Online Genetics course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveMyHotDog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Im interested in taking an online course to satisfy my prereqs. Has anyone taken genetics online? Any feedback?

Members don't see this ad.

I took online genetics from WSU to fulfill the pre-rec. I learned quite a bit and really liked the class. They used video streamed lectures and you took the three exams through a proctor.

Plus- it was a pretty easy A.

I took a Genetics course online through the U of MN. It was an odd extended term course - which meant that I had 9 months from signing up for it to finish it. Overall it was mostly "teach yourself the material," but I managed to figure out a system that worked for me and it went pretty well. The biggest problem I had was procrastination, since it was a 9 month course we set up our own deadlines for homework and exams, so it didn't really matter if we followed them or not. It was difficult at first for me to keep to my schedule, but once I started treating it more like a "real" class, it went well.

I don't think it was necessarily an "easy A" class though, the material was pretty in depth and the exams really tested your knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also took online genetics from WSU and had a similar experience. Seemed like a decent course, was a pretty easy A for me.

I also took online genetics from WSU and had a similar experience. Seemed like a decent course, was a pretty easy A for me.

Thanks guys! I was looking at WSU, but unfortunately for me it's a little pricey. Looking into UMN now!

Keep suggestions coming!

I took it online through Oregon State. A lot of it was textbook work and no online videos of lecture (like a lot of other online courses I have done). It was okay. I think the majority of the grade was a midterm and a final.

Oklahoma state has animal genetics giving 1 year to finish. Pretty easy and much cheaper.

I took the OK State one too and really liked it. I got the book on Amazon which was cheaper than through the school and ended up paying around $500 for the class I think? There were 12 homework assignments and 4 non-cumulative tests.

How do the tests work? I've looked into a few online classes, and all of them say you have to go to the campus to take the midterm and final exams. What do you do if you sign up for a class offered by a school that's not in your area?

How do the tests work? I've looked into a few online classes, and all of them say you have to go to the campus to take the midterm and final exams. What do you do if you sign up for a class offered by a school that's not in your area?

I had to find a proctor. That could have been through a professional service (like where some places give the GRE) or you could find your own. I used the HR manager at my job. She had to be approved first, but after that the tests were mailed to her at work, she gave them to me and monitored the closed-book definition section. The second section of the test was open book short answer (but that wasn't that helpful since it was a timed test and there wasn't time to look up everything). When the test was complete, the HR manager signed a form and mailed everything back.

When I have taken them a lot of the online courses have used Proctor U, which is an online service where a third party administers the test to you through your computer and then watches you while you take the test (you have to scan your laptop/camera around the room before you start so they can make sure you don't have any textbooks/notes out). It's a little weird to think someone is watching you through your computer but I did that several times and you forget about them once you get into your test.

I have also had online courses where they allowed you to find a moderator in the area. They suggested using a college near you or a learning center (typically they have a list of criteria the moderator has to meet). The moderator then has to fill out a form, submit it to the school you are taking the course through, then the school will send them the exam.

I had to find a proctor. That could have been through a professional service (like where some places give the GRE) or you could find your own. I used the HR manager at my job. She had to be approved first, but after that the tests were mailed to her at work, she gave them to me and monitored the closed-book definition section. The second section of the test was open book short answer (but that wasn't that helpful since it was a timed test and there wasn't time to look up everything). When the test was complete, the HR manager signed a form and mailed everything back.

When I have taken them a lot of the online courses have used Proctor U, which is an online service where a third party administers the test to you through your computer and then watches you while you take the test (you have to scan your laptop/camera around the room before you start so they can make sure you don't have any textbooks/notes out). It's a little weird to think someone is watching you through your computer but I did that several times and you forget about them once you get into your test.

I have also had online courses where they allowed you to find a moderator in the area. They suggested using a college near you or a learning center (typically they have a list of criteria the moderator has to meet). The moderator then has to fill out a form, submit it to the school you are taking the course through, then the school will send them the exam.

Thanks!

I took it online through Oregon State. A lot of it was textbook work and no online videos of lecture (like a lot of other online courses I have done). It was okay. I think the majority of the grade was a midterm and a final.

Macita - How difficult was the course at Oregon State? Was the professor responsive? This is the last course I need before starting vet school (I was recently accepted wooo!), so I'm really not trying to overwork myself. I hate to admit it, but I'm kind of looking for that 'easy A'.... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't think it was too difficult. The exam questions all came from the material from the textbook so as long as you keep up on the readings/understand the concepts you should be fine. From what I remember the professor was pretty timely in getting back to any emails I sent her (I took it a couple summers ago).

Congrats on the acceptance btw

I took genetics online through UNC Chapel Hill over the summer. It was a 10 week course with mostly online quizzes and hw and then a proctored 3 hour final. The class was mostly teaching yourself through the book but it was very structured so I didn't feel like I could procrastinate and get behind so it was good. It was pretty expensive though :(

I didn't think it was too difficult. The exam questions all came from the material from the textbook so as long as you keep up on the readings/understand the concepts you should be fine. From what I remember the professor was pretty timely in getting back to any emails I sent her (I took it a couple summers ago).

Congrats on the acceptance btw

Thank you!! I wasn't expecting it...nice Valentine's surprise :):love:

And thanks for the insight!

I signed up for Animal Genetics through Oklahoma State University correspondence education. In case someone reads this in the future:

-Really simple enrollment, no need for applying to the school. I did everything over the phone.

-Only $580, including the book I rented from Amazon.

-Approved by Minnesota and Ohio State (although I'm sure this is case by case and may change in the future. So verify with your school of preference)

-You have up to a year to complete it.

Thank you all for your input!

I signed up for Animal Genetics through Oklahoma State University correspondence education. In case someone reads this in the future:

-Really simple enrollment, no need for applying to the school. I did everything over the phone.

-Approved by Minnesota and Ohio State (although I'm sure this is case by case and may change in the future. So verify with your school of preference)

Glad it worked out. :thumbup:

For those checking out this thread in the future... I do NOT recommend UC Berkeley Extension. The assignments were obscure (not related to the reading), took a ton of time, and were harshly graded; the instructor was shockingly slow to grade assignments (like up to 3 weeks to grade one assignment! and you're not supposed to submit another until you get the previous one back!); and it seemed that more than half of those who registered dropped out. Go elsewhere.

For those checking out this thread in the future... I do NOT recommend UC Berkeley Extension. The assignments were obscure (not related to the reading), took a ton of time, and were harshly graded; the instructor was shockingly slow to grade assignments (like up to 3 weeks to grade one assignment! and you're not supposed to submit another until you get the previous one back!); and it seemed that more than half of those who registered dropped out. Go elsewhere.

Yes! I saw the reviews on that course...TERRIBLE! they lure you in with the cheap price tag and then screw you over. Additionally, I think you have to wait several weeks after taking the course in order to take the final. NOT what I need since I have to finish the class by May.

Hi there!

How did you end up liking Genetics online at OK state? I am looking to take it over winter break if they offer it. I already have lots of genetics background, and books, so I hope it won't be too hard.... I need an A!

I took online genetics from WSU to fulfill the pre-rec. I learned quite a bit and really liked the class. They used video streamed lectures and you took the three exams through a proctor.

Plus- it was a pretty easy A.

Hello!

Can you tell me the structure of the class? I am very interested in taking genetics online, and hoping that they offer it during the winter break. Was it fairly easy, and easy to understand?

Hi there!

How did you end up liking Genetics online at OK state? I am looking to take it over winter break if they offer it. I already have lots of genetics background, and books, so I hope it won't be too hard.... I need an A!
Don't know if the price is the same, but I took it and it is at your own pace, so as soon as you get your first assignment in, it can be done pretty quickly. Easy to understand as you do the homework and the the proctored exams. Very basic but is generally accepted as a 4 yr university course. :)

Can anyone tell me how to get the link to the Oklahoma State animal genetics class and course number? I tried finding it, and cannot. Thank you!

Can anyone tell me how to get the link to the Oklahoma State animal genetics class and course number? I tried finding it, and cannot. Thank you!
Looks like they might not be offering it anymore. These are the names listed for contacting them to find out.

Outreach Contacts
OCampus Representative
Cecilia Boardman
[email protected]
(405)744-6786
Agriculture Science & Natural Resources
Mary Ellen Givens
[email protected]
(405)744-5395

Looks like they might not be offering it anymore. These are the names listed for contacting them to find out.

Outreach Contacts
OCampus Representative
Cecilia Boardman
[email protected]
(405)744-6786
Agriculture Science & Natural Resources
Mary Ellen Givens
[email protected]
(405)744-5395

Nooo I'll be so upset if they don't offer it anymore! Thanks so much for these contacts! I will email them both and find out. Thanks again.

I heard back from Mary Ellen at OK state today by email, saying to check back for the summer semester for genetics. Just thought I'd share since I had the same question before the holidays and thought it might help somebody else looking.
I'm looking at taking it at K State, having the lectures would be nice. But the correspondence course would be good for me too since I work full time, including odd hours. Plus, might be a little cheaper. Decisions decisions... :rolleyes:

If you take the K-State course I highly recommend watching all of the lectures!

Reactions: 1 user
Good to know! Thanks! Did you like the class?

It was okay. Not my favorite class but not bad by any means. I feel like the material gets more interesting mid semester. The instructor is good at replying to emails so that's a plus.

When would the summer class start, and is that a definite?

Still looking for a good, manageable genetics class to hopefully start in February.
Not sure which class you're referring to, but:
Looks like the summer K State course starts June 6th. The spring class starts Tuesday.
And the OK state course, if I recall correctly, is a correspondence course that could start whenever. However, the response was pretty vague so not sure that I would count on it being available.
Hope that helps.

Not sure which class you're referring to, but:
Looks like the summer K State course starts June 6th. The spring class starts Tuesday.
And the OK state course, if I recall correctly, is a correspondence course that could start whenever. However, the response was pretty vague so not sure that I would count on it being available.
Hope that helps.

I was hoping to take the Oklahoma State course, but since not 100% sure when it's offered, I can't risk waiting.

Does anyone know of any good genetics courses online that start anytime and you can finish at your own pace?

I, too, am interested in taking genetics online. I just tried looking at the Oklahoma State one and it's not even listed as a course option http://is.okstate.edu/CourseList#...?

I know UNE offers online courses that you have 16 weeks to finish and I believe they start weekly? My problem with them is how expensive they are. $1400 for one class and you have to pay it all when registering the course :-/. http://online.une.edu/science-prerequisites/online-genetics/

If there are any other suggestions that are cheaper/offer payment plans for online genetics, I would definitely be interested in knowing about it!

I, too, am interested in taking genetics online. I just tried looking at the Oklahoma State one and it's not even listed as a course option http://is.okstate.edu/CourseList#...?

I know UNE offers online courses that you have 16 weeks to finish and I believe they start weekly? My problem with them is how expensive they are. $1400 for one class and you have to pay it all when registering the course :-/. http://online.une.edu/science-prerequisites/online-genetics/

If there are any other suggestions that are cheaper/offer payment plans for online genetics, I would definitely be interested in knowing about it!

I wrote a full response and it must've gotten erased..

Anyway what I wrote is that I'm planning on taking mine through Oregon State. And online animal genetics class it starts March 31st. The reviews for the teacher are great and it's less money UNE and this one is $1100.. still expensive but less.

I did extensive research on all possible online genetics courses I could take, and Oregon had the best reviews. The University of New England teacher has horrible reviews.. That's another reason why I chose not to go with them.

I would've loved to do the Oklahoma State class but they're no longer offering it and I can't risk waiting to see if they do.

Hope this helped!

I wrote a full response and it must've gotten erased..

Anyway what I wrote is that I'm planning on taking mine through Oregon State. And online animal genetics class it starts March 31st. The reviews for the teacher are great and it's less money UNE and this one is $1100.. still expensive but less.

I did extensive research on all possible online genetics courses I could take, and Oregon had the best reviews. The University of New England teacher has horrible reviews.. That's another reason why I chose not to go with them.

I would've loved to do the Oklahoma State class but they're no longer offering it and I can't risk waiting to see if they do.

Hope this helped!

How did you like the course? Who was your professor? The professor teaching now has horrible reviews so I am assuming it was not the same professor--I would love to hear your experience.

How did you like the course? Who was your professor? The professor teaching now has horrible reviews so I am assuming it was not the same professor--I would love to hear your experience.

Haven't started it yet... Starts next week

QUOTE: For sure I will! Not sure how many times it is offered a year... Check and see if OK state is offering genetics this summer. They used to offer an animal genetics class online for about $600 but stopped after this fall semester to revamp the class. So annoying since I needed it this spring ugh! Otherwise check online at OSU and see the classes. It is the animal genetics class.

It would be WONDERFUL to hear how it goes. Where did you see good reviews online? I had looked at that course and had ruled it out from the horrible reviews I read. You said you did a lot of research for this course. When I looked, I did not see good reviews (i.e. ratemyprofessor). Or--perhaps I was looking at the wrong course (perhaps I was just looking at the regular Genetics). Who is the professor for your course? Any chance you could upload a syllabus?

Yes, that OK state course would have been great! But they have not been offering it for some time. I keep checking, but it is gone.

Oh--did you have all of the prerequisites for the Oregon State course? It looks like they require ANS 121. If that is true, that's not really a possibility.

THANK YOU, again!

Last edited:
QUOTE: For sure I will! Not sure how many times it is offered a year... Check and see if OK state is offering genetics this summer. They used to offer an animal genetics class online for about $600 but stopped after this fall semester to revamp the class. So annoying since I needed it this spring ugh! Otherwise check online at OSU and see the classes. It is the animal genetics class.

It would be WONDERFUL to hear how it goes. Where did you see good reviews online? I had looked at that course and had ruled it out from the horrible reviews I read. You said you did a lot of research for this course. When I looked, I did not see good reviews (i.e. ratemyprofessor). Or--perhaps I was looking at the wrong course (perhaps I was just looking at the regular Genetics). Who is the professor for your course? Any chance you could upload a syllabus?

Yes, that OK state course would have been great! But they have not been offering it for some time. I keep checking, but it is gone.

Oh--did you have all of the prerequisites for the Oregon State course? It looks like they require ANS 121. If that is true, that's not really a possibility.

THANK YOU, again!

Don't know where my post went..hahaha!

UC Berkley has a class online for $850. Does anyone know of a cheaper one?

So I will now give an update on the online Animal Genetics course through Oregon State University. I am in week 9 now and it is an 11 week class (well technically 10 weeks with the 11th week being the final).
So the class is a lot of work, but doable. Just do not take it if you have a lot going on. There are a lot of assignments to do during the course, and ones that are due every week. I don't have any comparison in whether to say that this class is "harder" or more work than another genetics class, but at least with this one it is an Animal Genetis class. So I believe it would at least be more interesting than just a regular genetics class. So far it has been good, but it is s good amount of work.

I have finals coming up so I can write more in a few weeks. Or, you if anyone wants to message me with questions, you definitely can and I will write back as soon as soon as I can.

So I will now give an update on the online Animal Genetics course through Oregon State University. I am in week 9 now and it is an 11 week class (well technically 10 weeks with the 11th week being the final).
So the class is a lot of work, but doable. Just do not take it if you have a lot going on. There are a lot of assignments to do during the course, and ones that are due every week. I don't have any comparison in whether to say that this class is "harder" or more work than another genetics class, but at least with this one it is an Animal Genetis class. So I believe it would at least be more interesting than just a regular genetics class. So far it has been good, but it is s good amount of work.

I have finals coming up so I can write more in a few weeks. Or, you if anyone wants to message me with questions, you definitely can and I will write back as soon as soon as I can.

Thank you SOOO much for your update. I would love to hear how it goes after the final. I'd also like to hear how you felt the exams were. Did you feel the material presented was directed in a way that you could do fine on the exams without studying minute details that were not emphasized? How was the format? Did you feel the tests were fair? Etc?

Again, thanks for posting!

Thank you SOOO much for your update. I would love to hear how it goes after the final. I'd also like to hear how you felt the exams were. Did you feel the material presented was directed in a way that you could do fine on the exams without studying minute details that were not emphasized? How was the format? Did you feel the tests were fair? Etc?

Again, thanks for posting!
I am sending you a PM now!

If anyone has questions, you can message me about the class!

Hi,
I know this is kind of an older thread but I am interested in taking an online genetics class with the university of phoenix but I cannot find any reviews on it. Is there anyone who knows about the class I have never taking a major course online and would really like to know what it is like.

Thank you

Hello! New here. I'm also trying to find information about the Genetics course at University of Phoenix - BIO410. I've searched the web high & low, but I can't find any reviews. It's a 5-week course (which definitely appeals to me). I'm curious to know if anyone has a course syllabus they might share? I'd love to see how the grading works (tests, research papers, assignments, etc). I know Genetics courses can range from easy-ish to super intense, and I'm trying to stay far away from "super intense," if you know what I mean.

Thanks for any inside information!