Online Degree? Next step?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shewillrun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd get some input on this. I'm nearing 30. I am almost finished with my BA which was an online degree. I essentially tested out of most of my courses via CLEP, GRE Subject tests (Psychology and Biology), and have taken some upper division courses separately. It's obviously a degree meant for those who work full-time and needed a degree they could accomplish on their own time. It's fully accredited and was through Charter Oak State College...a fully accredited college with a brick and mortar location.

Since many of my courses didn't have a letter grade to them, I'm wondering what the next step is. Surely it's great to test out of a course through self study or by taking an official exam but it doesn't quite give me a GPA to show. I have healthcare background as a CNA/EMT and am currently and administrator at a financial firm. I'm now in the process of applying for part-time positions in a hospital setting. I am not sure if I should take the course requirements for medical school individually and just try to blow the MCAT out of the water OR take on an entire post-bacc prep type of program and then do the MCAT and apply. Individual courses would be less of a financial investment and easier with my current work schedule to allow me to stay financially sound and save up a bit more but I'm just not convinced it would be enough? I hear many opinions from friends who are currently in medical school. MANY say that if you do well in those individual courses and extremely well on the MCAT that it'll do. It comes down to the MCAT apparently. But then I hear others tell me opposite. Does anyone else have a non-traditional type of undergraduate degree?

I will be applying to California medical schools only (this is non-negotiable and for personal reasons) and will be going via the HPSP Scholarship through the military. I am open to DO. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thank you for any input you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

Take the prereqs and see where your gpa stands after that...cali only will make this harder....what's your gpa now?

My combined gpa is 3.6. Science gpa for basic undergrad science (Bio/Chem) is 3.4. Other science courses (Physics, Psych) I tested out of.