Online Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sms25

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good online animal science, poultry science, and animal nutrition courses? I need to take them, but there is no local college that offers any of those courses. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently enrolled in NC State (I'm in Virginia) because they offer two online Animal Nutrition courses (principles and comparative). From what I have read they are both completely online (you don't need to visit the campus for orientation or testing, etc). I still need to do some research, but I noticed the classes were filling up so I wanted to enroll and register ASAP.

sms25 said:
Does anyone know of any good online animal science, poultry science, and animal nutrition courses? I need to take them, but there is no local college that offers any of those courses. Thanks!

Hi SMS,

This is a list of online courses that meets the requirements for U of F. I got this right from them, and all of these classes are acceptable to UF. Depending on the school, your milage may vary...

OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY
Course: ANSI 3543 Principles of Animal Nutrition (equivalent to UF animal nutrition)
ANSI 1124 Intro to the Animal Sciences (equivalent to UF animal science)
Phone: 405-744-6390
Fax: 405-744-3420
Address: Independent & Correspondence Study
001Classroom Building
Stillwater, OK 74078-4061
Email: [email protected]

UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY
Course: ASC 380 Feeds, Feeding (equivalent to UF animal nutrition)
Phone: 1-800-432-0963
Fax: 606-257-5171
Address: Independent Study Program
Room 1, Frazee Hall
Lexington, KY 40506-0031
Email: www.uky.edu/UExt/

MURRAY STATE UNIVERSITY
Course: AGR 100 Animal Science (equivalent to UF animal science)
Address: Dean of Continuing Education
1 Murray State
Murray, KY 42071-3308

KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY
Course: ASI 318 Fundamentals of Nutrition (equivalent to UF animal nutrition)
Phone: 785-532-5566 or 1-800-432-8222
Email: [email protected]

Good luck!

Oldie

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there. I just wanted to caution you to check with the colleges you plan to apply to before you take a course online because some veterinary programs do not honor online course work or have certain restrictions on it.
Obviously, many schools are fine with online courses/taking particular courses online, but it would be a good idea to check with the particular schools you are considering to be sure.
Also, there is some discussion about online courses in the earlier thread titled: Indedendent or Online Courses.

Has anyone taken any of the distance learning courses through Oklahoma? As I said previously, I did enroll in NC state to take Animal Nutrition through them, but the class filled up and I'm having isssue logging in. So, I took the advice posted on the thread to check out Oklahoma State. It looks like they offer quite a few animal science courses (5) through thier "independent study" program.

Anyone have anymore info?

Thanks.

mokadet said:
Has anyone taken any of the distance learning courses through Oklahoma? As I said previously, I did enroll in NC state to take Animal Nutrition through them, but the class filled up and I'm having isssue logging in. So, I took the advice posted on the thread to check out Oklahoma State. It looks like they offer quite a few animal science courses (5) through thier "independent study" program.

Anyone have anymore info?

Thanks.

I took the animal genetics course (ANSI 3423W) through OK State last summer. The course materials were sent in a timely manner, the website for the course was farily easy to navigate and homeworks were graded quickly. The instructor was available through email, getting answers back to me in several hours. The only hang-up was the IC&S office sometimes having trouble sending out my exams on time. I would schedule the exam time with my proctor and fax the request for the exam to be sent to the proctor well in advance. But, I think on two occasions, the request was lost or misplaced because I had to resend the request and wait longer. It threw off my schedule (since I wanted to cram it into three months), but in the end, I was able to finish up the class on time.

I took animal nutrition online through Purdue and it was a great course, very informative, the prof was available by email and got back to me ASAP. I had to have someone proctor the exams for me, but other than that everything else was pretty straightforward and easy!

snowyegret said:
I took the animal genetics course (ANSI 3423W) through OK State last summer. The course materials were sent in a timely manner, the website for the course was farily easy to navigate and homeworks were graded quickly. The instructor was available through email, getting answers back to me in several hours. The only hang-up was the IC&S office sometimes having trouble sending out my exams on time. I would schedule the exam time with my proctor and fax the request for the exam to be sent to the proctor well in advance. But, I think on two occasions, the request was lost or misplaced because I had to resend the request and wait longer. It threw off my schedule (since I wanted to cram it into three months), but in the end, I was able to finish up the class on time.