it. Abnormal Psych is the only class I took through HES, but I learned a LOT, really enjoyed the online lectures, and the professor and TAs were very approachable, both in person and online.

Don't have any other recommendations, but I hope you find what you're looking for!

I took a couple courses through University of Massachusetts online programs before applying to PhD programs. I couldn't actually find anything on the transcript that even mentioned they were online rather than in the brick in mortar building. I've also heard good things about the Brigham Young online courses (in general, not specifically psychology), and they were considerably cheaper when I looked, but that was years ago.