Online medical education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CodeRedDew

Thirst Quencher
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the rising costs in healthcare education and healthcare in general, do you guys think that medical school lectures will ever be completed renovated to where they are all online? It would be in a format similar to how the Pathoma lectures are but of course more tailored to the detail required in the first two years of medical school. Obviously this is the foundational basis of the idea and I haven't included any details about pertinent problems that may arise, but that's why I posted here - to see what you guys thought. But, I mean think about it, what is class anyway? It's nothing more but a regurgitation of the material in a book in powerpoint form, sometimes extremely poorly done regurgitations.

Members don't see this ad.

It's already starting to happen. I haven't gone to any biochem, genetics, or histology lectures since the first week of school thanks to recorded lectures.

My school stopped having live anatomy lectures a few years back and now just posts the old ones online for our viewing pleasure.

Members don't see this ad :)
With the rising costs in healthcare education and healthcare in general, do you guys think that medical school lectures will ever be completed renovated to where they are all online? It would be in a format similar to how the Pathoma lectures are but of course more tailored to the detail required in the first two years of medical school. Obviously this is the foundational basis of the idea and I haven't included any details about pertinent problems that may arise, but that's why I posted here - to see what you guys thought. But, I mean think about it, what is class anyway? It's nothing more but a regurgitation of the material in a book in powerpoint form, sometimes extremely poorly done regurgitations.
Yes, but what does this have to do with the rising costs of medical education? If a school ever went completely online, tuition would be exactly the same but there would be an increased technology fee.

It's already starting to happen. I haven't gone to any biochem, genetics, or histology lectures since the first week of school thanks to recorded lectures.

My school stopped having live anatomy lectures a few years back and now just posts the old ones online for our viewing pleasure.

This. I'm usually only ever on campus for anatomy dissections, required small group stuff, and exams.

Talking to the 2nd years, my school has stopped doing Path lectures. The students watch the Pathoma lectures, and the Path faculty does Q&A sessions, case studies, etc.

Talking to the 2nd years, my school has stopped doing Path lectures. The students watch the Pathoma lectures, and the Path faculty does Q&A sessions, case studies, etc.

I wish we would do this. I gave up on our path lectures, used Pathoma for understanding the material and then hammered the nitty-gritty details from the class notes + Rapid Reviews Pathology. Saved me like 10 hours of watching lectures and I scored >90% on the last exam. Pathoma is an amazing resource. He explains concepts more thoroughly in 10 minutes (or less!) than a 1 hour lecture.

If your school is alright with students purely learning from Pathoma as a primary source there must be something wrong... Pathology is an immensely important subject. Students learning all their pathology from a lecturer who uses 2 bullet points a slide is absurd. His verbal lecture on pleural pathology is like 3 minutes long. Boom, expert.

If your school is alright with students purely learning from Pathoma as a primary source there must be something wrong... Pathology is an immensely important subject. Students learning all their pathology from a lecturer who uses 2 bullet points a slide is absurd. His verbal lecture on pleural pathology is like 3 minutes long. Boom, expert.

If you read the post, they do Q&A sessions to supplement it, case studies, I'm sure they still do the assigned questions we had from Big Robins. But, we've done ridiculously well on boards the past few years. They obviously know what they're doing. While, I agree with the notion path is incredibly important, you're probably not a teaching expert. I think the idea is that your time is better used with Pathoma/self study than it is in hour long path lectures.

Amazing! You mind saying what school?

yeah well when you're trying to memorize a whole bunch of facts, it's a lot easier when you have a strong basic framework to begin with
pathoma does a really good job of explaining things in a way that's easy to understand and hits the important points which gives you a good foundation to build on
also a 20 minute lecture done on 1.7 speed is easier to get through than a 1 hour lecture

Yeah they must be screwed since no medical students are ever expected to supplement their learning outside of lecture.

My school (osteopathic) does all 2nd year material online. We're sent to our clinical rotation area and we take our lectures from the mothership by podcast. We attend class 2x per week for 4 hrs each time. Beginning of the week we get an overview of the weeks material from a faculty member that's assigned to us, and at the end of the week we meet for small group cases covering the week's material.

2nd year was awesome for me, and I did well on the step-1 COMLEX and USMLE and on rotations so far so I don't think it was a negative.

Pathoma and RR are both awesome. Definitely great resources to cover basic concepts in pathology.

However, after you start rotations, it becomes painfully obvious how many important details they don't cover.

i think new schools will start to offer this type of curriculum. i don't see old school schools switching. i would be all for it, personally.